[Urgent] ProRes export for Windows

• Author

xchrisx

[Urgent] ProRes export for Windows

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 6:47 am

Title says it all, that is all I want for Resolve.

Thanks.

Jeff Bauman

Re: [Urgent] ProRes export for Windows

PostMon May 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Curious if you've found a solution for this...I've been using a Mac for remote renders for my ProRes needs but it does seem absurd to maintain 2 systems only for that reason. I've read with v17 you can use plugins and have found one from voukoder...From the forum on their site it sounds as though they are still working out the bugs...Seems like a lot of people would be working on these plugins so I'm curious what you've learned since your original post.

JeffreyWalther

PostMon May 10, 2021 4:56 pm

Apple will never open their render codec to Windows for marketing reasons. They think they will sell more of their machines if there is such a need for ProRes. They only have a deal with Adobe (and we don't know what Adobe pays for the patent).

But.... if you don't need iTunes (which also needs ProRes), you can stick with the AVID industry standard DNxHR.
DaVinci Resolve Studio V18
Fusion V18
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

Timothy Clark

PostMon May 10, 2021 5:22 pm

It would be nice, but doubtful considering probably a majority of Resolve users are using the free version and I doubt Apple is ever having a 50% off sale on ProRes licenses for PC...if they even offer it. They may just have an exclusive with Adobe.

I need After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. so paying Adobe's monthly fee to also pop DnxHR files into media encoder and spit out ProRes is what I have made peace with. You could get a single app like After Effects or Premiere for cheaper, and I BELIEVE that also includes Media Encoder.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon May 10, 2021 7:12 pm

JeffreyWalther wrote:Apple will never open their render codec to Windows for marketing reasons. They think they will sell more of their machines if there is such a need for ProRes. They only have a deal with Adobe (and we don't know what Adobe pays for the patent).

Almost all other softwares besides Resolve write Apple certified prores on windows these days, your info is 10 years old. I have been writing prores on win from Nuke since 2013. Just take a look at the authorized products list: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200321
I do stuff

JerryG

PostMon May 10, 2021 8:36 pm

Timothy Clark wrote:You could get a single app like After Effects or Premiere for cheaper, and I BELIEVE that also includes Media Encoder.

I have just Premiere Pro and can confirm that it does include Media Encoder.
Jerry Gardner
Northern California

Kenzo

PostTue May 11, 2021 12:33 am

JeffreyWalther wrote: They only have a deal with Adobe

Not only, you can export Prores from Fusion.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue May 11, 2021 6:26 pm

JeffreyWalther wrote:Apple will never open their render codec to Windows for marketing reasons. They think they will sell more of their machines if there is such a need for ProRes. They only have a deal with Adobe (and we don't know what Adobe pays for the patent).

But.... if you don't need iTunes (which also needs ProRes), you can stick with the AVID industry standard DNxHR.

Really? About every NLE (or other type of software which may need ProRes) has ProRes encoder today on Windows. No idea where you got this info from :) Licensing was bit of a problem in the past, but not for the last few years. Resolve is about last major tool which doesn't have it.
2nd thing- you pay 0 for licensing ProRes encoder. I know it for fact. Where do you have your info about any payments from? Youtubers and internet myths? Tiny tools (coming from 1 man companies) have today licensed ProRes, so do you think they would pay (so often mentioned) HUGE fees :lol: ?

As discussed many times- if you work alone then you can choose your format and may not need ProRes. If you work with clients then it's not up to you to choose final master format. And in 80% cases clients wants ProRes as a master as it's very reliable codec (thanks to Apple overlooking every implementation). DNxHR or Cineform are not always well implemented in different software (eg alpha doesn't work, wrong levels, etc), as no one overlooks those implementations ( Resolve went through many bugs in DNxHR and recently introduced new one within new version). ProRes about always works well. I have not see n a single tool with certified ProRes encoder which would have serious issues on import/export. This is why many clients ask for ProRes- it just works.

If you pay Premiere or AE license then Media Encoder is free. It's like a rendering engine for Adobe. There is no standalone version which you can buy as far as I understand.

Already mentioned. Here is big list of products which have ProRes encoder or decoder (a lot of them are PC based):
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200321#prores

This list also includes cloud encoding services, cameras/recorders manufactures. ProRes is everywhere today. You may need to catch up with reality.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue May 11, 2021 6:48 pm

Timothy Clark wrote:It would be nice, but doubtful considering probably a majority of Resolve users are using the free version and I doubt Apple is ever having a 50% off sale on ProRes licenses for PC...if they even offer it. They may just have an exclusive with Adobe.

I need After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. so paying Adobe's monthly fee to also pop DnxHR files into media encoder and spit out ProRes is what I have made peace with. You could get a single app like After Effects or Premiere for cheaper, and I BELIEVE that also includes Media Encoder.

I can imagine that Apple may not want free Resolve to have ProRes encoder, but see no problems on paid version.
Adobe is just one of many apps which support ProRes on Windows today. There is no exclusivity. Check huge list in post above :)

JeffreyWalther

PostTue May 18, 2021 8:27 am

Kenzo wrote:
JeffreyWalther wrote: They only have a deal with Adobe

Not only, you can export Prores from Fusion.

But only video without audio, isn't it?
Fusion V18

JeffreyWalther

PostTue May 18, 2021 8:29 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:

Really? About every NLE (or other type of software which may need ProRes) has ProRes encoder today on Windows...

Encoding and decoding are two different things.
On Windows, there are not many legal ways to export ProRes. Reading yes, but not exporting.
Fusion V18

Kenzo

PostTue May 18, 2021 9:53 am

JeffreyWalther wrote:
But only video without audio, isn't it?

No, video and audio but you must add external audio file in Saver node.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:01 am

JeffreyWalther wrote:Encoding and decoding are two different things.
On Windows, there are not many legal ways to export ProRes. Reading yes, but not exporting.

Not sure how you quantify “not many” but all these authorized products export prores on win if they have win version. Most of those softwares have. The “you can’t legally export prores on win” is a dead “fact” for quite some time now.
I do stuff

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:42 am

JeffreyWalther wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:

Really? About every NLE (or other type of software which may need ProRes) has ProRes encoder today on Windows...

Encoding and decoding are two different things.

You have plenty ways- as said many times. About all NLEs support ProRes export- Premiere, AVID, Edius, Vegas (if I'm correct). Resolve and Lightworks are last standing. Except this ProRes export is about in any grading/finishing tool as well (Baselight, Nucoda, Scratch, Mistika etc.). It's in Nuke, Fusion, AE as well as in few smaller tools including cloud services now (not mentioning transcoding tools). On top of it- import/exports works quite well in ALL tools and this is the beauty of ProRes and reason why so many companies use it as their main 'intermediate' format.
You are really "outdated" with your facts.

JeffreyWalther

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:09 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote: Resolve and Lightworks are last standing.

My friend, you seem to work on MacOS, not on Windows.
Fusion V18

Tero Ahlfors

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:21 pm

JeffreyWalther wrote:

My dude, you probably haven't used any of the software Andrew mentioned.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:30 pm

You can’t force a cripple to walk if one doesn’t want to. If someone decides writing prores on win is impossible, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It doesn’t hinder my ability to write prores in win one bit.
I do stuff

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:47 pm

JeffreyWalther wrote:

Read thread title.
You seems to stopped using Windows 15 years ago. I haven't.

roger.magnusson

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:55 pm

JeffreyWalther wrote:

Have you really not noticed that most NLE:s can now render ProRes on Windows? In the Adobe suite it was released in 2018. Avid Media Composer added it last year.

Fusion Studio added ProRes render on Windows in 2017.

kinvermark

PostTue May 18, 2021 8:13 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You have plenty ways- as said many times. About all NLEs support ProRes export- Premiere, AVID, Edius, Vegas (if I'm correct).

Yes, Vegas Pro has has been able to write "unofficial" Prores for quite a while now, but added Apple certified support in the last two releases.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:34 pm

I thought I read about it somewhere, but could not find confirmation.

DavidAR

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:45 pm

Search for voukoder!!! Is great, proress render from davinci on windows10!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
COLORIST
www.davidavecilla.com

JeffreyWalther

PostWed May 19, 2021 4:13 pm

DavidAR wrote:Search for voukoder!!! Is great, proress render from davinci on windows10!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Voukoder does not work really.
You cannot select a QuickTime/MOV Container, only render out an AVI which makes no sense having ProRes configured in the plug in settings. And in audio settings, there is also a lot of missing (bit rates etc.).
Fusion V18

kinvermark

PostWed May 19, 2021 4:36 pm

Of course Voukoder makes .mov containers... why wouldn't it?

Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (16.41 KiB) Viewed 7326 times

As for the other comments, keep in mind that it is still in early beta, and is a free product so there may be issues that need to be Resolve d :)

But still, it may be an option for some.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Chris Shivers

PostThu May 20, 2021 12:46 am

kinvermark wrote:Of course Voukoder makes .mov containers... why wouldn't it?

Capture2.PNG

As for the other comments, keep in mind that it is still in early beta, and is a free product so there may be issues that need to be Resolve d :)

But still, it may be an option for some.

yup found this out yesterday, You can render pro res 4444XQ in a .mov file. At first it did do .avi for some odd reason, but now it's .mov

JeffreyWalther

PostThu May 20, 2021 7:06 am

kinvermark wrote:Of course Voukoder makes .mov containers... why wouldn't it?

Capture2.PNG

I don't know.
Can only select AVI and another weird container.
But not MOV.
Fusion V18

kinvermark

PostThu May 20, 2021 4:06 pm

You can see it clearly here:

capture.png
capture.png (71.52 KiB) Viewed 7216 times

Maybe you haven't installed voukoder parts correctly. Visit the website and check again. Or maybe there is something unusual about your PC setup. (I don't have quicktime for windows installed by the way.)

iddos-l

PostThu May 20, 2021 4:35 pm

From what I have read, voucoder uses ffmpeg under the hood. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon May 24, 2021 1:22 pm

Not exactly ffmpeg, but libav (same code underneath though).

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed May 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Already mentioned. Here is big list of products which have ProRes encoder or decoder (a lot of them are PC based):
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200321#prores

This list also includes cloud encoding services, cameras/recorders manufactures. ProRes is everywhere today. You may need to catch up with reality.

Andrew, that list is misleading: Blackmagic resolve IS included, because it CAN export prores in linux (30k $) or MAC.

but you still cannot in Window....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 26, 2021 6:21 pm

Apple lists all software with encoder/decoder without much details. It's not some precise source of info. Don't see it that much of a problem. You don't really go there to find a software with ProRes export. If you're interested in software then you check it and find its possibilities this way.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanielStankewitz

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 4:19 pm

Voukoder shows only the available containers that support the selected audio and video codec. So if you select ProRes and ALAC ... MOV will be listed there.

liushunet

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 1:36 am

Voukoder is great.
But I still expect that the resolve windows version can natively support proress.

At least for now we cannot use Voukoder proress in “render in place”.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Apr 18, 2022 8:02 pm

I guess we need to accept the fact that they're not able to work out a deal. Fusion Studio has had ProRes encoding on Windows for about five years now. Premiere Pro for four years.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests