Feature Request - Ability to Map Modifiers Keys

• Author

brediknight

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:13 am

IN the Edit Page - A modifier for Snapping. Not an Icon or mouse press during the action. But a Toggle Modifer for Snapping to Edits.
Such as
CMD Snap to First Frame
Option CMD Snap to Last Frame

Option - Click near Transition to Trim

CMD/ALT
Option

CMD/ALT + OPtion

the ability to set these modifiers. for things like snapping, trim, etc.
Last edited by brediknight on Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Conrad

Re: Feature Request - Ability to Map Modifiers Keys

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:17 am

You mean like the “n” key already does?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

gabe67

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 11:10 am

Jason Conrad wrote:You mean like the “n” key already does?

No, not like the N key. I think the N key is very complicated, because it keeps switching between states depending on when you press it.

I love the way this is implemented in Avid. Default mode is always no snap. And no matter what mode you're in or what you are doing, once you press STRG the playhead will snap. If you press STRG and ALT, the playhead will snap to the last frame of the clip before the edit.

Advantage is 1. I don't have to always check which mode I am currently in, 2. STRG is a key I can hit blindly without looking at the keyboard, it's sort of a natural resting point, 3. the ability to snap to the last frame.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5, MacOS Ventura, Macbook Pro M1 Max

Jason Conrad

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 11:57 am

If you press and hold, the N key also works temporarily, and reverts to its previous state when you let go.

-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

gabe67

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Jason Conrad wrote:If you press and hold, the N key also works temporarily, and reverts to its previous state when you let go.

I know, but it's annoying. Like I said, you always have to check first which mode you are currently in. And then you have to time it exactly to press either before or after the click. Also, when I swap clips in timeline it doesn't work at all after the click.

brediknight

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:27 pm

[quote="Jason Conrad"]You mean like the “n” key already does?

It's close, but no. And sometimes gets in the way. That is a toggle of the state snap is NOT. Which creates the variable.

It is also only used while in the action of dragging. So the timing has to be perfect. If you press it too soon it changes the state. Then if you don't like the action, pressing it again toggles that state temporarily. But then when you are done, you have to hit it again because the first pre-mature press was not the last state you were in, or prefer to edit in.

its confusing.

An editor should just be able to edit without constantly checking the numerous states of snap, link, auto selector, trim, trim on fly etc etc.

modifiers would help tremendously.

There is also no way to snap to the last frame.

in Avid
CMD snaps to the First Frame of an edit point.
CMD + Option snaps to the Last Frame of an edit point.
Last edited by brediknight on Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brediknight

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:28 pm

gabe67 wrote:
Jason Conrad wrote:If you press and hold, the N key also works temporarily, and reverts to its previous state when you let go.

I know, but it's annoying. Like I said, you always have to check first which mode you are currently in. And then you have to time it exactly to press either before or after the click. Also, when I swap clips in timeline it doesn't work at all after the click.

exactly!

gabe67

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 10:56 am

I think Davinci picked this up from Premiere. But unfortunately, it's one of the most annoying things about Premiere. Many Premiere kids grew up that way so they don't even notice how complicated it is. The Avid way, however, is superior und much faster in terms of editing speed: you just need to check and think less. Pinky and thumb always resting on CMD and OPTION, anyways. Honestly, I think at least for Mac Users, CMD + CTRL would be even better.

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm

I prefer the toggle we have now, so if new keybindings are added, I hope we don't lose that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

gabe67

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 4:30 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I prefer the toggle we have now, so if new keybindings are added, I hope we don't lose that.

Have you ever tried it any other way or are you just saying that because you're used to it? :)

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 8:53 pm

I'm saying it because I like the way it currently works and don't want to be forced to use two different keys here.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

bellerandre

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 am

Yes, users should be able to choose their workflow to an extent. The ability to map keys differently is well within that extent.

gabe67

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 8:51 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'm saying it because I like the way it currently works and don't want to be forced to use two different keys here.

I'm all for choosing. But what do you mean by two keys? The function for choosing the last frame before an edit doesn't currently exist. So it would be one for one with a slightly different way of functioning.

It's just that sometimes giving too many options is also not the best choice. Especially in this case, where it's not only the key but also the way it works is slightly different. But I can see how some users don't want to be forced to use a better editing style :) I think everyone who has tried the Avid way for a while would admit that it's easier because it's less confusing. But thats of course just my humble opinion.

brediknight

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 8:48 pm

modifiers allow one to not have to check the status of a function first. Taking your eye off your action. Pressing the modifier enables that function without having to check or look. It because mechanical and kinetic.

Toggles force one to stop, look and choose. its slows down editorial.

Jason Conrad

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 11:05 pm

brediknight wrote:modifiers allow one to not have to check the status of a function first. Taking your eye off your action. Pressing the modifier enables that function without having to check or look. It because mechanical and kinetic.

Toggles force one to stop, look and choose. its slows down editorial.
I don’t completely disagree with you. There is some brokenness about the way snap works in Resolve, but at least on my system, I feel like it’s related to the Mac’s auto-repeat keypress, or perhaps Resolve’s inability to honor the System Preference. I don’t know.

I don’t feel like it’s far off the mark, though, and I don’t think it needs drastic change to be very good.

I somewhat disagree about knowing the state of the snap toggle. I don’t feel like I have to look for the icon, because when I’m focused on the playhead or dragging clips around the timeline, it’s obvious whether it’s snapping or not, and if I need the opposite of whichever it happens to be, I can change it without canceling the action.

There are other functions in Resolve which follow a similar convention. Holding alt/option while selecting a clip does the opposite of the state of the Clip Link icon, for example. The difference, though is that you can’t add alt/opt after you’ve initiated a mousedown to swap behaviors for selecting linked clips.

I’d argue that this type of inconsistency is more detrimental to the user experience, and that if one function adopts a certain UX convention like momentary keypress, every function adopting convention should behave identically, wherever possible.

Furthermore, such conventions should be used as widely as possible. If I’m pressing F10 to perform an overwrite edit, I should be able to hold it down to pause placement and give me the opportunity to add appropriate modifiers, for example; something to step through V+A, V, A would be nice, but walking track destinations might be even better. Heck, add click-drag and mouse wheel to modify before committing.

My point is, there’s a ton of possibilities for “better” ways to do things, but they only work if they’re consistent.

-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests