Group grades management - group usage overview is missing

• Author

thommc

Group grades management - group usage overview is missing

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 3:08 am

Currently there seems to be no overview that shows which timelines in a project use which group grades.

This lack of visibility hinders group grade management.

Right now I'm looking through about 25 timelines and 17 associated group grades in a project because I want to rename some groups and rationalise their usage. The problem is there's no practical way I can get an overview of which groups are being used by which timelines.

The lack of overview also increases the chances you will mess up a grade in a timeline without knowing it, by adjusting another timeline's grade that uses the same group. (Especially beware in the case where you duplicate a timeline that uses group grades.) In addition, if you do make this mistake and realise it later, the lack of overview makes it much harder to find out which timelines have been affected and may need repair.
Last edited by thommc on Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR Studio 17.4.3, Win10 16GB RAM

danielstonehouse

Re: Group grades management - group usage overview is missin

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 10:24 am

100%

(And a similar overview to show footage / remote grade relationships between timelines).

I’d add to this we need a simple tool to “bake out” a current timeline ie duplicate a timeline, decompose group grades, and copy all from remote grades to local — all in one, without disturbing the original groups / remote grades.

This would allow to easily preserve / archive a grade from a particular WIP… so when the client wants a little from WIP 03 and a little from 07 you have some chance of achieving it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thommc

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 11:22 pm

I’d add to this we need a simple tool to “bake out” a current timeline ie duplicate a timeline, decompose group grades, and copy all from remote grades to local — all in one, without disturbing the original groups / remote grades.

It's not a one button 'bake out' operation, but have you tried duplicating a timeline and then 'Collapse Group Grades' and "Copy Remote Grades To Local"? Not sure if this would work for your scenario, just an idea.

From 'Grade Management' in the manual...
"Using Collapse Group Grades on a clip always removes that clip from whatever group it was previously a member of. This can also be an easy way of creating a single flat node tree in preparation for saving a grade to the Gallery for applying to other clips that aren’t themselves in groups."

"Copy Remote Grades to Local: Copies the currently assigned remote version of each clip to a
local version."

danielstonehouse

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 11:50 pm

Thanks Thom - certainly have tried using that workflow… the issue there is if you collapse before converting to local - then it collapses the groups across all of your remote grades. If you convert to local first, it looses the connection to the groups!

thommc

PostFri Aug 06, 2021 12:32 am

Arghh! Good too to know, Daniel. I was wondering how groups and remote grades might interact.

Stephen Buckley

PostSat Aug 14, 2021 11:28 pm

Yeah, group management of some ability would be an additional bonus.

Mainly I'd simply like to remove groups that I am no longer using. I've managed to move clips of one group to another group, but the old group is still there unless I DELETE it, however I am no longer certain I am using the group elsewhere. It is just taking up room in my list of 30+ groups. Again, the ability to see what group is being used, how many clips per group, what compound/nested clips are using a particular group could be helpful with organizing and re-organizing clips and their associated groups.

Maybe if the GROUPS were isolated to the clips within a compound/nested clip, then yes, it would be easier to identify if it a group is being used or not. Not sure if isolating to a compound/nested clip would be good since a scene of a show or movie could itself be of the same group.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18 - Windows 10 Pro - DELL 7910 Intel Xeon E5v3 @ 2.60GHz 12-core Tower Workstation with 96GB ram - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 TI - 1300w PSU

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests