DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Agent83

  • Posts: 46
  • Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 am
  • Real Name: Kay Golze

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 1:38 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Kay,

For issues with stability, please refer to the FAQs for what information we need to follow up. At the least we need a clear understanding of your issue and workflow, a complete listing of hardware, peripherals, OS and driver setup, and a link to a diagnostic log archive captured after a crash.

Using and exporting projects in 8K will invariably depend on getting multiple workflow factors right - GPU processing power, GPU memory, disk throttling, codecs used etc - as well as an understanding of overheads for each effect applied.

Providing this information in context of a bug will help us determine if there are hardware bottlenecks, OS related changes, driver issues, or limitations in our software.

Regards
Shrinivas


Hello Shrinivas, unfortunately I can't answer sooner. I am very aware of the special requirements for 8k video editing. As I work at the limit of the program's performance, the bugs only come to light faster.

However, Davinci Resolve has many errors in very simple functions, like cutting! I want to help you to eliminate these errors. That's why I opened up a new topic for "error reports". The topic is aimed at you, the developers. Here you can see comprehensible errors and if you want to eliminate them. The numerous trivial errors in Davinci Resolve severely restrict the program for a real professional use. I have already lost weeks and months with the program and have not been able to meet deadlines. In principle, I find the idea of the program and the interface very good. The quality can still be improved. To achieve this, I am happy to help.

Best
Kay
8-12k VR production
Offline

Agent83

  • Posts: 46
  • Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 am
  • Real Name: Kay Golze

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm

jamedia wrote:...

+10 for this Stability first, then fixing/improving current things second then new features a distant third.


That's the way it is! Especially in programming. I can only fully agree with that.
8-12k VR production
Offline

Agent83

  • Posts: 46
  • Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 am
  • Real Name: Kay Golze

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 1:50 pm

tlegvold wrote:+1 Stability first, new features second. If we can't rely on it as a professional tool, it doesn't matter how many bells and whistles it has.

...

That's the way it is! Especially in programming. I can only fully agree with that.
8-12k VR production
Offline

Agent83

  • Posts: 46
  • Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 am
  • Real Name: Kay Golze

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:01 pm

Errors are costs. And more errors are more costs. At all levels.
I would also like to point out that for Blackmagic Design and its programmers it is becoming more and more difficult to keep the comprehensive program in the market if the bugs of the program are not eliminated. The programmers themselves are developing new functions on an unstable basis and will have more and more problems even in the future. At some point, Blackmagic Design will stop programming because the internal effort has become too high. This development can be avoided if you have a stable system in front of you as a programmer and on this basis you are driving the development of new functions. It is therefore in the own interest of Blackmagic Design programmers and this company itself to dramatically improve the quality of the software.

We are all happy to help.
Kay
Last edited by Agent83 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8-12k VR production
Offline
User avatar

jamedia

  • Posts: 208
  • Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm
  • Location: Birmingham UK
  • Real Name: Chris Hills

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:07 pm

Agent83 wrote: .....However, Davinci Resolve has many errors in very simple functions, like cutting! I want to help you to eliminate these errors.......
........The numerous trivial errors in Davinci Resolve severely restrict the program for a real..... use.
......In principle, I find the idea of the program and the interface very good. The quality can still be improved. To achieve this, I am happy to help.


+1
There are a lot of things that need fixing and sorting before new features. Stability should be paramount followed by fixing and improving the usability of current features. Eg Tool Tips.

I think one problem is that it is the same dev team from day 1 some 15+ years ago? They are set in their ways and only see things one way. The world has moved on. They have to listen to the majority of their users

I would suggest that with the launch and success of three versions of the ATEM mini Resolve's market and the work flow of the majority of Resolve users is not the way it was done in the traditional film world. So a shift in thinking is needed. FCPX was rejected by many traditional film professionals as iMovie+ but FCPX has more paid users than the total number of free and paid resolve users in less than a decade.
JAmedia, Birmingham UK
www.JAmedia.uk
Offline

Hendrik Proosa

  • Posts: 1182
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Estonia

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:09 pm

Resolves pricing model might be biting them in the ass. Every developer understands this but they will not rewrite the core in their free time if there isn’t enough resources allocated for this.
I do stuff.
Offline
User avatar

jamedia

  • Posts: 208
  • Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm
  • Location: Birmingham UK
  • Real Name: Chris Hills

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Resolves pricing model might be biting them in the ass. Every developer understands this but they will not rewrite the core in their free time if there isn’t enough resources allocated for this.


Chicken and egg. If Resolve is not stable and reliable then whilst many people, like me, will try out the free version, they are not going to pay money for it.

If BMD make the program stable, reliable and more usable (with the features it has) then a LOT more people would pay for it.

I fully intended to buy the Studio version however I will wait to see what BMD does.
JAmedia, Birmingham UK
www.JAmedia.uk
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 8136
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 6:24 pm

jamedia wrote:
Hendrik Proosa wrote:Resolves pricing model might be biting them in the ass. Every developer understands this but they will not rewrite the core in their free time if there isn’t enough resources allocated for this.


Chicken and egg. If Resolve is not stable and reliable then whilst many people, like me, will try out the free version, they are not going to pay money for it.

If BMD make the program stable, reliable and more usable (with the features it has) then a LOT more people would pay for it.

I fully intended to buy the Studio version however I will wait to see what BMD does.


Am I understand correctly that you don't have the full version (therefore never paid a dime to BM) but you're here to advocate for dumping linux version (and all the user with it) and redesign the software to your liking?

because this is what it seems.
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.5.1)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.2.2.012
nvidia: 441.66 studio
Offline

Mel Matsuoka

  • Posts: 825
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 am
  • Location: Honolulu, HI

DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 pm

jamedia wrote:
Chicken and egg. If Resolve is not stable and reliable then whilst many people, like me, will try out the free version, they are not going to pay money for it.

If BMD make the program stable, reliable and more usable (with the features it has) then a LOT more people would pay for it.

I fully intended to buy the Studio version however I will wait to see what BMD does.


You speak as if Resolve is the video post-production equivalent of the Edsel, when anyone who has used it professionally every day for over a decade (particularly “A-list” colorists like Walter Volpatto) would not agree with that assessment.

Resolve has a LOT of frustrating bugs and feature oversights. But not much as to make that product too unstable or feature-lacking to use for professional work. Every software application of this level of complexity has constant bugs and areas of instability, and if you’re going to “wait to see” if BMD will ship a bug-free version of Resolve that will be worthy of your $299, then you might as well move on to another app, because it’s never going to happen.

I paid $995 for Resolve when it was first ported to macOS with Resolve 7 (back in 2010, prior to which Resolve was a quarter-to-half-million dollar investment just for a basic working system). I haven’t paid a dime more to BMD for that license since then. Despite all the bugs and frustrating feature oversights, I have never—not once—regretted paying for that $995, nor have I had any hesitation in paying for the additional $299 licenses I have bought for my facility since then.

$995 for Resolve back in 2019 was an absolute bargain. $299 for Resolve today is effectively “free”, considering just how powerful and “usable” it is. There are a few showstopping bugs and missing features, but none are so bad as to render the entire application unusable. Only an ignorant person would say or even imply that.

It’s also highly ignorant to say that the Resolve team doesn’t care about user feedback, because if you’ve used it for any length of time, you would know that they have implemented many features (and fixes) based on direct user feedback. I posted a wishlist back in 2012, and when I look back on that list today, I can see that most of my requests were eventually fulfilled by BMD.

Personally, I wish they would charge more for Resolve Studio, if only so that more money can go directly to the developers. But I also understand that this isn’t BMD’s business strategy.
Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 / Decklink 4K Extreme (11.6) / MacPro5,1 (macOS 10.14.6, 3.5 Ghz 12-core) / 96GB RAM / Boot: 500GB SSD / COMPUTE+GUI: AMD Radeon VII / ATTO NT11 10GbE / SNS EVO NAS (10GbE)
Offline
User avatar

jamedia

  • Posts: 208
  • Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm
  • Location: Birmingham UK
  • Real Name: Chris Hills

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:06 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
jamedia wrote:
Hendrik Proosa wrote:Resolves pricing model might be biting them in the ass. Every developer understands this but they will not rewrite the core in their free time if there isn’t enough resources allocated for this.


Chicken and egg. If Resolve is not stable and reliable then whilst many people, like me, will try out the free version, they are not going to pay money for it.

If BMD make the program stable, reliable and more usable (with the features it has) then a LOT more people would pay for it.

I fully intended to buy the Studio version however I will wait to see what BMD does.


Am I understand correctly that you don't have the full version (therefore never paid a dime to BM) but you're here to advocate for dumping linux version (and all the user with it) and redesign the software to your liking?

because this is what it seems.


I download the free version to try out with the intention of buying licenses. However my experience with the program and the large number of problems on basic stability have made me hold off on my decision.

Besides the number of Linux users is going to be a very small fraction of the 2 million Resolve users. It was only a suggestion to aid stability.
JAmedia, Birmingham UK
www.JAmedia.uk
Offline
User avatar

jamedia

  • Posts: 208
  • Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm
  • Location: Birmingham UK
  • Real Name: Chris Hills

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:08 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote: Every software application of this level of complexity has constant bugs and areas of instability,

That is not true by a LONG way.
JAmedia, Birmingham UK
www.JAmedia.uk
Offline

Mel Matsuoka

  • Posts: 825
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 am
  • Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 pm

jamedia wrote:
Mel Matsuoka wrote: Every software application of this level of complexity has constant bugs and areas of instability,

That is not true by a LONG way.


I invite you to specifically list the applications which support your contrary assertion.
Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 / Decklink 4K Extreme (11.6) / MacPro5,1 (macOS 10.14.6, 3.5 Ghz 12-core) / 96GB RAM / Boot: 500GB SSD / COMPUTE+GUI: AMD Radeon VII / ATTO NT11 10GbE / SNS EVO NAS (10GbE)
Offline
User avatar

jamedia

  • Posts: 208
  • Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm
  • Location: Birmingham UK
  • Real Name: Chris Hills

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:
jamedia wrote:
Mel Matsuoka wrote: Every software application of this level of complexity has constant bugs and areas of instability,

That is not true by a LONG way.


I invite you to specifically list the applications which support your contrary assertion.


Anything validated to D0187 DAL A, 61508 SIL4 , 26262 ASIL4, EN50128 etc etc etc
I have written non trivial software that was still running defect free 22 years later.
JAmedia, Birmingham UK
www.JAmedia.uk
Offline

Mel Matsuoka

  • Posts: 825
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 am
  • Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:35 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote: Every software application of this level of complexity has constant bugs and areas of instability,

jamedia wrote:That is not true by a LONG way.

Mel Matsuoka wrote:I invite you to specifically list the applications which support your contrary assertion.

jamedia wrote:Anything validated to D0187 DAL A, 61508 SIL4 , 26262 ASIL4, EN50128 etc etc etc
I have written non trivial software that was still running defect free 22 years later.

I was referring to common, non-mission-critical "civilian" creative applications like an NLE, not applications that need to comply to ISO or IEC specs in order to meet obvious safety requirements.

A color-grading/editing app like Resolve clearly has a bit more leniency (and no requirements to meet any international standards) in regards to "bugs and instability" than an embedded system that may cause a train to derail if there is a bug in the codebase. The former is what we are discussing, not the latter.
Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 / Decklink 4K Extreme (11.6) / MacPro5,1 (macOS 10.14.6, 3.5 Ghz 12-core) / 96GB RAM / Boot: 500GB SSD / COMPUTE+GUI: AMD Radeon VII / ATTO NT11 10GbE / SNS EVO NAS (10GbE)
Offline
User avatar

jamedia

  • Posts: 208
  • Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm
  • Location: Birmingham UK
  • Real Name: Chris Hills

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:51 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:
Mel Matsuoka wrote: Every software application of this level of complexity has constant bugs and areas of instability,

jamedia wrote:That is not true by a LONG way.

Mel Matsuoka wrote:I invite you to specifically list the applications which support your contrary assertion.

jamedia wrote:Anything validated to D0187 DAL A, 61508 SIL4 , 26262 ASIL4, EN50128 etc etc etc
I have written non trivial software that was still running defect free 22 years later.

I was referring to common, non-mission-critical "civilian" creative applications like an NLE, not applications that need to comply to ISO or IEC specs in order to meet obvious safety requirements.

A color-grading/editing app like Resolve clearly has a bit more leniency (and no requirements to meet any international standards) in regards to "bugs and instability" than an embedded system that may cause a train to derail if there is a bug in the codebase. The former is what we are discussing, not the latter.


All those standards (and a lot more) are "civilian" and often widely used in in consumer areas.

However the fact remains that it is quite possible to write large applications that are stable, reliable and have few defects. It is also, counter intuitively, faster and less expensive to do so.

Your argument that no one is going to get killed is no justification for poor quality.
Last edited by jamedia on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JAmedia, Birmingham UK
www.JAmedia.uk
Offline

Timo92

  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:23 am
  • Real Name: Timo Teubert

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:59 pm

- Better window customizability
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=121522

- Overhaul the "Compound Clip" vs. Nested Timeline system
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=115706

- Make undo and redo available in the text editor on the edit page

- Zoom in to mouse cursor in viewer (like in Photoshop)
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=121405
Offline

Mel Matsuoka

  • Posts: 825
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 am
  • Location: Honolulu, HI

DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 pm

jamedia wrote:
Your argument that no one is going to get killed is no justification for poor quality.


I think you misunderstand my point. I wasn't trying to justify poor quality, I was making a point that because an complex NLE/grading/vfx/audio app like Resolve is not required to adhere to international standards of quality or safety, it is not unsurprising that numerous bugs exist, and has continued to exist across multiple releases. It's not a "justification", but rather just a simple statement of reality.

If it weren't for the fact that Resolve has at least SIXTEEN years of codebase behind it (including all the accumulated technical debt that comes along with it), and has a legacy that never expected to be expanded to commodity, consumer level desktop hardware like Macs and Windows PCs before the product was acquired by BMD, then I might be more inclined to be more harshly critical of the current state of the app.

If Resolve was a new application that was built from the ground up to target the market that it's currently targeting, then I'd have no arguments with you that there is probably a "quality" issue that is worthy of criticism. But again, let's remember that we/you are criticizing the quality of an application that once sold for six-figures only to highly niche-market customers who are more tolerant of software quirks, so long as the application offers an overall net gain in productivity and creativity, which it undeniably does.

I'd say the fact that BMD now sells Resolve Studio for only $299, and also offers a 5% "crippled" version for free, allows some level of slack to be cut for the numerous issues that remain unaddressed. This in fact was one of the reasons why I never felt great about them slashing the price of Resolve to $299, because even $995 was an irrationally cheap price to begin with, and I worried that the low cost of Resolve would gain them a huge influx of new users that they wouldnt be able to reasonably support, relative to the gross revenue from the sales of the software alone. I know many developers deliberately make some of their apps available for free, rather than charging for them, only because it absolves them of having to continually support it to the same levels of attention that users expect from a paid application.

Resolve is the dictionary definition of an application that suffers from "technical debt". But the same can also be said for almost all defacto standard creative apps like Adobe Premiere/After Effects and Avid Media Composer.
Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 / Decklink 4K Extreme (11.6) / MacPro5,1 (macOS 10.14.6, 3.5 Ghz 12-core) / 96GB RAM / Boot: 500GB SSD / COMPUTE+GUI: AMD Radeon VII / ATTO NT11 10GbE / SNS EVO NAS (10GbE)
Offline
User avatar

jamedia

  • Posts: 208
  • Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm
  • Location: Birmingham UK
  • Real Name: Chris Hills

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 9:16 am

To be honest if you presented the above in a project meeting you would be out on your ear.
Your excuses and that is what they are , excuses, don't hold water and are contradictory.
That the project is sixteen years old means it should be rock solid.

I liked what I first saw of Resolve but like others here I fined there are large numbers of small problems and like the others say I think they are solvable. Most fairly easily before they add things like support for 12K that very few are going to need but if they do they still need the other problems fixed.

I think there are a lot of people who would want to help improve Resolve but I think the vast majority are outside the Traditional LA/London bubble with a different work flow.
If the defects were fixed and the little niggles were sorted then I think a lot more people would buy Resolve .
Also it would be easier to ad new features to a stable codebase.

Before you answer I suggest you read The Economics of SQ Quality by Capers Jones
After that I can suggest a reading list of another 50 books and papers on real world software development including some of my own.
JAmedia, Birmingham UK
www.JAmedia.uk
Offline

philC_retired

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:11 pm
  • Real Name: Phil Crosby

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 11:56 pm

The histogram view beneath the curves is a great feature. Don't know if to call it a bug or just a missing feature behavior, but switching between 'input' and 'output' does not change the display until a change, albeit a small one, is made to the curves. I believe the display should switch instantly when the 'input' or 'output' is selected.

Phil Crosby
Studio 16.2.7 Win10.
Phil Crosby
Premiere Pro refugee. Resolve Studio
Retired engineer, photographer, and jack of assorted trades.
Ryzen 3700X, nvidia 2060super, 64GB, 3x SSDs: OS/Programs, Projects, Scratch
Various DSLRs, trail cams, action cams, camcorder, and bridge cams.
Offline

Andrew Toul

  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 9:28 am

I'd be very happy to see a version of Resolve that has no flaws in importing xml from Premiere. I have many customers who still use that NLE and when I get their xml, videos are placed properly but audio is all over the place. I've searched through the forums and found that this goes back to Resolve 12 and no one has a fix for it. So if BMD addressed that issue and made some under the hood adjustments for v17 id be really happy.
BlackoutVFX
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 8136
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 5:22 pm

Andrew Toul wrote:I'd be very happy to see a version of Resolve that has no flaws in importing xml from Premiere. I have many customers who still use that NLE and when I get their xml, videos are placed properly but audio is all over the place. I've searched through the forums and found that this goes back to Resolve 12 and no one has a fix for it. So if BMD addressed that issue and made some under the hood adjustments for v17 id be really happy.


why not ask premiere to export a XML that make sense to the rest of the NLE world?
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.5.1)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.2.2.012
nvidia: 441.66 studio
Offline

Mel Matsuoka

  • Posts: 825
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 am
  • Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 8:40 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Andrew Toul wrote:I'd be very happy to see a version of Resolve that has no flaws in importing xml from Premiere. I have many customers who still use that NLE and when I get their xml, videos are placed properly but audio is all over the place. I've searched through the forums and found that this goes back to Resolve 12 and no one has a fix for it. So if BMD addressed that issue and made some under the hood adjustments for v17 id be really happy.


why not ask premiere to export a XML that make sense to the rest of the NLE world?


Or even better, let's petition all NLE manufacturers to start embracing OpenTimelineIO as a timeline interchange format.


https://github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/OpenTimelineIO



Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 / Decklink 4K Extreme (11.6) / MacPro5,1 (macOS 10.14.6, 3.5 Ghz 12-core) / 96GB RAM / Boot: 500GB SSD / COMPUTE+GUI: AMD Radeon VII / ATTO NT11 10GbE / SNS EVO NAS (10GbE)
Offline

Andrew Toul

  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 4:12 pm

waltervolpatto wrote: why not ask premiere to export a XML that make sense to the rest of the NLE world?

Well, Adobe doesn't deem to give a F about the rest. And I also don't give a F to improve Adobe products.
On the other hand , the other opinion makes sense. Adopting a single standard will help everyone 8-)
BlackoutVFX
Offline

Mel Matsuoka

  • Posts: 825
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 am
  • Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Andrew Toul wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote: why not ask premiere to export a XML that make sense to the rest of the NLE world?

Well, Adobe doesn't deem to give a F about the rest. And I also don't give a F to improve Adobe products.
On the other hand , the other opinion makes sense. Adopting a single standard will help everyone 8-)


I've done deeper research into OpenTimelineIO, and unfortunately it seems like it's not quite at a stage of development where it's appropriate as either a native timeline format for NLEs, nor as an interchange format between different NLEs. As you would guess, one of the main obstacles that they haven't been able to solve are variable speed time-remaps.

Right now it seems the primary benefit & focus of OTIO is for editorial to VFX pipelines, but they seem very open to expanding it to general NLE interchange, if there is "enough interest" in it.

Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 / Decklink 4K Extreme (11.6) / MacPro5,1 (macOS 10.14.6, 3.5 Ghz 12-core) / 96GB RAM / Boot: 500GB SSD / COMPUTE+GUI: AMD Radeon VII / ATTO NT11 10GbE / SNS EVO NAS (10GbE)
Offline
User avatar

jamedia

  • Posts: 208
  • Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm
  • Location: Birmingham UK
  • Real Name: Chris Hills

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 8:15 am

Why do people want to swap between NLE's?

I would have thought that if Resolve has fewer defects and is more stable there would be no need to swap. People would stay, or rather start off, in Resolve
JAmedia, Birmingham UK
www.JAmedia.uk
Offline

Mel Matsuoka

  • Posts: 825
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 am
  • Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 10:57 am

jamedia wrote:Why do people want to swap between NLE's?

I would have thought that if Resolve has fewer defects and is more stable there would be no need to swap. People would stay, or rather start off, in Resolve


Because most editors do not edit using Resolve. It’s as simple as that. It has more to do with familiarity of tools and preservation of established workflows, and little to do with the actual quality or technical capabilities of Resolve itself. You’re not going to get an editor who has been editing on Avid or Premiere every day of their career to switch to Resolve overnight, because there is a huge price to pay in terms of changes in workflows and learning curves, and most professional editors (esp in time sensitive scenarios like commercials or episodic TV or film) couldn’t spare the time to switch, even if they wanted to.

Also the desire for more robust timeline interchange comes more from colorists, not editors.
Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 / Decklink 4K Extreme (11.6) / MacPro5,1 (macOS 10.14.6, 3.5 Ghz 12-core) / 96GB RAM / Boot: 500GB SSD / COMPUTE+GUI: AMD Radeon VII / ATTO NT11 10GbE / SNS EVO NAS (10GbE)
Offline

Andrew Toul

  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:Also the desire for more robust timeline interchange comes more from colorists, not editors.


Yep. Colorists and sound mixers. Mostly editors edit in their native environment and then you have to elaborate and juggle to get a correct timeline I your colouring app or DAW. But I agree that the two major problems are
1. The proper interpretation between NLEs and
2. The developers not willing to get in trouble messing their code in favour of the common good.

But let's hope that either , the developers , collaborate or an independent developer makes a proper "translator"
for all these formats ( just like 7toX , Xtocc, etc)
BlackoutVFX
Offline
User avatar

jamedia

  • Posts: 208
  • Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm
  • Location: Birmingham UK
  • Real Name: Chris Hills

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 am

Mel Matsuoka wrote:
jamedia wrote:Why do people want to swap between NLE's?

I would have thought that if Resolve has fewer defects and is more stable there would be no need to swap. People would stay, or rather start off, in Resolve


Because most editors do not edit using Resolve. It’s as simple as that.


Because Resolve is unreliable?

Resolve has I believe 2 million users. Most users of Resolve are going to be editors. Because Resolve is free the majority of users, will not be working in teams in LA/ London. I note that despite derision from "professionals" for FCPX: in half the time Resolve has been around FCPX has a similar number of users (all paying) across the world. The only place it is not popular is the LA bubble. The film world does not revolve around LA these days. In fact Mumbai Is the centre of the film world for the last few years and the market has changed a lot.

Whist Resolve is unreliable the vast majority of single users who want to edit in Resolve won't invest cash in buying it. Making Resolve more stable and getting rid of all the minor niggles will convert that many of that number to paying users of Resolve.
JAmedia, Birmingham UK
www.JAmedia.uk
Offline

Timo92

  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:23 am
  • Real Name: Timo Teubert

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 11:39 am

jamedia wrote:Most users of Resolve are going to be editors.
I thought the majority only use it for color correction?
Offline
User avatar

jamedia

  • Posts: 208
  • Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm
  • Location: Birmingham UK
  • Real Name: Chris Hills

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Timo92 wrote:
jamedia wrote:Most users of Resolve are going to be editors.
I thought the majority only use it for color correction?


It might be a majority of paid users but not a majority of all users. You only have to read the forum that the vast majority of discussions are about other aspects of Resolve. Also I see LOTS of users on YouTube doing stuff about Resolve who are not Colourists.

It is a bit chicken and egg if BMD wants to greatly increase it's base of paid users then it needs to sort out the stability. I am not a colourist. I intended to be a paid user of Resolve but I won't be whilst it is as unstable it is now. There are other more stable options and don't need that level of colour correction.
JAmedia, Birmingham UK
www.JAmedia.uk
Offline

Håkon Broder Lund

  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 4:51 pm

- Be able to use in camera proxy as optimized media. Color uses the fidelity of the raw/high fidelity and edit/cut uses the proxy media.

- In edit. When playing a audio file in a bin you can not drag the playhead on the waveform unless you pause the audio. Then you can drag. Make it so you can drag while playing. (if there is a setting I'm missing to make this happen already, please let me know)
Camera: URSA mini pro + Pocket 4K + Canon 5D3 + Many EF leses
Computer: 3960X | 128GB RAM | 1080Ti
Remote: Top spec MBP 2015
Offline

Andrew Toul

  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 1:16 pm

Håkon Broder Lund wrote:- Be able to use in camera proxy as optimized media. Color uses the fidelity of the raw/high fidelity and edit/cut uses the proxy media.

- In edit. When playing a audio file in a bin you can not drag the playhead on the waveform unless you pause the audio. Then you can drag. Make it so you can drag while playing. (if there is a setting I'm missing to make this happen already, please let me know)


+1 for these. Especially for the audio thing.
BlackoutVFX
Offline
User avatar

skj1981

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:10 am
  • Location: Vancouver, B.C.
  • Real Name: Soren K. Johnstone

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Here's some minor features/ additions I'd love to see implemented into the next version:

In Fairlight:

To be able to use the zoom in/out keyboard shortcuts while on the timeline. As it is now you have to click off the timeline to use this function. Please fix.

A "selection follows Playhead' for audio-only options.

Audio gain using the standard shortcut 'ctrl+alt+-/+' just like it is used on the Edit Page.

Able to adjust speed changes to audio clips in Fairlight -- just like on the Edit Page.

Cheers
Last edited by skj1981 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offline
User avatar

Russ Blaise

  • Posts: 49
  • Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 1:58 pm

I use the "Transform" dialog box a lot. I'd love to be able to set and save multiple presets. For me it would be a major time saver.
Mac Pro 3.33GHz 6-Core (2012),Mojave‎, 48GB RAM, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB & 500GB, CalDigit VR, Radeon RX 580 8 GB, Intensity Pro 4k, Resolve Studio.
Offline
User avatar

digitallysane

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:51 am
  • Location: Romania
  • Real Name: Dragos Stefan

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 30, 2020 3:30 pm

brokenfeet wrote:--> or maybe have a full "fusion-like" key frame editor within the timeline.

This would be very useful.

I also find the timeline keyframe editor unusable.
The Fusion one would be a very good fit, as an UI it is much better suited for timeline editing.
Could also have a mode, like in Fusion, where the keyframes are drawn over the track itself.

And bring the Fusion splines too.
Offline
User avatar

Rolands Briedis

  • Posts: 39
  • Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostSat Oct 03, 2020 6:08 pm

"PLEASE dearest Blackmagic Team, give us the ability to scrub through the waveform in the Source Monitor!"
+
Zoom in source monitor timeline. I have filmed 2 hours long talking head it is a nightmare to put precisely in/ out marks in the source monitor.
Another option would be to implement "Fine scrubbing". For example, while holding "alt" You could scrub more precisely in the source monitor.
Offline

RandyOK

  • Posts: 64
  • Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:30 pm
  • Location: Oklahoma
  • Real Name: Randy Burleson

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

708 , srt.,.mcc, .vtt closed captioning please and thank you.
DaVinci Resolve STUDIO 16.1.2.026
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 8136
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 9:54 pm

RandyOK wrote:708 , srt.,.mcc, .vtt closed captioning please and thank you.



It does .srt.....
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.5.1)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.2.2.012
nvidia: 441.66 studio
Offline

Timo92

  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:23 am
  • Real Name: Timo Teubert

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 3:59 am

+ Ability to turn snapping on while pressing the shift key, and off when the shift key is released
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=123919
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests