Audio clip editing with any software, auto update clip...

• Author

Norbert339

Audio clip editing with any software, auto update clip...

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 9:55 am

I think about a feature like this: I right click on the audio clip, then select Edit with other software, then in a menu it shows more softwares like Audition, Sony Sound Forge, iZotope RX, Cuebase etc, anything installed on the pc. Maybe in the settings we could choose the .exe files of these audio editing softwares that would later appear in this menu later. As I open it in the other editor Davinci generates an uncompressed 32bit .wav format for the new instance.

Then as I select the software it gets opened in that audio editor. I do whatever I want then save the given audio and as I close the audio editor DaVinci appends the newly created file to that clip, so later I can go back to the original or other versions of that clip's sound track.

Now separately recorded audio can be appended to a video file, and in attributes it appears as a selectable track. The same way, each saved version for a clip would appear as a selectable audio for that clip.

This way I can bring an audio clip to iZotope RX to clean it and as I am finished I get the audio right to the timeline in a converted format. Then I can decide if I want to use the original, or this iZotopped clip on the timeline. But I also can open the iZotopped clip in Audition or Cuebase if I want to do things with this file, then as I close Cubase DaVinci appends a new, 3rd version of the audio pice automatically to the given clip.

It could work with Compounded clips, too, you either see the original files and their edit, or a converted version/layer on their top that was edited with an external editing software.

2 approach:
An other approach could be to get this done is to auto-generate a compound from the given audio with the original audio clip pice that gets muted and the edited not muted on top of it in the composition. Each new edit adds a new layer and disables the one under it, so the user has all the versions.

3 approach: We could get editing versions, - just like we can get color grade versions - when the file (audio clip) was edited in an external audio editor.

Reynaud Venter

Re: Audio clip editing with any software, auto update clip..

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 10:14 am

Have a look at Fairlight's External Audio Process functionality.

Refer to the Resolve 18.6 Manual:
Page 100 | Chapter 4 | Setup and Workflows | System and User Preferences
Page 3704 | Chapter 171 | Fairlight | Editing Basics in the Fairlight Page

Prior to sending out to the external application, Resolve automatically renders out a new 32bit Broadcast Wave file file at the Project rate (set in Project Settings > Fairlight > Timeline Sample Rate) to the target directory with a pre-defined naming convention, and automatically mutes the Unprocessed Source Audio Clip (which is placed on the bottom layer on the Audio Track). The newly rendered Audio Clip is placed on the top layer of the Audio Track.

The newly rendered Audio Clip is then automatically opened in the external application (if the Command Line option has been specified). Saving the Audio File in the external application with the identical naming convention as specified by Resolve, will force Resolve to automatically update the Audio Clip on the Timeline, when switching back to the Resolve Timeline from the external application.

If you prefer to manually rename Audio Clips in the external application with specific indentifiers and unique naming convention, then Resolve's “Replace Selected Clip” functionality in the Media Pool (available within the Clip's Contextual Menu) would be the manual method used. The Audio Clip will be automatically replaced on the Timeline with the user specified Processed Audio File.

With either method, a Muted Source Audio Clip will always be available on the lowest layer of the Audio Track, with the Processed Audio Clip on the layer above.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Norbert339

Re: Audio clip editing with any software, auto update clip..

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 10:46 am

I will take a look at this but sounds like a sluggish workaround next to the time efficiency I described.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests