Editing - basic features missing for a potential switcher

• Author

Mike Kelland

Editing - basic features missing for a potential switcher

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 3:10 am

Hi there,

Bit of a list sorry. Premiere Pro can do these things and they make a huge difference in speed, especially for long-form editorial.

1. Show duration clip marker info in the timeline. ie. see the text along the duration clip marker on the actual clip in the timeline.

2. Clip markers added in source monitor should then appear on instances of that clip in the timeline and vice versa. i.e. they're added a source level.

3. The source monitor is awful to use. We need the ability to zoom in and out to make accurate selects. The source viewer is so unusable for making selects and adding duration clip markers that I put interviews in a timeline and make selects there.

For audio only clips in the source viewer there are 3 playheads (!) each doing totally different things… you want to grab the red playhead in the middle to refine an in or out point but can’t.
Trying to scrub through a half hour clip and refine a selection based on audio waveform is an
exercise in pure frustration. The waveform flashes by so fast you have no idea where you are.

4. Source monitor needs ability to view audio only for a video clip.

5. Source monitor - making selects - needs a Clip Mixer to audition the audio channel you want.
e.g. How are we currently meant to hear only channel 3 of an 8 channel clip in the source monitor?

6. A Clip Mixer would also be used to write clip level keyframes to clips in the timeline.

7. EUCON support would aid the many of us with AVID Artist Mix units etc.

8. Media page and edit page need to be able to interpret clip audio channels quickly - e.g. 8 channels of mono down to 2. Currently I have to select all the clips you want to change and then hit the trash bin icon separately on each excess audio channel. Sometimes XMLs from Premiere can come in with 64 audio channels so it can take a while. Typing in ‘2’ channels in the clip properties does not effect the amount of channels in multiple clips currently…

9. When using the trim mode ripple tool in timeline - the playhead should should stay static so you can ripple to it. Currently both the playhead and the cursor move annoyingly when you drag - so you lose perspective of absolute time. Basically, you lose your place and an accurate idea of the amount you are trying to trim.

I have plenty more feature requests, but these are my main dealbreakers in terms of trying to switch from Premiere,

Thanks,

Mike Kelland
DaVinci Resolve 17.6.4, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini, Desktop 12.2.2
16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max
64GB RAM
MacOS Monterey 12.3
QNAP server
Promise Pegasus2 raids

Jim Simon

Re: Editing - basic features missing for a potential switche

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 8:45 pm

I think it's better to post one item per thread. Makes it MUCH easier to keep the discussion on track.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

kinvermark

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 pm

+1.

It's hard to discuss feature requests as a list. Sometimes I just pick MY favorite though.

BTW, seeing a lot of these posts that seem to be "make it look like Premiere" (or Final Cut, etc.) which is OK to a point, but remember to goal is not to get a rent-free PPro knockoff, but the best Davinci Resolve possible without completely altering it's core value/appearance.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Mike Kelland

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Good point re. seperate post per request - sorry. I just felt guilty posting 9 different new posts, so I put it all in one :) Muddied the water sorry.

The general gist is that I feel the source monitor needs an overhaul. It's not a matter of making it exactly like Premiere - but you'd have to admit that in Premiere it is infinitely easier to make your selects, i.e. the actual point of a source monitor.

Currently in the source monitor it's very hard to make quick and accurate selects on clips over about 10 seconds in length, because you can't zoom in on the playhead. You're left with 2 different scrubbers, both equally frustrating in different ways.

Additionally in the source monitor it's impossible to audition just the individual audio channel you want to hear, as Blackmagic removed the clip mixer a few years back. I feel it needs to go back in.

These are fundamental editing necessities that other NLE's are able to do, not just Premiere.

Cheers,

Mike
DaVinci Resolve 17.6.4, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini, Desktop 12.2.2
16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max
64GB RAM
MacOS Monterey 12.3
QNAP server
Promise Pegasus2 raids

tevryan

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 6:49 am

+1, especially item 3

We need better ability to drag-select sections of audio from the waveform (set in out points) in the media viewer on the edit page to insert in timeline. The ability to zoom (stretch/squeeze) the waveforms. Ability to scrub audio (or video) with the scroll wheel (or two finger track pad). Maybe with a hot key.

Better multi-touch (track pad) controls in general: eg: pinch zoom in timeline, viewer, etc.

rubefink

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 12:22 pm

Mike Kelland wrote:Good point re. seperate post per request - sorry. I just felt guilty posting 9 different new posts, so I put it all in one :) Muddied the water sorry.

The general gist is that I feel the source monitor needs an overhaul. It's not a matter of making it exactly like Premiere - but you'd have to admit that in Premiere it is infinitely easier to make your selects, i.e. the actual point of a source monitor.

Currently in the source monitor it's very hard to make quick and accurate selects on clips over about 10 seconds in length, because you can't zoom in on the playhead. You're left with 2 different scrubbers, both equally frustrating in different ways.

Additionally in the source monitor it's impossible to audition just the individual audio channel you want to hear, as Blackmagic removed the clip mixer a few years back. I feel it needs to go back in.

These are fundamental editing necessities that other NLE's are able to do, not just Premiere.

Cheers,

Mike

+1
I find it challenging to work with poly wav files. Sometimes I get 8-10 tracks per take. I don’t think you’re asking it to be just like premiere. I think there’s some functionality which should just be standard in all NLEs. Similar to how every NLE uses JKL to navigate and spacebar for play etc. I feel like previewing isolated tracks should be in that same category. Just out of curiosity what is drawing you to DaVinci if PP is already hitting the sweet spot for you?

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests