Quick export button for the source viewer/Media Pool

• Author

Videoneth

Quick export button for the source viewer/Media Pool

PostSat May 25, 2024 1:01 pm

A little explanation on how it would help me a lot for my workflow (and maybe others for different situations).

I almost always have to work with videos that were shot in different framerates. 24 here, 29.927 there, 25 here, etc. On the same project or timeline.

I tried many things over the years, but the easiest for me was always to have the slower framerate as the base (24 for example), do my edit on it with all the different footage (25/29.927/30 fps), export then upscale everything + interpolate with Topaz Video AI to a target framerate (30/50 fps, depending on my need).

Some videos are 720p, some 1080, and some 4k, so putting it all on a 1080p timeline and upscaling it is fine, but again, it's not perfect. The upscale process still works, but it has more difficulty dealing with stretched compression artifacts.

"Losing" some frames when going from 29.927/30 to 24 is not a big deal because Topaz Video AI does a fantastic job. But there are times when this method is not perfect.

Compounding these compromises, depending on the project, can lower the quality of the results a bit (in comparison).

Anyway, so I'm suggesting the ability to "quick export" what's between the in/out points in the viewer.
In/out > Export, In/out > Export... (And this could work on the cut page too; load all the footage on a single roll and do exactly that.).

Then the upscale/interpolation process would be based on the original resolution and framerate of each video, resulting in higher-quality results.

And then, when it's time to edit, every clip will be at its final resolution or framerate.

In this particular case, we can set in and out points with Topaz Video AI. But it is not a video editor; there is no sound; it's slow, not precise, and very tedious (I tried doing it but stopped very quickly).

Davinci Resolve is made to edit things, cut things, etc.

----
Another idea could be to be able to export subclips from the media pool with a right click > Quick Export (and it will export them at the same framerate and resolution as the source). 

-----

TL;DR, I would like to have a mechanism to "clip" videos as quick as possible with the least "click around" and "timeline creation" possible. -
Windows 10
19b3
nVidia 3090 - 555.85

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests