Magic Mask always lost data track

• Author

okiewardoyo

Magic Mask always lost data track

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 10:15 pm

Dear BMD, Magic Mask is really magic rotoscoping. Really amazing feature. This is the best rotoscoping feature. I always uses AE to rotoscope before, but since i use DR, the game changing.
--
But, unfortunately, Magic Mask always lost data track, i'm sure this is not main feature, but hopefully makes this feature perfect would be great.
I see so many people asking about it, but i'm afraid Development manager and his/her stuff forget about it becouse focusing on developing in Ipad. So i write it here.
Below are something that makes magic mask lost data :
1. When clip copied, magic mask data lost.
Whenever you copied the clip to other place in timeline, magic mask will lost its data.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=173566

2. When clip compounded

3. When clip changed position

4. When activated/deactivated Noise Reduction effect in 'Node Before'
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=173526

5. Exporting Archive
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=174752

And another :
5. Can not undo
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=174317

And still many moore.
Thanks.
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Andy Mees

Re: Feature request : Magic Mask always lost data track

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 11:11 pm

Okie, you know there is a dedicated Feature Request forum, right?

okiewardoyo

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 7:11 am

OMG, i go to wrong forum Andy, may be moderator here can send it to the feature request forumm??
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 9:41 pm

The post has been moved to the correct section of the forums.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

okiewardoyo

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 1:27 am

Thanks so much Tony

Philipp Glaninger

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 10:34 am

Indeed. I constantly fight my Magic Mask Nodes going from blue to red. I have not fully figured out all scenarios when and where I lose the tracks, but there are quite a view ways. Including working with multiple magic mask nodes that feed into each other through alpha connectors. In my current project, it feels more like a game of Whack 'em All to keep all track data active at the same time.

It would be great to "LOCK" the Track data of a Node once I am happy.
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

okiewardoyo

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 2:06 pm

Thanks @pHilip, you're right. It look like beta feature. But really amazing like Artificial Intelegent (AI) for masking object.

AndrewKeil

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 11:46 am

+1

It's infuriating at the moment, because Magic Mask is in principle an incredible tool and its results are phenomenal, saving hours of work in addition to giving you more creative options.

BUT...I constantly have to retrack, this is even when placing Magic Masks as the very first node, so it's not a case of a correction or effect being changed after tracking.

On complex projects with a lot of masks it can get very tedious very quickly to have to check and re-check output all because MM doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

Plus it's not uncommon for exports to hang on "tracking", forcing a restart.

Even a warning that track data has been lost would help immensely.

So please, make MM the tool it's meant to be and fix the bugs.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 3:09 pm

In the meantime you can just render out the mask when you're happy with it and import it as a matte. Then it's rock solid.

AndrewKeil

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 3:27 pm

Yes have done that and it does at least fix the problem short term.

I just worry that it'll be one of those issues that'll be put on the back burner, alongside other clear and obvious problems (looking at you quick export presets) that go through whole beta's and releases without being fixed.

Binsfeld

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 12:56 pm

BMD.
Please just add a "lock" button so we can keep the track we are happy with.
Thanks.

tevryan

PostTue Oct 31, 2023 10:39 pm

YES! +1
Please. So frustrating to make a complex track and then have it lose the data. Being able to lock would be great!

Videoneth

PostTue Oct 31, 2023 10:48 pm

The FR "Magic Mask always lost data track" is already implemented :D
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

Ashley Thomas

PostTue Oct 31, 2023 11:55 pm

I had about 25 minutes tracked but it was really about 12 tracks in 2 minute chunks. The end result was working but all of a sudden all 12 parts lost their tracking info... or at least masking/alpha are gone. I tested rendering a small section, sure enough it's as if no magic mask present despite the Fusion page having Magic Mask.

I had deleted the entire render cache just before observing this so I suspect that may be connected with trigger this repro of the issue... but I cannot be 100% certain.

If Magic Mask has a known "tracking data gets lost" issue, here's my +1 for a resolution.

I agree with others, amazing feature... so darn good you want to see it work on longer/bigger jobs... but it becomes unusable for such if out of nowhere tracking/masking/alpha disappear. It's then certainly relegated to small jobs, perhaps rendering those out to avoid losing the effect.

Jeremy Lusk

PostThu Dec 07, 2023 4:12 am

+1

Magic Mask is amazing. That the software can do this is wild and wonderful.

That I need to redo the track every time I duplicate the sequence, change something in the sequence, or even just go more than a few days between using Resolve, is silly.

You've done the hard part, BM, but its implementation remains quite clunky. It's like you've invented a machine that can cook meals that used to take hours in just a few minutes, but every time the meal is done the machine throws the food on the floor (might not be a perfect analogy).

Caching in general needs some work, but this one is particularly frustrating because it requires extra vigilance and time beyond just letting the software re-render things it shouldn't need to in the background.

If it matters, I'm on an M1 Max MacBook Pro with 32GB RAM.

AndrewKeil

Re: Magic Mask always lost data track

PostFri Dec 08, 2023 11:33 am

This is part of a wider issue that needs addressed, we need proper warnings when something is wrong.

Leaving aside that some shouldn't be problems in the first place such as Magic Mask, there's also blanking, stablized clips that are extended and so have incomplete stabilisation, window tracking data lost, effects like Face Refinement losing their tracks too...

Surely the least that can be expected is to receive a warning either in the viewer as an overlay, as a marker or even a column in the index where incomplete or lost effects can be labelled?

Philipp Glaninger

Re: Magic Mask always lost data track

PostSat Dec 09, 2023 10:52 am

AndrewKeil wrote:Surely the least that can be expected is to receive a warning either in the viewer as an overlay, as a marker or even a column in the index where incomplete or lost effects can be labelled?

Nice idea. That would keep away a lot of fear and anxiety away from me that I might have overlooked something technical along the way. Nothing would be worse than one frame missing of a Face Refinement.
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests