FCPX style range based organizing

• Author

pabloicecreambar

FCPX style range based organizing

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 7:49 am

I appreciate a lot of the inspiration Resolve's edit page has taken from Final Cut Pro X in it's design, from the inspector, transform tools, behavior of the auto track selector and even some elements of the cut page. I feel one area Resolve can benefit from, and really help users is to integrate true visual ranged based organizing the way FCP does with its keywords. The Smart Bins are a great tool, but only kind of do the job halfway. The speed gains in organizing footage in a multidisciplinary tool like Resolve with a similar style of organizing to FCP would not only be fast & intuitive, it would also bring a powerful sense of fun to organization.

Jim Simon

Re: FCPX style range based organizing

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 5:55 pm

For those unfamiliar with FCP X, can you elaborate a bit?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

pabloicecreambar

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 6:31 pm

So Resolve *sort of* has the range based organizing, where you do an in and an outpoint on the clip in the source viewer (event viewer in fcp), but you cannot specifically keyword those spots. Essentially, the keywording in FCP fully makes stuff like subclipping redundant because you can simply tag a keyword to a specific range in a clip. It's an incredibly fast and wonderful way to organize footage, in that you're pretty much purely using metadata to organize. Also FCP's implementation is very visual in that you have colored bars on the clips showing the different ranges you keyworded. You can add a "favorite" or "rejected" modifier to a range in a clip or the whole clip to further help you drill down on your selects. It's one of those things that when you experience it and it clicks, you really understand why it's so fast and wonderful.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 2:19 pm

pabloicecreambar wrote:you can simply tag a keyword to a specific range in a clip.
We can do that with Duration Markers. And we can convert back and forth from Duration to In/Out.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

pabloicecreambar

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 2:24 pm

Yes, duration markers can be used, but it is not quite as speedy or as elegant as FCP's implementation. At some point I will make a video to compare the two so you can see it. We may have a version of it, but we can always stand to have a better version of it.

Thomas Chatelet

PostThu May 19, 2022 2:48 pm

I couldn't agree more!!

Is there any Apple patents that would block Blackmagic to go that way ?

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests