Full Collaboration over internet

• Author

SlyBriFry

Full Collaboration over internet

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 4:08 pm

We need this!! A full collaborative post production environment over the internet, especially now post-COVID. We have successfully implemented a media asset sync solution by Resilio, mirroring external HDs plugged into each remote workstation. DR doesn't notice any difference, it works beautifully. All our assets are localized.

The hard part (which we thought would be the easy part) is getting DR to log into our Postgre SQL database. We have port 5432 open, but cannot connect remotely. On the LAN, yes, but not remotely. And the moment we make ANY changes to the Postgre SQL conf files, it breaks for local workstations as well.

Any insight on how we can make this happen? If at all? We are recently switching over from Adobeland and we feel DR is SOOOOOOO close, if only the project server weren't so fragile. HELP!!

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 2

Re: Full Collaboration over internet

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 5:29 pm

I'd much prefer governments got sane and just lifted all restrictions.

They're simply not necessary.

SlyBriFry

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 6:40 pm

Very helpful... thanks.

Jim Simon wrote:I'd much prefer governments got sane and just lifted all restrictions.

They're simply not necessary.

Arian Wichmann

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 11:01 am

Why not just setup a vpn on the same network as the postgresql and have all remote clients connect to the server via the vpn? Then it is a de-facto local connection (resolve will not notice any difference)

SlyBriFry

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 12:34 pm

Yep. It took me a while, but just yesterday I came to the same conclusion. I really hope this works, because the Resilio sync software works great and it's very cost effective. All the assets are local and automatically synced, and there is NO cloud storage!

Seth Goldin

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 2:10 am

Resolve does not like it when you try to use collaboration mode on a PostgreSQL server through a VPN. It seems to understand when latency is unbearably high, which is usually the case when travelling over large distances.

A few of us have poked around with PostgreSQL VPSs in the cloud though, and you can at least go work in a project, close it, and then have someone else on the Internet open it elsewhere.

I can imagine a kind of "Internet mode" for Resolve Studio wherein database transactions are cached locally and then synced with the actual cloud PostgreSQL server every minute or two. In a COVID-19 world, I think this is the kind of collaboration Resolve users are yearning for.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 Build 24
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009 (Core)
HP Z8 G4
1x Intel® Xeon® Gold 6136
48 GB (6x8 GB) DDR4-2666 ECC Registered RAM
1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
NVIDIA driver 460.56
https://www.sethgoldin.com

jonnyhyman

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 1:40 am

I fixed Resolve's internet collaboration (kind of)

The code base I wrote and the macOS application is available here:
github.com/jonnyhyman/ResolveCollaboration

Here are some thoughts on everyone's comments above when it comes to this new thing I made
  • I think that Resolve doesn't care about latency on the VPN. It just needs to have the ability to talk to other machines in a collaborative project - and if it's TCP sockets for peer-to-peer instant messaging timeout, it freaks out and throws the "VPN's not supported" error.
  • Still, pushing PostgreSQL database updates could be slow using a traditional VPN. My solution involves WireGuard, which is a secure VPN tunnel that is way faster (~4x) than traditional VPNs.
  • The only main requirement of this solution is that the network hosting the PostgreSQL / DaVinci Project Server port forwarding TCP:4444 (for authentication) and UDP:51820 (for WireGuard) directly to the server machine.
  • If latency remains a big issue, I think I could implement local database caching and perhaps a git-like system for database transactions. This would kind of nullify the live-collaboration features though.

Feel free to check it out and let me know if it solves your problem!

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:19 am

jonnyhyman wrote: My solution involves WireGuard, which is a secure VPN tunnel that is way faster (~4x) than traditional VPNs.

I guess I picked the wrong month to switch to pfSense.
Resolve Studio 16.2.7.010 / Decklink 4K Extreme (11.6) / MacPro5,1 (macOS 10.14.6, 3.5 Ghz 12-core) / 96GB RAM / Boot: 500GB SSD / COMPUTE+GUI: AMD Radeon VII / ATTO NT11 10GbE / SNS EVO NAS (10GbE)

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 3:00 pm

jonnyhyman wrote:I fixed Resolve's internet collaboration (kind of)

The code base I wrote and the macOS application is available here:
github.com/jonnyhyman/ResolveCollaboration

Here are some thoughts on everyone's comments above when it comes to this new thing I made
  • I think that Resolve doesn't care about latency on the VPN. It just needs to have the ability to talk to other machines in a collaborative project - and if it's TCP sockets for peer-to-peer instant messaging timeout, it freaks out and throws the "VPN's not supported" error.
  • Still, pushing PostgreSQL database updates could be slow using a traditional VPN. My solution involves WireGuard, which is a secure VPN tunnel that is way faster (~4x) than traditional VPNs.
  • The only main requirement of this solution is that the network hosting the PostgreSQL / DaVinci Project Server port forwarding TCP:4444 (for authentication) and UDP:51820 (for WireGuard) directly to the server machine.
  • If latency remains a big issue, I think I could implement local database caching and perhaps a git-like system for database transactions. This would kind of nullify the live-collaboration features though.

Feel free to check it out and let me know if it solves your problem!

Very cool!
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests