More options for the captions creation

• Author

Videoneth

More options for the captions creation

PostThu Sep 07, 2023 9:16 am

The "create subtitles" doesn't have enough controls and it's too rigide.

1) I would like to see a "Maximum" xx words per line option.
2) An option to no get no ponctuations, and no transcription of the sounds (those between brackets).

And since there is a "Caption Preset", we could customize our own presets and add it to the list.
The list would be separated with the native presets from BMD on top, and ours below it with a separator between them.
Windows 10
19b3
nVidia 3090 - 555.85

Tom Early

Re: More options for the captions creation

PostThu Sep 07, 2023 9:33 am

Videoneth wrote:1) I would like to see a "Maximum" xx words per line option.

why would you need this?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Videoneth

PostThu Sep 07, 2023 10:47 am

I'll let you use your imagination.
Windows 10
19b3
nVidia 3090 - 555.85

dimsum

PostSat Sep 09, 2023 7:33 am

Videoneth wrote:The "create subtitles" doesn't have enough controls and it's too rigide.

2) An option to no get no ponctuations, and no transcription of the sounds (those between brackets).

And since there is a "Caption Preset", we could customize our own presets and add it to the list.
The list would be separated with the native presets from BMD on top, and ours below it with a separator between them.

+1 for this. I know Captions in Resolve is still in its infancy, so looking forward for further improvements
youtube.com/uhstudio | uhstudio.com
Win11, RTX 4 series

Mart_Williams

PostSat Sep 09, 2023 4:49 pm

I'm going to need to be able to add more jazzed-up subtitling to some of my vids for social media very soon. The ability to highlight each word as it is spoken, for example, with a coloured background or larger font. I think this sort of thing is overdue in Resolve. It's great they have finally come to the party with subtitling, and it works well, but if I am trying to compete with another creator who is able to throw in more eye-catching subtitles, then I'm at a disadvantage.

Tom Early

PostSat Sep 09, 2023 5:06 pm

Videoneth wrote:I'll let you use your imagination.

I don't think 'use your imagination' is going to be enough to convince the devs somehow

Mart_Williams wrote:but if I am trying to compete with another creator who is able to throw in more eye-catching subtitles, then I'm at a disadvantage.

you know this is done with motion graphics right, not subtitles? Is there some package or plugin that analyses waveforms to highlight certain words when they are spoken? Of course, there's far more to dynamic subtitling than just highlighting words. If that's all you did every time with your videos then it would get old fast.

Mart_Williams

PostSat Sep 09, 2023 5:34 pm

Tom Early wrote:
Videoneth wrote:I'll let you use your imagination.

I don't think 'use your imagination' is going to be enough to convince the devs somehow

Mart_Williams wrote:but if I am trying to compete with another creator who is able to throw in more eye-catching subtitles, then I'm at a disadvantage.

you know this is done with motion graphics right, not subtitles? Is there some package or plugin that analyses waveforms to highlight certain words when they are spoken? Of course, there's far more to dynamic subtitling than just highlighting words. If that's all you did every time with your videos then it would get old fast.

Davinci has already generated the subtitles after analysing the audio, it knows when each word is being spoken, so it should not be much of a reach for the programmers to add this functionality. Text highlighting is built into the inspection panel of the subtitling; you just can't have it highlight only the spoken word yet.

As for getting old fast, that depends on the target audience; for my application, there is a constant audience turnover, so gimmicks and novelty have a much longer shelf life. And with content being posted to the likes of Instagram, subtitling is important, as is making that content eye-catching. So if my client wants it, then I'll have to find a way of doing it. Davinci is my software of choice and it can't be done efficiently with it.

Tom Early

PostSat Sep 09, 2023 6:15 pm

Mart_Williams wrote:And with content being posted to the likes of Instagram, subtitling is important, as is making that content eye-catching.

on Instagram there's 2 kinds of subtitles, basic - which Resolve can do well enough now - and dynamic, which are beyond the capabilities of your request as it's basically infinite creativity, and if you want/need that then you should use a dedicated package (After Effects) or page (not sure how much Fusion allows in this area).

The thing about the subtitles area is that it is simple for everything to be exported and transferred to another package via SRT files. So it has all the text with the timing for each line, and very basic formatting. It doesn't have font, size or positioning but those are easy to input and will be determined beforehand. But you can't have anything (timing based) that works on individual words because that would require every package that handles SRTs to have this capability. It just wouldn't translate, but people would just complain that the SRT doesn't have this information and say it's a bug and demand it gets fixed. Whoever imported the SRT would have to get the subs into a package that can manipulate words individually and recreate everything from scratch.

jjisnow

PostSun Nov 05, 2023 12:05 am

I believe you could do highlighted words as a separate layer of information over the subtitles with the art files not affected at all

seaislandcreative

PostWed May 22, 2024 2:10 pm

I think this would be a welcomed feature. Dynamic captions are now standard practice across all social media platforms. As mentioned, Resolve already know which word is being spoken so the option to add formatting to that word shouldn't be a stretch. I actually brought this up to Grant Petty in person at NAB 2023. He said it was a good idea and asked someone next to him to write it down. Hopefully it gets implemented soon but honestly the fact that it's taken so many years to get fixed playheads is discouraging for dynamic captions.

bomkad

PostMon Jun 10, 2024 8:03 am

+1

a option instead of characters using word count

perfect for this word for word subtiles for short form
and with an added merge subtitle clips feature
the editing process for subtitles would be awesome

Videoneth

PostMon Jun 10, 2024 12:53 pm

I'll add something to my initial FR.
The ability to merge two or more captions together in one
Windows 10
19b3
nVidia 3090 - 555.85

jamedia

• Warnings: 1

PostThu Jun 13, 2024 1:16 pm

Videoneth wrote:The "create subtitles" doesn't have enough controls and it's too rigide.

The reason why not is clear.
or/however/but
The motivation wherefore negative is unblemished.

Both are 6 words, one is 26 characters and one 49 characters

Also
"or" 2 chars
"however" 6 chars
"but" 3 chars

Incomprehensibilities will appear when you are discussing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious or Antidisestablishmentarianism
10 words but 126 characters.

Problems will be seen when you are on about candy or church
12 words 48 characters.

There are going to be qeually big, large, humungous problems in other languages.

Words only works for longish general text hence books, magazines and newspapers working in "words" but where space is limited Ie telegrams, TXT (origionally), Twitter and the like it is characters.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests