Show Current Clip With Handles: Animated UI?

• Author

Mel Matsuoka

Show Current Clip With Handles: Animated UI?

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 11:38 pm

I know there's a religious war going on in this thread regarding the pros and cons of the "cute" animation flourishes in the Edit page UI.

But one place I'm finding where I really wish the UI was animated is when invoking the "Show Current Clip with Handles" option in the Color Page.

There are often times when I forgot to disable that feature, and I start clicking around to different clips, and then get confused about what I'm seeing, and why.

Adding to this confusion is the fact that the Mini Timeline shows the clip with handles in its own "V" track (e.g. if I only have V1 & V2 tracks, enabling Show Handles causes a new "V3" track to appear in the Mini Timeline, which I think is a very confusing UI convention, because its not immediately obvious that the extra "track" does not really exist, but only exists for the sake of showing the handles in the Mini Timeline.

So, in lieu of redesigning the Mini Timeline UI to make Clip Handle mode more obvious, It'd be nice if the clip in the Mini Timeline animated itself into place, so you'd see it actually move up to this "virtual track", then animate out the handle expansion.

This animation wouldn't have to be very slow at all. Just something that clearly indicates that the clip is switching to a new "mode" of visibility in the timeline, vs just popping the handles on and off instantaneously.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests