18% Gray & Stops displayed on the Curves Graph.

• Author

ShaheedMalik

18% Gray & Stops displayed on the Curves Graph.

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 12:22 pm

I would love to see references to 18% Gray and Stops above and below Middle Gray displayed on the Curves screen that corresponds to the colorspace and gamma of that node.

It will be easier to make the changes we want to make instead of just having a blank grid.

Thanks.

jeffreysousa

Re: 18% Gray & Stops displayed on the Curves Graph.

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 2:01 am

+1

ShaheedMalik

PostSat May 25, 2024 8:31 am

Just seeing if anyone else is interested in this.

Marc Wielage

PostMon May 27, 2024 4:09 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:I would love to see references to 18% Gray and Stops above and below Middle Gray displayed on the Curves screen that corresponds to the colorspace and gamma of that node. It will be easier to make the changes we want to make instead of just having a blank grid.

I'm not as obsessed with middle gray as some people, but it is something I keep in mind. Middle gray equates to about 46 on an IRE scale, and I kind of think of that as halfway down the scale. I generally tell students to use Editable Splines on Custom Curves, so we can make sure we have a very smooth, sweeping curve when adding contrast. Generally I can eyeball the image overall and make sure that middle gray is maintained enough to see enough detail.

There is a grid available on the Custom Curve display, but they don't make it obvious where middle gray would be. I wouldn't object to emphasizing the third line in that vertical grid display, which is very close to what I would call Middle Gray. Here's what I mean:

I think people kind of go nuts about middle gray, but in the real world, there's so many other complications, it's not the first thing I necessarily worry about when I'm tackling a color session. Sometimes, the DP wants to throw that right out the window because they have a very specific idea about a look they want to impose on the image, so it's one of those theoretical things I'd like to do, but it's not always possible in the real world. (Look at Furiosa if you want to see an idea of what I'm talking about.)
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

ShaheedMalik

PostMon May 27, 2024 2:59 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:I would love to see references to 18% Gray and Stops above and below Middle Gray displayed on the Curves screen that corresponds to the colorspace and gamma of that node. It will be easier to make the changes we want to make instead of just having a blank grid.

I'm not as obsessed with middle gray as some people, but it is something I keep in mind. Middle gray equates to about 46 on an IRE scale, and I kind of think of that as halfway down the scale. I generally tell students to use Editable Splines on Custom Curves, so we can make sure we have a very smooth, sweeping curve when adding contrast. Generally I can eyeball the image overall and make sure that middle gray is maintained enough to see enough detail.

There is a grid available on the Custom Curve display, but they don't make it obvious where middle gray would be. I wouldn't object to emphasizing the third line in that vertical grid display, which is very close to what I would call Middle Gray. Here's what I mean:

I think people kind of go nuts about middle gray, but in the real world, there's so many other complications, it's not the first thing I necessarily worry about when I'm tackling a color session. Sometimes, the DP wants to throw that right out the window because they have a very specific idea about a look they want to impose on the image, so it's one of those theoretical things I'd like to do, but it's not always possible in the real world. (Look at Furiosa if you want to see an idea of what I'm talking about.)

When you say middle gray is at 46IRE, are you referring to DaVinci Wide Gamut's gray point or another profiles?

Marc Wielage

PostTue May 28, 2024 3:04 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:When you say middle gray is at 46IRE, are you referring to DaVinci Wide Gamut's gray point or another profiles?

Just monitoring in Rec709. Try it for yourself and look at the scopes.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

shebbe

PostTue May 28, 2024 1:53 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Just monitoring in Rec709. Try it for yourself and look at the scopes.
Yes but for curves, such information is only usable when grading directly on a Rec.709 normalized signal.

I can understand the desire of the OP wanting to see mid gray and stops below/above, but it's also good to consider that the traditional curves are unoptimized to function on scene referred (log) data. The majority of usable information is held mostly in the bottom/mid parts of the entire curve range.

What I would rather like to see is a new 'color space aware' curve tool that can behave practically and consistently regardless of the incoming data similar to the HDR wheels.
Something Baselight also added in the latest release.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

ShaheedMalik

PostTue May 28, 2024 2:18 pm

shebbe wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:Just monitoring in Rec709. Try it for yourself and look at the scopes.
Yes but for curves, such information is only usable when grading directly on a Rec.709 normalized signal.

I can understand the desire of the OP wanting to see mid gray and stops below/above, but it's also good to consider that the traditional curves are unoptimized to function on scene referred (log) data. The majority of usable information is held mostly in the bottom/mid parts of the entire curve range.

What I would rather like to see is a new 'color space aware' curve tool that can behave practically and consistently regardless of the incoming data similar to the HDR wheels.
Something Baselight also added in the latest release.

That's a very good idea.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests