Navigate from fusion comp to timeline and back

• Author

Stephen Dixon

Navigate from fusion comp to timeline and back

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 6:43 am

In AE if I nest a comp in another comp and then nest that in another comp, and so on, I can navigate up and down the hierarchy with the tab and arrow keys easily. But if I'm in a fusion comp and want to get to the source timeline (the hidden one that gets made if I created it using New Fusion Clip I have to go back to the edit page, select the relevant clip and then choose Open In Timeline and to get back to the Fusion comp I have to again go back to the edit page, select the fusion clip, and then choose edit in Fusion Page go back to the fusion page. Compare and contrast with tab+Left arrow in AE.
This is very tedious. And it gets very confusing when there are several layers of nesting going on, particularly with the 'hidden' meta-timelines that don't show up in the project anywhere. In fact they need to get in the bin, they're really unintuitive and annoying.

philipbowser

Re: Navigate from fusion comp to timeline and back

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 9:27 pm

I'm curious, why are you nesting several layers inside of each other in the first place? The benefit of node-based compositors is that you don't need to "pre-comp" in the same way that you do in After Effects. Do you need to have so many nested compositions?

There are hotkeys you can setup to switch between pages, open timelines, and you can also assign "Open in Fusion Page" to a hotkey. It's not quite the same as pressing Tab in After Effects, as DaVinci Resolve navigation is more complex than just navigating comps, but it should hopefully help you speed up your workflow a bit.

Stephen Dixon

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 5:57 am

Nesting is less important in the Resolve workflow, granted, but when you have several source clips in a fusion comp and you need to edit the timing you need to hop up and down the hierarchy which gets old super fast.

My current project is super high resolution—a multi screen projection. To be actually able to render it I have to separate it into components or I flat out run out of GPU RAM every time, so I'm having to nest things and pre-render, and navigating between them is taking the shine off my new found enthusiasm for Resolve I tell ya.

Tekkerue

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 9:55 am

+1

It's much easier to time things in the timeline than the keyframe editor in Fusion. I would love to have a timeline panel to work directly with nested timelines inside of Fusion. They could provide the option to select a nested timeline and open it, then move back up to the parent timeline all within Fusion. That would be great.

Maybe this is a separate feature request, but I'd also love a way to switch the viewer to show the final output from Resolve (after the Color page) inside of Fusion to avoid having to go to the Edit page to preview in its final form.

These two things would eliminate so much page hopping in and out of Fusion.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

philipbowser

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 4:21 pm

Ah okay, I see why that would be frustrating then.

I'm not sure if this would work for your setup, but a potential work-around for the time being could be to not use a "Fusion Clip" (which doesn't actually bring in the original media but rather references a track in a container timeline thing) and instead create a separate Fusion Composition and then bring in the MediaIn nodes manually from the media pool. This way you'll have access to the total duration of the original media which you can then adjust the timing of. And then within that comp you can branch of pre-renders / cache specific nodes that are processor intensive, keeping everything in one Fusion comp. So if the timing of a MediaIn node changes up stream, you just pre-render / cache again and you won't have to hop back and forth between timelines. Might not be the fix for your scenario though.

That being said, I would love it if Fusion Clips would reference the original source media at its current timing, and at its original resolution as opposed to the timeline resolution that the Fusion Clip is currently in. Or at least provide an option to replace the selected clips with a Fusion Comp instead of creating a Fusion Clip timeline thing.

bentheanimator

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 6:03 pm

There's nothing as elegant as the Tab in Ae BUT there is a pretty fast solution that I use to hop in and out of Timelines for the most part.

In the Shortcut editor, look under the Edit section and you'll find two shortcuts to help. Set them as follows.

"Cmd+Shift+4" - Open Selected in Editor
"Cmd+Shift+5" - Open selected in Fusion

The feature request that I put in earlier is a command for "Return to Previous Timeline" as a way to traverse UP the chain.
So the full set goes...

"Shift+4" - Go to Edit Page
"Cmd+Shift+4" - Open Selected in Editor
"Cmd+Shift+5" - Open selected in Fusion
"Shift+4" - Go Back to Edit Page
Then select the main timeline from the viewer window or double click the little path at the bottom of the timeline.

Fastest way I've found yet.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.4
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

Stephen Dixon

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 11:34 pm

As a relative Resolve newb I'm finding that workflow with Fusion comps using footage coming from cut sequences is really clunky. Creating standalone Fusion comps means that you don't end up with hidden timelines (I've also had the experience of 'losing' a Fusion comp that I was working on because I cut the source clip in the edit page), but timing footage in Fusion is tricky, particularly if you're using multiple footage items. In AE / Premiere it's clunky too, but at least there's a more intuitive timeline for editing footage in AE.

Stephen Dixon

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 11:37 pm

Tekkerue wrote:+1

It's much easier to time things in the timeline than the keyframe editor in Fusion. I would love to have a timeline panel to work directly with nested timelines inside of Fusion. They could provide the option to select a nested timeline and open it, then move back up to the parent timeline all within Fusion. That would be great.

I'm not up to speed yet with the Fusion API, but I wonder if this might be something you could do with scripting. Create a panel (a bit like Rift for AE that let you visually retime clips.

bentheanimator

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 3:08 am

Create a new MediaIn node and set it to Background. It punches a hole back into your timeline so you can see the edits below the comp. It does sound too. Know that as of 18.6.2, there seems to be a memory bug that will start to eat RAM if some cases. It also causes the caching system to break if it's used to make final picture so turn off the MediaIn node when you're done with it. I usually set up a transparent background and Boolean the MediaIn node on it so I can flop between the two by disabling the Boolean node.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.4
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

Tekkerue

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 2:39 pm

Stephen Dixon wrote:I'm not up to speed yet with the Fusion API, but I wonder if this might be something you could do with scripting. Create a panel (a bit like Rift for AE that let you visually retime clips.
Yeah, I haven't gotten that deep into Resolve's scripting capabilities yet, so I'm not sure if that's possible. Having an actual mini-timeline panel would be idea as it would allow for trimming, fading, moving clips to different tracks, etc. all from within Fusion. I'm not sure how much of this is doable via scripting.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

Stephen Dixon

PostMon Dec 11, 2023 2:43 am

bentheanimator wrote:Create a new MediaIn node and set it to Background. It punches a hole back into your timeline so you can see the edits below the comp. It does sound too. Know that as of 18.6.2, there seems to be a memory bug that will start to eat RAM if some cases. It also causes the caching system to break if it's used to make final picture so turn off the MediaIn node when you're done with it. I usually set up a transparent background and Boolean the MediaIn node on it so I can flop between the two by disabling the Boolean node.

Wait, what? This is a great tip, thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests