Toggle source/record timeline

• Author

gabe67

Toggle source/record timeline

PostTue Aug 15, 2023 2:36 pm

Please finally let us toggle between the timeline of the record and the source window!!

Like Avid (preferred functionality):

Like Premiere (a bit more complicated):

This is especially important when editing sequence to sequence. I know that you can swap the content of source to record but that is very confusing and defeats the purpose of having two monitors in the first place.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5, MacOS Ventura, Macbook Pro M1 Max

John Paines

Re: Toggle source/record timeline

PostTue Aug 15, 2023 5:31 pm

This request comes up every few weeks, from Avid veterans. It's an invaluable editing feature which invariably leads someone or other here to inaccurately claim that you can already do it in Resolve. You can't, not with timeline swap and not with stacked timelines.

gabe67

PostTue Aug 15, 2023 8:02 pm

Well.. if it's so frequently posted, I wonder why they don't implement it.. And yes, as of now - it can't be done. But nowadays, even Premiere can do it. So strange because it seems like such an easy fix and will draw a ton of editors towards Resolve, for sure. I know a lot of editors who stick with Avid just because of this feature.

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Aug 15, 2023 9:17 pm

Yup. We’re not privy to BMD’s thought process on this and many other things. And they don’t share a roadmap. So this is something one just has to get used to if one settles on Resolve.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

visualfeast

PostWed Aug 16, 2023 2:46 am

Avid veteran here as well and sorely miss this simple feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
•Ryzen 5950x/64G/75TB RAID/3080ti/Intensity Pro 4K/2x ProArt PA278CGV/Dell U2415/Shogun 7/HPE LTO-6/Stream Deck XL
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Resolve Studio v18.1.2 (x2)/Windows 10 Pro 22H2

gabe67

PostThu Aug 17, 2023 6:03 pm

The advantage is also, that you can see the video of the source in the source monitor while being able to follow the waveform in the source timeline without having to switch the source monitor view mode.

For sequences: we need to be able to patch all tracks of the source timeline, not just v1 and a1.

Also, please make source patching more convenient and clearer to look at by implementing two columns of buttons, like Avid or Premiere. Source Track -> Record Track

Paddywack0

PostMon Nov 06, 2023 10:01 pm

All of the above. I posted elsewhere not realising this thread was already here. A sorely missed feature which is one of the few things I like when i have to go back to Avid.
Windows 10 Pro - Version Build 19043.1766
HP z820 24core Dual 3.5 Xeon E5
128Gb Memory
RTX 2080ti graphics

philipbowser

PostTue Nov 14, 2023 9:09 pm

Don't we basically already have this? I'm genuinely curious because I don't use the Swap Timeline and Source Viewer too much in Resolve but my understanding was that it was more or less the same as Avid's Toggle Source/Record. However I'd love to know why they aren't the same thing because enough people are requesting this that I must be wrong.

I guess we can't open source clips in a timeline view like you can in Avid, only timelines. And also the record / source viewers swap left and right in Resolve whereas they stay put in Avid. Are there other big differences?

Here's how I have set it up in the past:
- Drag a timeline into the source viewer
- Turn on Edit > Decompose Compound Clips On Edit
- Turn on Edit > Switch to Timeline After Edit
- Press your hotkey for Timeline > Swap Timeline and Source Viewer (mine is tab)
- Set your in and out points in this timeline
- Press your hotkey for Timeline > Swap Timeline and Source Viewer again to swap back
- Then use any of the insert / overwrite / append etc. commands and the source material from that timeline is cut into your edit
- You can also do this with stacked timelines so you always have a visual of your source timeline

It's been a while since I've used Avid, but I think this was basically the same thing, no? Or am I misremembering things?

That being said, I would definitely love to be able to do this with source clips too, not just timelines. Basically the ability to open up any source footage in a read-only timeline view with all the audio tracks visible.

James Ashbolt

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 6:19 am

philipbowser wrote:Don't we basically already have this? I'm genuinely curious because I don't use the Swap Timeline and Source Viewer too much in Resolve but my understanding was that it was more or less the same as Avid's Toggle Source/Record. However I'd love to know why they aren't the same thing because enough people are requesting this that I must be wrong.

It's been a while since I've used Avid, but I think this was basically the same thing, no? Or am I misremembering things?

That being said, I would definitely love to be able to do this with source clips too, not just timelines. Basically the ability to open up any source footage in a read-only timeline view with all the audio tracks visible.

In AVID anything source is ALWAYS located in the source viewer (left monitor)
This is the same when you edit from a source sequence. So you will see the full source timeline below and the playback will be on the left monitor.

Seeing your source on the left and your program on the right really helps when editing for obvious reasons.

Resolves current work around on this (by switching timelines) doesn't really solve this problem at all by having it cycle in the same monitor on the right.

Paddywack0

PostSun Dec 10, 2023 3:52 pm

- Drag a timeline into the source viewer
- Turn on Edit > Decompose Compound Clips On Edit
- Turn on Edit > Switch to Timeline After Edit
- Press your hotkey for Timeline > Swap Timeline and Source Viewer (mine is tab)
- Set your in and out points in this timeline
- Press your hotkey for Timeline > Swap Timeline and Source Viewer again to swap back
- Then use any of the insert / overwrite / append etc. commands and the source material from that

The difference is that when you swap Record and Source in Avid you are only swapping the timeline view so that you see the Source timeline (whether that is a clip or a timeline) in the Timeline strip. In Avid it is called "Toggle Source/Record in Timeline". It is only changing what you see in the Timeline view it doesn't change what's loaded in the Source and Record Viewer. Your Record Timeline remains the Record Timeline, you are not actually loading your Source timeline as a Record timeline. This way you can hot swap/toggle so that you are looking at your Source timeline and edit from it to the Record timeline as many times as you want without having to do the 2nd step you have to in Resolve of swapping the timelines back again.

What Resolve currently does is swap the two sources so your Source timeline temporarily becomes your Record timeline, you mark your In and Out and then swap back to edit in to the original Record timeline. This is a clumsy way of doing it and can be very slow as large timelines take a while to reload when switching. Even with stacked timelines you have to switch back to the Record timeline every time you want to make an edit.

Avid has the opposite problem in that you can't easily switch your timelines so that your Source TL becomes your Record TL which is what Resolve currently does. However the toggle timeline option is a great feature. Once you have it and realise what you can do with it you really miss it.
128Gb Memory
RTX 2080ti graphics

philipbowser

PostMon Dec 11, 2023 7:30 pm

Ah! Okay thanks for clearing that up for me, folks. I can see now why many people request the Avid approach.

It seems like a key benefit with Avid's methodology is that you don't have to swap / toggle back in order to insert / append different in and out points to the record timeline (because you haven't actually changed active timelines in the first place). This makes a lot of sense.

Daniel Probst

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 11:19 am

+100
DR 18.6.5 Studio | MC /w. Sym 2023.12 | AVID Artist DNxIO | HP Z8 G5 Fury, Xeon W7-3465X, 128 GB RAM, RTX ADA 5000, Win11 Pro, Nvidia Geforce 551.23, Desktop Video 12.8, Continuum, Sapphire, Mocha Pro, MonoNodes, Dehancer, Neat Video, Topaz, OmniScope

Paddywack0

PostTue Jan 02, 2024 4:07 pm

philipbowser wrote:Ah! Okay thanks for clearing that up for me, folks. I can see now why many people request the Avid approach.

It seems like a key benefit with Avid's methodology is that you don't have to swap / toggle back in order to insert / append different in and out points to the record timeline (because you haven't actually changed active timelines in the first place). This makes a lot of sense.

You got it!
128Gb Memory
RTX 2080ti graphics

St.Peters

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 8:17 am

+1

ericschefter

PostFri Feb 09, 2024 12:30 pm

+1
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3,7 GHz Intel Core i5, 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests