Problem with syncing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

blimey

Problem with syncing

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 12:12 am

I have a problem which derives from an HD video camera which generated old but valuable movies in the M2t format seemed to have intermittent glitches which affected timeline.The resultant videos all play normally. However to edit them with Da Vinci Resolve they must be converted to Pro Res 422.mov
This works well, however in the transcoding process the videos develop unacceptable Audio Video syncronisation issues occurring randomly. VLC media player now will play Pro Res files, and has a feature that will allow the AV synchronisation to be modified to and allows the timing error to be estimated. Thus I need to be able to apply this change to the Pro Res movie to allow the file to be edited successfully by Da Vinci 16.1. I was encouraged to that new sync features had been added to 16.1 but could find nothing in this area. Is there any way that I can accomplish this? T
Thanks
TErence

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Problem with syncing

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 1:34 am

It's likely you need to use a different tool to translate the MT2 files so they dont create the out of sync condition.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Gary Hango

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 1:55 am

Terence, our church’s Canon camcorders create the same type of files where long takes create several separate files that make up the full duration. If you simply copy the separate files from the card to your computer, import these into Resolve, and place them end to end on the timeline, it’s possible to get a glitch and audio desync at the file boundaries. What I do is use a free program called tsmuxer that uses the playlist file on the card to copy the video to the computer as a single m2ts file with no glitches or audio desync. I then use ffmbc to copy the video and convert the audio to PCM from the m2ts file, rewrapping them into a QuickTime mov file (I created a utility that does this all at once). The new mov file works perfectly in Resolve.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

blimey

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 12:38 am

HI Gary Thanks for that tip. It may be that this is what happened though now I have M2T movies which have been joined. I was looking at MKVMuxer which did not give any way to find the "glitches" nor to modify the sync. I had tried different Muxers several years ago and don't know whether they caused the problem or whether it was in the camera. The original clips were recorded on tape. and thus went through several stages to get onto a hard drive so there is a whole chain of weak links.
Thanks for your help.
Terence

Gary Hango

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 12:48 am

Ah, okay, these must be HDV files transferred by firewire to the computer that probably had tape glitches. Your best bet may be to separate video and audio to separate files. Import these into Resolve and sync manually.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

blimey

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 1:39 am

Gary thanks for your comment. Your assumption is correct exacerbated by the fact that I had to find a way to get Firewire into a PC. The problem with manual syncing is what brought me here as I can find the duration of the sync error, but not a programme that will do the correction with a Pro Res 422 file.
After think about the suggestion that have been made I went away to see if going through a conversion frome M2s to H264 .MOv would work.. It produces a file without the sync problem but in Da Vinci 16.1 I find that the outlines of moving objects get jagged ripples which I suppose comes from a failure of my machine to handle the compressed data. However will that be eliminated when I render the files?
Maybe that is the way I have to go?
Terence

blimey

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 2:40 am

Peter Chamberlain I apologise for missing your reply. There is some truth in what you say. I am using Prores ER (ER media toolkit). It is superb and I have had great help from them. For some reason the programme that transcodes the file multiplies the sync error enormously. I assume that there is an initial sync error which is unnoticeable but the output error is multiplied perhaps by as many times as the file is expanded. I a beginning to wonder whether I should try to compare the original sound and video track with the expanded one to see if I can use that to resynchronise the output. At the moment I am unable to use ProRes or DnxHD for some of the videos and just have to edit the compressed files. Is there a more complete system in the professional Da Vinci reserve.. Also do you have something there to handle big echos from terrible rooms?

Return to DaVinci Resolve