Locking any elements in the media pool + Inspector

• Author

Videoneth

PostSun Dec 17, 2023 2:43 pm

Apologies if I missed it; I don't see a menu (under the right-click) for locking an element in the media pool. Timelines/clips/folders/etc. I think I saw a FR for this at one point, but I'm not sure.

I +1 a FR for the ability to lock elements on the timeline already (FR from 2019).
This should go with it. We can lock nodes (fusion/color page), we can lock tracks.

Anyway

Even the most careful person will (and has) delete something they shouldn't have and realize it hours or days later. A compound clip (named properly or net), a clip, or whatever.

Locking certain elements to be sure that they will never be deleted is a good idea, imo. Timeline/Media pool... and why not the Inspector too. So when you have tons of settings changed on one clip, and you don't want to take any chance to have it changed by mistake, you could just lock it.

PS2.
The CTRL+Click to select elements in the medial pool in Resolve is buggy; sometimes we have to click multiple times to make the selection. I've missed elements or clicked on others by mistake so many times.

Something that happens extremely rarely in any other application, or even in Windows Explorer.

There is a weird delay when selecting something in the media pool.
Last edited by Videoneth on Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10
19b3
nVidia 3090 - 555.85

Marc Wielage

Re: Locking any elements in the media pool

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 12:57 am

The list of what NOT to do in Resolve is much longer than the list what TO do in Resolve. To me, you can only stop people from making stupid mistakes to a point.

I generally will check the Usage column and make absolutely sure I'm not deleting anything in the current session, and I load all the Timelines to make sure nothing is being left out. Ideally, long before you're deleting media, you've already Media Managed to whittle the session down to a manageable size. Resolve can only protect you up to a certain point.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

jjsawdon

PostThu Dec 21, 2023 5:01 am

The only place I can think of where Resolve will delete media is in Media Storage, not the Media Pool, and even then I'm 99% certain Resolve will warn you that you are about to delete from disk. The option is phrased on macOS as "Delete Permanently..." and Resolve also warns when you add a job to the render queue if it's going to overwrite an existing file.

I can see the value of locking a Timeline, Fusion Comp, Compound Clip, Multicam Clip, etc. in the Media Pool, but I think better awareness of usage across the entire project and a warning about removing or deleting something in use in another timeline or something could be a good alternative.
Online Editor & Scripter
GitHub: https://github.com/jjsawdon
IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5407671
System Specs: Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • macOS Monterey 12.7.4
  • 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
  • AMD FirePro D500 3 GB

Marc Wielage

PostThu Dec 21, 2023 8:16 am

jjsawdon wrote:I can see the value of locking a Timeline, Fusion Comp, Compound Clip, Multicam Clip, etc. in the Media Pool, but I think better awareness of usage across the entire project and a warning about removing or deleting something in use in another timeline or something could be a good alternative.

I wouldn't be opposed to an error message that says, "Warning: The clip you're about to delete is in use in a timeline" (or multiple timelines).

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Dec 22, 2023 11:47 pm

I would be extremely in favor of such a warning.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Jim Simon

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 4:58 pm

A Warning makes more sense to me than a Lock.

Though I would want either one off by default.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Videoneth

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 10:08 pm

I want a big padlock. 8-)
So I can select everything in my bin and delete only the things not locked.
Windows 10
19b3
nVidia 3090 - 555.85

Marc Wielage

PostSun Dec 24, 2023 5:00 am

Videoneth wrote:I want a big padlock. 8-) So I can select everything in my bin and delete only the things not locked.

What if you forgot to lock important clips that are in a timeline?

To me, it's kind of a specious argument in 2023 (almost 2024), a time where hard drive space is so cheap and easy. There was a time I would fret about getting rid of every extraneous item from a conform so that we only had the essence of the final film (or show), and had almost no leftover material. In some cases, we'd take 10TB (even 18TB or 20TB) of original material and Media Manage it down to 1TB or less.

Nowadays, if I can even get it down to 3TB, I consider that a victory. I don't sweat a few more terabytes. Often it's not an extra clip in the way -- it's that, for a bunch of reasons, we need to keep an entire camera file rather than the :10 seconds that wound up in the edit. This is still an ongoing case with spanned files, where sometimes they don't want to media manage with handles.

Videoneth

PostSun Dec 24, 2023 12:54 pm

Well, with "ifs," we can go in any direction on any subject.

We can turn a good idea into a bad one, and vice versa, very quickly.

I can make a file or folder read-only; I can lock a portion of a document; I can lock a track. There is a FR to be able to lock elements on the timeline (which I'm for too).

I personally would like to be able to lock the inspector too on the edit page (like on the color and Fusion pages). It would make the experience similar across the board.

Resolve doesn't update (or ask for) a file in the media pool when it's changed outside of the program, for example (all other programs like Photoshop, Affinity, etc. do it). But if we want, we can delete everything in the media pool. In both cases, the user is deciding what to do, but in one case, Resolve tells you, "No, no, no, I won't do that," when you know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it.

I'm going with this simple idea (which is implemented everywhere) that things that can be deleted, edited, or moved are (or should be) lockable. I see it as a very basic feature.
The media pool is just like a folder in any operating system.

We didn't have the live save, for example (I deactivated it; I ctrl+s all my life; it's muscle memory). People were careful for decades without it; I was careful too. Now that it's there, I don't use it, and I didn't change my way of doing things. I try to be careful in general, mostly because Resolve is/was unforgiving for many years on many aspect of the program. So we had to be very, very careful with many actions. But for some people, it helps. There is no downside.

I'm not asking for a lock, so I can be careless. But this shouldn't matter anyway :) The more flexibility for an editing program, the better.
Windows 10
19b3
nVidia 3090 - 555.85

Videoneth

Re: Locking any elements in the media pool + Inspector

PostSun May 26, 2024 11:38 am

I just deleted compound clips by accident right now, saved it, made some edit, saved again, en realize than my final timeline has red clips.

I wish we could lock a bin or anything in the media pool. - There would be a simple lock icon on the far left of them (And/or have a trash bin too).

Fortunately, I had an old copy of this project, so I copied the compound clips from there.

Accidents happen, but we shouldn't have to dig into backups when we could have something we already have.... for tracks. And especially to get

We can't delete a locked track. A track is locked because we don't want to be modified or deleted.
Windows 10
19b3
nVidia 3090 - 555.85

Joe Shapiro

PostSun May 26, 2024 8:47 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
jjsawdon wrote:I can see the value of locking a Timeline, Fusion Comp, Compound Clip, Multicam Clip, etc. in the Media Pool, but I think better awareness of usage across the entire project and a warning about removing or deleting something in use in another timeline or something could be a good alternative.

I wouldn't be opposed to an error message that says, "Warning: The clip you're about to delete is in use in a timeline" (or multiple timelines).
As Marc and jjsawdon say above, a warning like this would keep most people from shouting themselves in the foot. Plus it wouldn’t require the user taking action to lock clipsclips in a bin.

Most NLEs give this warning. I’m guessing Resolve doesn’t because it has a history of not globally knowing if a clip is in use. But I think that’s been remedied. So please add the warning.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2

Videoneth

PostMon May 27, 2024 8:51 pm

Why have a warning when we could simply have the ability to lock a bin or any elements with a right-click menu? This is a common feature in many other programs.

Why not remove the ability to lock a node on the Fusion, Color page or when we want to delete a track? Just have a warning? The reason is : Being able to lock things up is practical, and useful.

Being able to lock a bin or anything in the media pool is a good feature.

"Nothing goes in, and nothing is deleted until the user decides. I put my assets here and don't want any accidents where something gets deleted" - This would also prevent another annoying situation: when Fusion clips or compound clips are created, they go into the active bin. If the bin is locked, they should always go to the master bin so people know where everything is and can move them as needed.

I've argued in the past that auto-save shouldn't be activated by default because it messed up some projects badly, and there was no "timeline backup" at the time. I never argued against the feature itself - If it can be useful to some people and it's invisible to me, I don't care what's added to Resolve. I'm not the only one using it.

It should be an option. Something as critical as saving a project—something we've learned to do for the past 30-40 years—should be decided by the user.

I don't want another warning popup. I don't see how that would replace a non-disruptive new feature that users could choose to use without bothering anyone else. It could be added if someone wants it (as an option) on top of this fr.

And Joe, you've experienced this many times with your feature requests: people telling you (and I'm I'm paraphrasing) : "I don't want that, so you shouldn't have it."
Windows 10
19b3
nVidia 3090 - 555.85

Joe Shapiro

PostMon May 27, 2024 9:01 pm

Not arguing against the feature. I’d welcome it. That said, to me and many others the problem I want solved is avoiding deleting clips that are in use in timelines. FOR THIS PARTICULAR PURPOSE I claim a warning is more useful as one doesn’t have to remember to turn it on.

So yes, locking would be a welcome feature add. But for the problem some have mentioned in this thread a warning would he more useful.
Resolve 19b2

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests