A new timeline import rule for more stability.

• Author

Norbert339

A new timeline import rule for more stability.

PostSun May 12, 2024 7:53 pm

When I import a timeline, if there is any media with the same name that are already used in the project, Resolve should require me to rename these files one by one or using a rule like numbering the new ones, or if it's an already used file then don't import it again - if it's in the same folder path.
Or tell the user that the file(s) exists already in the project and what to do: Keep both instances with different name or not. Or if both versions are the same files, but from different folder path it should just skip importing it/them again.

Marc Wielage

Re: A new timeline import rule for more stability.

PostSun May 12, 2024 11:42 pm

I believe you can import a new timeline and then point it to any files in bins that are already in the project. It doesn't have to import new copies of the exact same clips.

At the end, Media Management can help you pare down the amount of clips on the Media Page and do it effectively and efficiently.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Norbert339

PostMon May 13, 2024 6:14 am

Marc Wielage wrote:It doesn't have to import new copies of the exact same clips.

It imports them again, this is part of my problem that if I open 3 timelines then the given file will appear 3 times in the Media Pool.

Marc Wielage

PostMon May 13, 2024 8:53 am

Norbert339 wrote:It imports them again, this is part of my problem that if I open 3 timelines then the given file will appear 3 times in the Media Pool.

I just tried it with Resolve 18.6.6 and I'm not seeing the problem. If I use the "Import Timeline" function and import a DRT, it just refer the new "copy" timeline to the same media that's already in the project. I don't see any duplicates in the project at all.

How are you importing the timelines? Is this back into the existing project or in a brand new empty project?

Norbert339

PostMon Jun 03, 2024 1:23 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Norbert339 wrote:It imports them again, this is part of my problem that if I open 3 timelines then the given file will appear 3 times in the Media Pool.

I just tried it with Resolve 18.6.6 and I'm not seeing the problem. If I use the "Import Timeline" function and import a DRT, it just refer the new "copy" timeline to the same media that's already in the project. I don't see any duplicates in the project at all.

How are you importing the timelines? Is this back into the existing project or in a brand new empty project?

I just pasted clips from an other project's timeline. This makes Resolve import the given file again, as if it was a new one, with the same filename...

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 06, 2024 4:43 am

Norbert339 wrote:I just pasted clips from an other project's timeline. This makes Resolve import the given file again, as if it was a new one, with the same filename...

I'm not seeing the problem. To work around this, here's my advice:

1) delete the timelines you're not using. (Save a copy of the session just in case.)

2) go to the Media page and make sure the USAGE column is displayed.

3) sort the clips by the amount of usage

4) delete all the clips with 0 usage.

As far as I know, this will work. As far as I know, Resolve is smart enough to not count 2 identically-named clips twice if only one of them is in a timeline.

AudioDan24

PostThu Jun 06, 2024 10:23 am

Hi Norbet,
I just wanted to say here that importing a timeline and pasting clips - that I I assume have been copied to "clipboard" to perform the operation - are necessarily different operations.

You'll most likely find that if you performed the same operation from timelines within the same project that the clips would paste without being duplicated in the Media Pool.

Importing a timeline into Resolve such as a DRT, attempts to conform to existing files in the media pool and anything the import cannot conform it then imports into the bin with the timeline.

A copy-paste of clips from one project timeline to another project timeline is not really a timeline import though. You're introducing clips from another project. It really should see them as new items.

If you need to do it this way (which I certainly understand), then just assign a clip colour to the newly imported clips in the Media Pool. Select that clip colour on the timeline and then conform the timeline selection to bins disabling the bin that the clips were just imported into.

You should end up with your new, duplicate clips having zero usage and then you can delete them from the Media Pool (after you've checked that the conform process worked correctly!)

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests