Track patching, magnets, sequence2sequence, copy2source

• Author

gabe67

Track patching, magnets, sequence2sequence, copy2source

PostSat May 15, 2021 11:45 am

The basis of this request has been discussed in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=87084

I have to admit - I come from AVID to Resolve so I'm sort of used to the Avid way. BUT I don't find any functionality in Resolve that would replace the sort of things very many of us are looking for:

1. When loading a clip/sequence/timeline into the source, I would like to see all the tracks of that element visible to the left of the tracks of my record sequence timeline. There's many advantages to that: I can see what my source actually contains in one glance - I can easily select/deselect tracks that I would like to copy into my record sequence (as of now, Resolve would just automatically add all the tracks of the source to my record, creating new tracks without even mentioning beforehand that they exist at all) - Last but not least, I could easily patch let's say v1 to v3 (the way it works now is very confusing).

2. In combination with the mentioned above, I think it's very handy being able to quickly select/deselect multiple tracks by holding down shift/cmd or alt. In Avid, you can also lasso tracks to select them. I think alt/lasso inverts the track selection.

3. MAGNETS. The auto track selectors are sort of ok, but they change the spot where they are displayed depending on the size of the tracks. It makes it very confusing in a complex sequence to see what's selected and what not. Having them aligned like Avid has also brings the benefit of being able to quickly select/deselect them in a swipe like mentioned above.

4. There's a shortcut in Avid that would copy or cut selected clips into the source monitor. This is pretty cool and much more powerful that simple copy/paste. This way I can actually cut/copy clips into my source and then decide via patching (like mentioned in 1.) where to splice it in. I know that I can also do this via the auto track selectors but let's be honest - it takes a lot of time to deselect all the tracks but the one you would like to splice into. It also wouldn't work if you want to swap tracks: let's say you copy v1 and v2 into the source and before pasting you want to swap them.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5, MacOS Ventura, Macbook Pro M1 Max

dariobigi

Re: Track patching, magnets, sequence2sequence, copy2source

PostSat May 15, 2021 7:27 pm

Option clicking track select toggles one or inverted. Hot keys can be assigned to active track as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

anikolic

PostSun May 16, 2021 9:57 am

Also coming from AVID I definitely agree with Gabe's requests.

In my view, Resolve is now superior to Avid even as an offline editor. I don't know how it would handle a huge project where multiple editors are working together at the same time, but in a single editor environment it's a faster and smoother experience than Avid. Plus you have so much ​additional functionality in the form of Colour and Fairlight pages.

But if Blackmagic wants to make serious inroads into the Avid market, it needs to implement a few features that will make Avid editors feel right at home. Features like the ones above. They don't seem too difficult to implement and once non-Avid users grasp the full potential of them, they will also find them incredibly useful. There is a reason why Avid came to dominate the professional market. But Avid are now incredibly unambitious in their updates and they are starting to seriously lag behind.

So it's an opportunity for Blackmagic. Steal the few things that still work better on Avid and give them a mighty kick in the ass.

A

gabe67

PostSun May 16, 2021 10:04 am

dariobigi wrote:Option clicking track select toggles one or inverted. Hot keys can be assigned to active track as well

Not sure what you mean..

anikolic

PostSun May 16, 2021 1:07 pm

If you hold option (on mac) while clicking an audio toggle, for example, all the other audio toggles will switch off, leaving only that one on (like solo-ing). It's way quicker than clicking each individually.

The same is true for video toggles, but there is no way to switch both audio and video toggles at the same time.

gabe67

PostSun May 16, 2021 2:34 pm

Thanks for the tip. It makes things a bit easier and faster. Kudos!

However, it's not a solution for the functionality mentioned above.

brediknight

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Separate Hot Key for ALL Tracks On, ALL Tracks Off.
So one doesn't have to check and look, slowing the editor down, and just know they are on and off. Which is the whole point of key commands.

gabe67

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:29 pm

True! That would also be a nice feature.

Same goes for the Snapping function that is mentioned in another thread. The way it's implemented now, one always has to check first.. SO annoying.

Tilmann Rödiger

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 10:48 am

gabe67 wrote:1. When loading a clip/sequence/timeline into the source, I would like to see all the tracks of that element visible to the left of the tracks of my record sequence timeline. There's many advantages to that: I can see what my source actually contains in one glance - I can easily select/deselect tracks that I would like to copy into my record sequence (as of now, Resolve would just automatically add all the tracks of the source to my record, creating new tracks without even mentioning beforehand that they exist at all) - Last but not least, I could easily patch let's say v1 to v3 (the way it works now is very confusing).

2. In combination with the mentioned above, I think it's very handy being able to quickly select/deselect multiple tracks by holding down shift/cmd or alt. In Avid, you can also lasso tracks to select them. I think alt/lasso inverts the track selection.

3. MAGNETS. The auto track selectors are sort of ok, but they change the spot where they are displayed depending on the size of the tracks. It makes it very confusing in a complex sequence to see what's selected and what not. Having them aligned like Avid has also brings the benefit of being able to quickly select/deselect them in a swipe like mentioned above.

4. There's a shortcut in Avid that would copy or cut selected clips into the source monitor. This is pretty cool and much more powerful that simple copy/paste. This way I can actually cut/copy clips into my source and then decide via patching (like mentioned in 1.) where to splice it in. I know that I can also do this via the auto track selectors but let's be honest - it takes a lot of time to deselect all the tracks but the one you would like to splice into. It also wouldn't work if you want to swap tracks: let's say you copy v1 and v2 into the source and before pasting you want to swap them.

+1000

PLEASE

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests