Improve the Proxy workflow, more options and flexibility

• Author

g2m.agent

Improve the Proxy workflow, more options and flexibility

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 7:41 am

1. visualize the proxy clip.
sometimes I need to know which clips whether proxy or original footage. visualize the proxy clip, as EDIUS did. so I can recognize which footage uses a proxy file or not.

2. unify the Media Management and Proxy generator.
on clip -> right-click -> Generate Proxy Media is a quick and easy way, but it only supports a few options and doesn't support custom data rates.

for example:
my original footage is:
1920x1080 50f, 30000kbps, 37GB.

in the Project Settings -> Optimized Media and Render Cache, set ...
Proxy media resolution: Half
Proxy media format: H.264

the result is:
960x540 50f, 10000kbps, 7GB.

the file size is still too large! so I use File -> Media Management to generate proxy files. it can set Quality!
my final proxy file is
1920x1080 50f, 2199kbps, only 1.7GB.
it's good enough for editing.

DaVinci Resolve should unify the two settings, give the Proxy generator more options and flexibility.

Andy Mees

Re: Improve the Proxy workflow, more options and flexibility

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 12:47 pm

g2m.agent wrote:1. visualize the proxy clip.
sometimes I need to know which clips whether proxy or original footage. visualize the proxy clip, as EDIUS did. so I can recognize which footage uses a proxy file or not.
Yep, in the Edit Page Viewer, a simple overlay option to see where footage is coming from would be nice ... a simple 'P' for Proxy or 'O' for Optimized next to the the overlay track indicators (V1, V2 etc) would do it ... could even just color-code the existing timecode overlay, but that might get a bit garish.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

david_poly

Re: Improve the Proxy workflow, more options and flexibility

PostThu Mar 03, 2022 7:49 pm

A visual cue in the preview window to know if we're visualizing a proxy media or not would also be nice. As well as a toggle switch Premiere style.

toggle.jpg
toggle.jpg (3.64 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Resolve Free 17.4.4
i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 64GB RAM, 500GB NVMe SSD (OS / cache), 2TB SATA SSD (media), GTX3080/10GB, Win10 Pro

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests