Add Power Window to existing node via keyboard shortcut...

• Author

carsonjones

Add Power Window to existing node via keyboard shortcut...

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 2:40 pm

Putting in a request for there to be an option to add a power window (Linear / Circle / Polygon / Curve / Gradient) to an existing node via a keyboard shortcut.

Wondering why this isn't already an option?

Marc Wielage

Re: Add Power Window to existing node via keyboard shortcut.

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 12:16 am

You're correct: there's currently no shortcuts to add a Linear, Circular, Polygon, or Curve window with the keyboard. I solved that problem many years ago by using a control surface, which has direct buttons to activate just the type of window I need. I suspect these could be jammed into the Color Menu (in an "Add Linear Window," "Add Circular Window" and so on), but it's tricky.

A workaround I would suggest: if you go with a fixed node structure, where every shot in the timeline has the exact same number of nodes and Power Window nodes already built, you won't have to add one -- it's already there. It's just a question of navigating to that node, turning it on, and positioning the window.

As long as we're on the subject of suggestions: I'd like a shortcut to convert a Circular window to a Bezier curve, which is something I do all the time. I think there is a button for that on the panels, but the shortcut would be nice to have.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

carsonjones

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 11:59 am

I do use a fixed node tree with a parallel node group for secondary adjustments and one parallel node group for DCTL's. It's in these groups where keyboard shortcuts for the Power Window would be most beneficial since I don't necessarily know which type of Power Window I'll need at any given time. Keyboard shortcuts would allow me to quickly choose and apply the PW I'm after.

Currently there are still far too many mouse clicks involved in simply applying the type of PW selection you're after. It would actually be faster, but not nearly as effective in terms of workflow, to not use a fixed node setup for these adjustments and instead use the existing keyboard shortcuts to add a serial node with the desired PW type. Unfortunately, even with the existing shortcuts, a user can't create a parallel node with a PW option... so really this wouldn't work for me. A simple solution could be to add an additional modifier key to the existing shortcuts that adds the PW to the existing node (serial, parallel, layer, etc.) and not a new node.

Love the idea of adding a keyboard shortcut option to convert to bezier.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 5:47 am

carsonjones wrote:I do use a fixed node tree with a parallel node group for secondary adjustments and one parallel node group for DCTL's. It's in these groups where keyboard shortcuts for the Power Window would be most beneficial since I don't necessarily know which type of Power Window I'll need at any given time. .

I have six windows up in my Fixed Node Tree (we start out bypassed), and there are times I use all of them. Basically it's an oval Left, oval Center, oval Right (faces), then a flag at the top, then a cutter on the side, then a vignette (inverted oval). I almost never create a new window. There are occasions where I'll use a Face Window preset within the Window palette, one I've hand-drawn to cover the 2 or 3 face types and sizes in the frame. There's no button for that (I have to use the mouse to select it), but that's life. I work very quickly. But in essence, almost every window I use is a variation of a round window... but sometimes heavily bent or turned into a Bezier shape. It works for me. The Advanced Panels do save a lot of time, but I'm not using them to create windows most of the time.

I don't disagree that having a keyboard shortcut for windows would be nice to have... but I'm giving you a way to work around not having it right now.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests