Dissolve out/in context menu option on edits w no handles

• Author

Howard Matthews

Dissolve out/in context menu option on edits w no handles

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 11:17 am

OK, bit weird perhaps but this'd be a timesaver.

In situations like this (no, wait, everywhere: see postscript below*) where there's no extra footage either side of the edit point, I'd like to see an "Add Dissolve out and Dissolve in" option, to quickly add a standard cross-dissolve out (to nothing) and a cross-dissolve back in (from nothing). A quick "dip to black" you could then tweak the timing of afterwards.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 11.58.52.png
Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 11.58.52.png (58.65 KiB) Viewed 257 times

Resolve won't let you drop a Dip to Color on one of these edit points either, even if it would technically work, as there'd need to be some logic behind the scenes to prevent the user altering the transition alignment / curve afterwards — but only in those cases where the particular clips wouldn't be able to support it.

The current workflow is just to drag one of the end-points of a transition a few frames to create a gap between the clips, drop a dissolve onto each one (which will end up left- and right-aligned, effectively dissolving to black), and then drag the end-point back into place. You now have a dip to black without needing any handles on the clips. If you need actual color rather than black, you can drop a colour solid/slug onto a video track underneath.

Be nice to just right-click and say "yeah, I know you can't cross-dissolve this, but you can fade that out then fade this in"... just a tiny quality of life thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

* Hmm. In fact — why only when there's no handles? Can we have that dissolve out then in option as a permanent addition to that context menu? It'd be a nice feature. A super-quick way to add a dip to black anywhere you like, nice and intuitive to change the out/in timings, b/c it's just two normal cross-dissolves... no additional UI needed beyond the menu item. Saves us having to make a gap, add two dissolves, remove the gap... which gets annoying if you're doing it a lot ;)

Jim Simon

Re: Dissolve out/in context menu option on edits w no handle

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 pm

I can't help wonder what kind of program you're creating where such a transition is...a good thing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Howard Matthews

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 10:33 am

Dips to black are an incredibly useful part of the editing vocabulary for certain contexts. That said, right now I'm doing a lot of immersive video work, planetarium/fulldome and VR; often need to drop rushes or renders onto a timeline and export for previewing. Hard cuts can be jarring in an immersive environment, though, so dipping to black gently helps a lot.

Even when editing docos or trailers, though, there are plenty of times when I want to fade out, fade back in; I never use dip to blacks for those purely because doing it with two dissolves lets me tweak the timing/feel of them. Sometimes a faster dip and a slower return works better, sometimes you realise you need a few frames of black - a beat - before coming back up. Depends on the material, the story, the pacing/rhythm needs.

Always been possible to do this manually, but it'd be great to have a two-click option instead, is all

Howard Matthews

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 12:00 pm

OK, I'm going to leave my post up here, to crystallise my embarrassment, but this request might as well be closed/removed.

I'd never really clocked those little handles at the top corners of clips on the timeline, hadn't realised they do exactly what I need: they let you fade in and out of clips, just by dragging them. Absolutely fantastic.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 12.54.51.png
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 12.54.51.png (34.59 KiB) Viewed 46 times

So I don't need to add transitions at all (at least not for vanilla fade out / fade ins) - can just drag these little doofers. Nice.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests