automatic audio mixing

• Author

yargord

automatic audio mixing

PostMon May 24, 2021 1:04 pm

it would be superb if resolve had a feature similar to the Alex Audio Butler plugin which would automatically find the best settings for volume, compression, and ducking by listening to the source material, built-in. would be a horrific tool that will set Resolve apart from all the other NLEs.
i think it's some AI stuff. here's more info https://alexaudiobutler.com/
Windows 11 Home 22H2
i78750H
1060 Max-Q 6GB
16GB RAM

Charles Bennett

Re: automatic audio mixing

PostWed May 26, 2021 12:05 am

Though I am sure it's not what you meant, from my perspective I have to agree when you said,
"built-in. would be a horrific tool that will set Resolve apart from all the other NLEs."
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Tero Ahlfors

PostWed May 26, 2021 5:17 am

Or maybe people could just, you know, learn a craft or get someone who knows how to mix and master?

Charles Bennett

PostWed May 26, 2021 8:07 am

I'm with you, Tero. Unfortunately, as this first sentence of a quote on the Audio Butler website illustrates, the attitude that audio is not important but a hinderance, is still widespread.

"I usually hate audio and leave it for last, making it one last annoying thing standing in between me and a finished video."
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Gary Hango

PostWed May 26, 2021 1:41 pm

Auto Mic Mixing is a standard feature on many digital soundboards. It allows for unmanned mic control in conference settings. It might be useful in an NLE for Zoom meeting like projects to save some time, but I couldn’t see using it for anything else.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

Tero Ahlfors

PostWed May 26, 2021 1:53 pm

There's still a difference between having tools to automate ducking and whatnot to help the audio artist do their work and "Here's this thing. It'll do something to your audio and you don't have to deal with that."

You can smash that square peg into the round hole to fit to spec. It probably won't sound as nice and you don't know how to fix things if there's an issue.

Jim Simon

PostWed May 26, 2021 6:05 pm

Tero Ahlfors wrote:Or maybe people could just, you know, learn a craft or get someone who knows how to mix and master?
That was my thought. I wasn't a fan of the overly-simplified Essential Sound features in Premiere Pro.

I prefer a company that expects it's user base to be qualified.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

tlegvold

PostFri May 28, 2021 4:55 am

I'm waiting for a plugin that takes away all the mind-numbing drudgery of editing, grading and effects, so that I can focus on what's really essential for any good production - amazing lifelike audio that draws the listener in and keeps them on the edge of their seat!

We all know that audio is far more important to the success of a production than picture. Time to automate all that picture nonsense.

/s

Thor
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostSat May 29, 2021 5:26 pm

+500 for the feature even if I won't use it.
Options are just that, OPTIONS!

And yeah, the rest is sarcasm. But that's how we should deal with trolls! They NEVER give any LEGIT reasons against a requested feature. Your feelings DON'T MATTER. Put that in your head and stop polluting these posts!

Nobody goes in your feature requests and do what you do! You are a TROLL! It's annoying and I don't care if I go over the line here. You are so annoying, it's INSANE, I'm not the only one who see that! You don't have to comment on everything when you have nothing to add to the discussions.

You have too much time on your hand, I don't see "pros" patrolling forums like you do.

And I don't care how this comment. I'm sure many people stopped posting on the forum because of you! You are in all the threads with you "I vote no" and BS like this,.. always answering off the mark, with condescension, etc.

Nobody cares about your feelings, you are not the gate keeper of Davincy Resolve, you had TWO warnings one point! I don't care if I get one, people like you are the reason others can't enjoy this forum!
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

Jim Simon

PostMon May 31, 2021 7:51 pm

Maxwellx wrote:Options are just that, OPTIONS!!
Yes but...a program can't include all options. There just aren't enough resources.

Additionally, every new features brings with it the possibility of bugs, which also take resources to handle.

Choices about which features to include have to be made. I don't think that's an unreasonable stance.

I think this feature primarily benefits the untrained amateur, so I would vote against its inclusion in a professional NLE.

And while the final decision isn't mine, I'm grateful BMD has made a forum available for everyone to post their view on new requested features. :)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

yargord

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 11:42 am

ok, to all the adepts of the sacred ancient art of painstaking manual leveling and EQing hundreds of audio tracks, who replied to this topic:
we are glad and thankful that there are people like you. maybe you work on feature films only. but there are plebs who edit vlogs, podcasts, infomercials, tutorials, and a whole lot of other insignificant types of not-so-artistic media content. it will be a huge relief. I've done it manually and I've done it with alexaudiobutler. and i know what I'm saying. there are features like autocolor, autoreframing, etc...
this one wi'' be much more useful for tons of users. and you may still do it manually.
Windows 11 Home 22H2
i78750H
1060 Max-Q 6GB
16GB RAM

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 11:06 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Maxwellx wrote:Options are just that, OPTIONS!!
Yes but...a program can't include all options. There just aren't enough resources.

Additionally, every new features brings with it the possibility of bugs, which also take resources to handle.

Let the developers and people at Blackmagic decide for themselves (they already do, but you get the point). Please, stop with this. You're not the only one talking about "resources", but nobody except THEM are deciding if they want to invest time and money into something.

They only look at if the proposed features are interesting, possible to integrate, and if many people are for it (I just base this on common sense and logic). I'm sure they look at the ones who give GOOD counterarguments too, but those with logical and detailed examples against a feature.

I'm pretty sure they are not like : Oh, that's good that someone told us not to waste resources, we were ready to integrate this feature... pfffffiu! lol

And you know damn well they included TONS of features you were "against" over the years ;) So this "angle" of denying people's feature request only makes people who read you mad you and doesn't help anyone.

I don't know how you can't understand that. Like I said many times, if you have LEGIT reasons why a feature wouldn't be good in Resolve, describe it properly. If not, please don't post things as if you had any thing to say about how Blackmagic do their work. Is it hard to not do that?
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 12:50 am

Maxwellx wrote: ( see post chain )

opinions are just that: opinions.

I too agree that resources are not infinite: especially if you're not willing to pay a price for it. remember that there are literally millions of users that want ALL the options for free or near free.

So, Do I want an audio all do it yourself plugin? personally no, I don't use it, that is not how my company make money. I will rehaul the keyframes in the color page way before any new feature is implemented if i have a choice.

And we pay for it: pretty much half of the license we have include the big panel (30/40, I dont remember the number), so, yes, my vote is no on this.

also, i don't quite agree on making a software where the features are "by popular demand": I think that it will make for a very poor choice and incohesive software....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Peter Cave

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 1:09 am

I agree with Walter. I think auto audio mixing may be nice but I think Resolve is better left without the consumer level automatic features. I do prefer a well integrated totally manual software. Audio mixing is relatively easy compared to the rest of the job!
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Charles Bennett

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 10:43 am

For those that want that feature it's already available. You just need to buy Audio Butler.

yargord

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 10:01 am

the thing is the first NLE implemented that will benefit, and the rest won't. like Premiere Pro will benefit from YouTubers using its automatic Speech to text feature to not spending time or money on manual transcoding (which is currently an actual profession for some). you are blindfolded thinking all the users are like you, but there are very different categories of editors producing very different content: for many of them messing with audio is just an unnecessary burden. there are features that are automated already which not many uses, but some may, and for some, it's a must-have, otherwise, they'll switch to another program.
it's up to Blackmagic company to decide if it's a reasonable spending to develop the feature, but saying it must be all manual is ridiculous.
i often meet "professionals" saying arrogant things like that - "who needs autofocus on a camera - just use a focus puller...", "why to have IBIS when pros use a dolly..."
the progress can't be stopped. but there always were narrow-minded dinosaurs who reject it, stay behind, and eventually disappear.
Windows 11 Home 22H2
i78750H
1060 Max-Q 6GB
16GB RAM

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 5:18 pm

yargord wrote:the thing is the first NLE implemented that will benefit, and the rest won't. like Premiere Pro will benefit from YouTubers using its automatic Speech to text feature to not spending time or money on manual transcoding (which is currently an actual profession for some). you are blindfolded thinking all the users are like you, but there are very different categories of editors producing very different content: for many of them messing with audio is just an unnecessary burden. there are features that are automated already which not many uses, but some may, and for some, it's a must-have, otherwise, they'll switch to another program.
it's up to Blackmagic company to decide if it's a reasonable spending to develop the feature, but saying it must be all manual is ridiculous.
i often meet "professionals" saying arrogant things like that - "who needs autofocus on a camera - just use a focus puller...", "why to have IBIS when pros use a dolly..."
the progress can't be stopped. but there always were narrow-minded dinosaurs who reject it, stay behind, and eventually disappear.

Please refrain form insulting.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests