Versions: Auto-renaming incremented version numbers

• Author

Mel Matsuoka

Versions: Auto-renaming incremented version numbers

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 8:24 pm

I often create many different versions of a grade, while coming up with options for the client. I will then delete versions that the client definitely doesn't like, and keep the ones that they do like.

This often results in non-contiguous version numbers, for example:

The problem with this occurs when you add a new Version to this version stack, and Resolve auto-names the new Version with the literal version count. In the above example, I kept "Version 7" and "Version 10", but when I added a new version, Resolve auto-named it as "Version 3".

This makes sense, as far as being able to cycle through the Versions sequentially in the order which they were created, using the control surface of keyboard shortcuts. But it can get confusing when you expect consecutive numbers when cycling through the versions.

I understand that you can rename Versions to whatever you want, as well as creating pre-defined version names in the Project prefs. But for the way I work, I find it much quicker to just use the incrementally auto-numbered Version numbers.

So I'd like an option that either:
  • Auto-renames the numbering when deleting other versions (although I can imagine many people would hate this behavior, just like how R17 annoyed fixed-node colorists with the new auto-renumbering behavior)
  • Creates the new Version name based on the highest auto-named Version number. So in the above example, the new version would be auto-named "Version 11", and not "Version 3"
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Jim Simon

Re: Versions: Auto-renaming incremented version numbers

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 9:25 pm

11 makes more sens than 3 to me as well.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests