Filmed at 120FPS, choppy at 24FPS

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

NOVA24

Filmed at 120FPS, choppy at 24FPS

PostSat May 25, 2019 11:03 pm

Using Resolve 16 Beta.
Shortly, I filmed with a GoPro at 120FPS all of my clips.
I know I'll put Resolve to much more extensive use in the future but for now all I wanted was to flip the image (which I successfully did), and save it as a 24FPS video.

Whatever I choose, the final video after delivering it, ends up choppy and 'synthetic'.

Attempt #1:
My project settings are at 24fps for the Timeline frame rate. I import the 120fps clip, and change nothing for the Clip Attributes (I.e. the video frame rate is set the Custom). I drop it over the timeline, it maintains its 10sec duration. I export it, doesn't matter which codec or bitrate (the quality option, which at default is set to Automatic: Best), it comes out choppy, very unsmooth.

Attempt #2:
My project settings are at 24fps for the Timeline frame rate. I import the 120fps clip, and change the video frame rate in clip attributes to 24 FPS. Adding it to the timeline, it now plays at 40 seconds obviously. I change the clip speed to play at 500%.
Alas, when exporting it, it again comes up choppy same as before.

What should I do to convert the 120FPS raw footage to 24FPS footage?
I've been going crazy for the last two days over this.

Before people rage for not using the search option, I swear I have, and have come up with nothing which was of help.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Filmed at 120FPS, choppy at 24FPS

PostSun May 26, 2019 3:52 pm

It's expected behavior: you have 5 frames at 120 per each frame at 24. The machine is simply dumping 4 of them and keep the fifth: having the shutter angle 1/5 of the 24 fps, you have no motion blur.

I assume that you wish to blend the 5 frames together instead of dumping them
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

NOVA24

PostMon May 27, 2019 9:20 am

Yes, that was my bet - only one of each five frames is integrated, the other four are dumped.

Is this my only option?
And if so, how can I configure this?

Thanks so much for helping a newbie (with aspirations :D)

NOVA24

PostMon May 27, 2019 9:37 am

Yes, I presumed this was the issue: only one of the five frames from the 120 FPS clip is integrated each 1/24th of a second.

Is this the only way to go about it?
How do I configure this blending?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 27, 2019 12:30 pm

Please review the chapter in the manual about all the variable speed change processing options.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon May 27, 2019 3:31 pm

NOVA24 wrote:Using Resolve 16 Beta.
Shortly, I filmed with a GoPro at 120FPS all of my clips.
I know I'll put Resolve to much more extensive use in the future but for now all I wanted was to flip the image (which I successfully did), and save it as a 24FPS video.

Whatever I choose, the final video after delivering it, ends up choppy and 'synthetic'.

Attempt #1:
My project settings are at 24fps for the Timeline frame rate. I import the 120fps clip, and change nothing for the Clip Attributes (I.e. the video frame rate is set the Custom). I drop it over the timeline, it maintains its 10sec duration. I export it, doesn't matter which codec or bitrate (the quality option, which at default is set to Automatic: Best), it comes out choppy, very unsmooth.

Attempt #2:
My project settings are at 24fps for the Timeline frame rate. I import the 120fps clip, and change the video frame rate in clip attributes to 24 FPS. Adding it to the timeline, it now plays at 40 seconds obviously. I change the clip speed to play at 500%.
Alas, when exporting it, it again comes up choppy same as before.

What should I do to convert the 120FPS raw footage to 24FPS footage?
I've been going crazy for the last two days over this.

Before people rage for not using the search option, I swear I have, and have come up with nothing which was of help.

There is no golden method. Why do you shoot at 120p if you want 24p output?
Shoot 24p and only scenes which you want to slow down at 120fps.
You don't shoot with given fps only because a camera can do it :D

Do method 1 except change in Resolve main project settings "Retime Process" to Optical Flow. You may get some artefacts, but video will be smooth.

NOVA24

PostTue May 28, 2019 6:26 am

Hi Andrew,
I filmed 120fpa because this was my first run with the camera, and my brother who’s the owner of it suggested doing so (it works well for him but his editing in Adobe Pr).

I’ve done as you suggested, but I find it hard to tell if there’s any improvement.
Could there be another/additional configuration which will benefit with smoothening the output

Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve