small and big issues with "Track Destination Selection"

• Author

Philipp Glaninger

small and big issues with "Track Destination Selection"

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 3:37 pm

I see some smaller and bigger issues with the Track Destinations Selection on Edit Page

Hopefully this post is not based on a grave misunderstanding of the workflow in Resolve. So please correct me if I am wrong :D . Here we go:

A) Button to Deactivate all Video/Audio Track Destinations (= Video/Audio Only) in the Edit Page
Track Destinations set by mouse are working great. But the Video only or Audio only Buttons on the Timeline to Click on would be helpful on the Edit Page too, not only the Cut Page.
And make it a Keyboard Command too! so....

B) Shortcut to Deactivate all Video/Audio Track Destinations (= Video/Audio Only) for both Edit and Cut Page
To make this function even better make it work in conjunction with the mouse! What I mean is that it would be immensely helpful to hover with a Clip in the Timeline (by holding the Mouse) and use the shortcut to toggle Video/Audio on and off while doing so. It would be nice if the Shortcut could temporarily overrule the „Audio Track Destinations“ Settings and just import this one Clip without Audio/Video. All of this while actively hovering with the Clip in the Timeline, just like „snapping“ can be temporarily activated/deactivated with Shortcuts in the process.

C) Track Destinations Selection Shortcuts are broken when dealing with Multi-Track-Clips

Unless you are dealing with only 1 Video and 1 Audio track, keyboard shortcut are not possible. Let's say I do want Audio Track Destination 3 and 4 to be deactivated by using the keyboard? Not Possible. Functions like „Audio Destination A1 - A8“ simply do not work anymore when they are dealing with more than one Track.
Solution: Finding a system where Track Destination on/off toggling and Rerouting is possible with a keyboard. Or at least fix it so the current command „Audio Destination A1 – A8“ could toggle on/off just like they do when they deal with only one layer.

D) Using the „Move Track Destinations Up or Down“ Command destroys all the user input

When dealing with Multi tracks you often have to set your own Track Destination Routing. Like I said, the given Commands will not work in Resolve when dealing with Multipack Clips, except for one command. „Move Track Destination Up & Down“ are the only functions still working. But they may erase all the work you have done with your manual Track Destinations Settings.
Say you have 4 Tracks.
A1 goes to Track 3
A2 goes to Track 1
A3 goes to Track 2
A4 is toggled off and will go nowhere

If you press now „Move Audio Track Destination Down“, Resolve will erase all the settings above back to default and move A1 to Track 2, A2 to Track 3, A3 to Track 4 and A4 to Track 5.
I find this not very helpful. I think the command should keep the user modifications and move those up/down instead.
But now comes something even worse

E) Resolve has a semi broken Track Destinations memory
Once again working with only one Audio track per Clip everything is perfect. Resolve will keep in mind if and where your Track Destinations are placed. So if you want your Single-Track-Clip (A1) to go into Track 3 then Resolve will do this indefinitely until you tell Resolve differently. But beware if you deal with a lot of different Multi-Track-Clips. Then Resolve might restart from default with its Destinations all the time.
What does that mean? Well try the following. First create a Timeline with 8 Tracks.
Second: Get yourself two Clips. One Clip with only one Track and another with 8 Audio tracks. (if you do not have a Clip with 8 Tracks you can simply add more tracks by manipulating the Clip Attributes and duplicate existing ones until you got 8) Now lets start with the Clip containing 8 Tracks. Reroute the Track Destinations in the Timeline randomly and deactivate some. But make sure that Destination A1 goes into something different from Track 1! Drop this Clip into the Timeline. After that let us load the Clip with only 1 Track into the Viewer. You will see that Resolve will not remember any Destinations or On/Off toggles. It will reset to the default Position of A1 in Track 1. And if you load the Clip with 8 Track back into the viewer you will see that those Destinations are lost too. But there is another strange Detail. There is one exception in what I said. Resolve will remember to keep certain Destinations on/off if they are still in their original Track Destination Positions. So if you have the lucky scenario that you want A1 to be inactive and you kept it at that time in Track 1 then Resolve will remember to keep the setting. But anything else, like deactivating A5 in Track 5 will be erased if the next Clip does not have that many Tracks.

F) Visual clues are missing when a Clip has more Tracks than the Timeline.
This is its own little problem. Let's say I am working in a timeline with only 4 Audio Tracks and I want to keep it that way. But I am importing now a Clip that has 16 Tracks. Then I have only control over the first 4 Tracks Designations since the other 12 are invisible. But what if my goal is to use only A5 to A8 and fit them into the existing Track 1 to 4 of the Timeline? Right now there is nothing I can do about it. Resolve will give no visual clue to what will happen. It just creates new content into the freshly generated Track 5 to 16. After that it is up to the user to sort out what he really needs and delete unwanted timelines. Avid Media Composer is smarter in that regard because it will give the User visual indicators and options to be manipulated before the Clip is inserted. (And of course it will remember all those settings for all Clip into the future)

Maybe other feel the same about "Track Destination Selection"?
Thank you for your time!
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

rubefink

Re: small and big issues with "Track Destination Selection"

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 3:42 am

+1 I agree with all of these points as I've found it challenging working with multi-track audio files. Bare minimum can we get a keyboard shortcut to turn off all audio. Similar to the Video Only button in the cut page.

rollinwithjoel

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 4:26 am

+1 Also for these points :)

Stekarpan

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 4:30 am

+1 I’ve had the same issues when working with multi-track audio files. If these issues could be addressed it would make Resolve so much more efficient to work with.

Steph Fink

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 3:10 am

+1 This really slows down my editing flow having to constantly manage these track destination assignments. Another way to view the available tracks for any given clip would make it so that the track destination could remain at the desired setting.

Cesar Tejada

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 7:49 pm

I'm having problems trying to disable the Audio Destination via shortcuts and even with the menus. The only way to deactivate it's by clicking the button itself.

That's a bug that needs to be fixed!
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel i7-13700K 16 Cores
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
Memory: Corsair DDR5 64GB
MB: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI

Neyghey

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 1:27 pm

+1 on all Points. These Issues are the main Reason i haven't made the final switch from Premiere yet, at least for every Day Broadcast work. Track Destination Presets would be great, lets say i have one Preset for Interviews, one for B-Roll.

When i Press the Shortcut for the Interview Preset, Source Audio Track 1 will go to Timeline Track 1 and The video will go to V1. All other Audio Tracks will be left alone.

When i Press the Shortcut for the B-Roll Preset, Source audio Tracks 3 and 4 will go to a Stereo Track on A3 and the Video will go to V2. All other Audio Tracks will be left alone.

If BM would implement this, i would make the final Switch!

EDIT: Hey fellow Austrian, liebe Grüße aus Kärnten :D I see your Post is 2 Years old, have you found a solution or workaround for this issues in the meantime?

akwant

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 11:26 pm

Philipp Glaninger wrote:I see some smaller and bigger issues with the Track Destinations Selection on Edit Page

Hopefully this post is not based on a grave misunderstanding of the workflow in Resolve. So please correct me if I am wrong :D .

I'm afraid you were right here. You wrote this more than three years ago! And it still isn't fixed, alas. I love Resolve so much that I accept having to use elaborate workarounds while performing basic edit functions. But the programmers should delve into what you're describing. Fixing this would make Resolve a true Avid-killer.

Hope we'll see this in 2024, happy new year!

Cheers,
Arnoud

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Dec 30, 2023 12:04 am

I agree with most of what’s written here.

Happily - for me at least - I have a workflow which avoids using multitrack audio on the Edit page. Instead I put all the channels I want to hear into an Adaptive (N) track.

As long as I don’t have to fiddle too much with individual audio channels during the edit this works very well for me. It might work for others as well.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

rubefink

Re: small and big issues with

PostSat Dec 30, 2023 12:24 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:I agree with most of what’s written here.

Happily - for me at least - I have a workflow which avoids using multitrack audio on the Edit page. Instead I put all the channels I want to hear into an Adaptive (N) track.

As long as I don’t have to fiddle too much with individual audio channels during the edit this works very well for me. It might work for others as well.

Nice workaround. Can you explain your workflow step by step. I would like to take a stab at it. We run second sound and sync with picture. Would you make the audio adaptive before syncing?

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Dec 30, 2023 5:45 am

Funny you should ask.
I made this a few months ago:

Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

henrisch2007

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 9:41 am

+1
I am still waiting for those features...hopefully coming with the next update.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests