16.1 FINAL still no easing on position keyframes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

Re: 16.1 FINAL still no easing on position keyframes

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 4:40 pm

for everyone who wants to do simple position/scale/rotation animations for elements in the edit-timeline, i would recommend to go to the color tab and use the dynamic keyframes. it has a curve-editor that actually works. generators like text cannot be transferred to the color page (i think), but you could first make a compound clip in that occasion. still not ideal and very basic, i had a hard time making a ''bounce''-effect, but for more advanced animations i would eventually still recommend fusion or other apps..

i made a few cool things already with it, hope it helps.

i hope that in the future more functions could share across the different pages. this could help get rid of all these complaints. almost every single function that can be useful for an editor is present in resolve, just not in the best way, yet. I mean, why develop further the current keyframe-system in the edit page, when you have a super-powerful spline editor already sitting there in the fusion page? if it's user-interface-simplicity, i would say make a very small button ''reveal super-powerful spline editor'' It's probably not that simple, but theoretically speaking.

i could see the fusion page merging with the color page. imagine an implementation of the spline-editor from fusion to the color page (or maybe the edit?), together with the same generators as in the edit page, like text. you can have such an improvement for so many workflows. When the implementation of fusion was announced i almost wet my pants, so excited. but nowadays i keep avoiding it as much as i can, with the color page as my first escape. also for greenscreening and animations, ironically.

i share the frustration, that there is a ''neural engine'', face recognition, boring detector, while many basic functions are far from polished. it is just not sexy to advertise with ''polished basic functions''.

but bmd would surely benefit from a 'perfect' resolve. If stuff like this never get fixed, it will get a reputation and people will walk away. So i bet resolve as it is now is far from finished.

eventually i'm always able to produce cool stuff, which is the most important i guess. maybe we are all spoiled.. but it's never wrong to think of how things can be improved i guess.
resolve 16.2.1
windows 10
i7 6950x
2x gtx 1080 8gb
96gb DDR4 3200

Jim Simon

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 7:20 pm

I am seeing a change in behavior with a project started in an early 16 beta, but it's still not the correct behavior.

For starters, we still only have two options when right clicking on a keyframe in the Inspector.

Linear
Ease In and Out

We need all four options that were available and working in 16b4.

Linear
Ease In
Ease Out
Ease In and Out

Here's a scenario that demonstrates why.

Keyframe 1 is set to 40
Keyframe 2 is set to 60
Keyframe 3 is set to 60
Keyframe 4 is set to 80.

Keyframes 2 and 4 need Ease In to smooth out the 'landing'. But an Ease Out on Keyframe 2 produces incorrect behavior, a swing in the Position between keyframes 2 and 3 when the image should remain fixed. That "fixededness" is achieved with a Linear out. We need both Ease and Linear on the same keyframe.

The individual Ease options really need to come back to produce correct behavior.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffrey Hahn

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Agreed. BM has dropped the ball with some of the basics of DR. We need these tools to work properly to do our jobs. I've invested thousands and thousands of dollars in BM hardware and software. I don't want to switch back to Premiere, but given the state of DR at the moment, I'm having a hard time staying. If BM seems more interested in adding new, half-baked features, rather than fixing old bugs that are necessary for us to bring in revenue as editors, I'm beginning to see the path that we must take. Between this bug, and Fairlight not playing nicely with Waves plugins, I think the management and devs need to take a serious look at their development roadmap, and perhaps, even apply the brakes.
--
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K, w/ SSD recorder, URSA 4K
Mac Pro 6,1 / 8 core Intel Xeon, 3.5 GHz / 64 GB RAM
Ultrastudio 4K
DR Editor Keyboard
Blackmagic Thunderbolt SSD Dock
Resolve Micro Panel
2 TB SSD cache, 16 TB project array, 36 TB project archive

chrisconway

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 11:01 am

Hi

There is an easing on the color page keyframes now. Not sure when it was implemented. Its not brilliant but it does work.

Page 2412 of the 16.1 Manual

When you set your dynamic keyframes you can right click on the dynamic keyframes and select 'Change Dynamic Attributes' it bring up a pop up window with a curve path. Start dissolve and End Dissolve, as I said it not the best easing spline and could be improved on (fusion splines please).

Chris

Mel Matsuoka

PostSun Nov 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Yikes! Let me pile on here in regards to this issue. Just ran into it myself in 16.1.1, and I can't believe that this is still an issue.

Thankfully you can work around it to a certain extent, by animating the "Input Sizing" parameter in the Color page, and using the "Change Dynamics Attributes" key framing option to add basic ease in/out to moves. But you can't do bezier curve adjustments that way.

This really should be near the top of the "must fix" list for the next version. I'd rather the menu options for ease in/out not even be there, instead of having it be there, yet it doesn't actually do "what it says on the tin", as our friends in the UK would say.
Resolve Studio 16.1.1.005 / Decklink 4K Extreme (11.4.1) / MacPro5,1 (macOS 10.13.6, 3.46 Ghz 12-core) / 96GB RAM / Boot: 500GB SSD / GUI: GTX 780 (6GB) / COMPUTE: GTX 1080ti SC (11GB), in Cyclone 2707 PCIe chassis / ATTO NT11 10Gb / SNS EVO NAS (10GbE)

chrisconway

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 7:30 am

I think it would be a good idea is the Fusion team and Resolve team sat down together. Taking the splines from fusion and implementing them into resolve would be great. Taking the colour wheels and curves from Resolve and piping them into fusion would be great.

There are some amazing features in each, sharing the best with each programme would make it so much better and more intuitive to work with.

Please ‘sort out those splines guv’ (as we say in London)

Chris

deanphillips1991

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 2:17 pm

This fixed yet?
PC:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight Core CPU
Motherboard: ASUS® PRIME X370-PRO
RAM: 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE
GPU: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 -

Macbook:
2.4GHz 8-core i9 processor
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB
32GB RAM
2TB SSD storage

fgreen

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 9:19 pm

I just upgraded today with v16.1.2.026, and the timeline easing of position still seems pretty much unchanged from v15.

I hope I am missing something-- or is it still not working?
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve