Typography Smart Quotes and Special Characters

• Author

Matt White

Typography Smart Quotes and Special Characters

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 2:01 pm

We do a lot of titling in the Edit page. Unfortunately, our Windows system always inserts straight quotes " instead of the proper smart quotes “ ”. In typography, smart quotes and proper apostrophes are curvy. Straight quotes are never used in proper writing. So when we have many quoted text titles in a project, we have to cut and paste the opening and closing quotes in every clip. It takes a long time.

Is there a way to never use straight quotes " in Resolve? Or is there a way to remap the quotes keys on the keyboard in windows? (I didn't find a way).

We also sometimes need other characters, like em dash or copyright. In other apps, we can open a "Glyphs" window to find special characters quickly, and it remembers often used ones and keep them handy for quick access. Sure would be nice to have that in Resolve.

John Holt

Re: Typography Smart Quotes and Special Characters

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 2:48 pm

Hello

It looks like currently you would use character level styling and then duplicate the Text+ to avoid adding the quotation marks every time. You could also drag this into a power bin for use across multiple projects.

Is the quotation marks a specific font or glyph or graphic etc?

If so I can create a macro for the edit page which will allow you to use different fonts for the quotation marks and the text. I would basically add 3 text nodes together node, 1 and 3 would hold the opening and closing quotation marks and node 2 would be your quote.

The opening & closing quotation marks can be attached to the mask of the text which means it will recalculate the position if you change font, size, position etc.

You can remap Windows keys using Power Toys.

Let me know if I can help.
-John
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
64GB RAM
GTX1650 4GB :(
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 1000.2 GB
Dual Monitors 32" & 27" Samsung
BM Multidock
Speed Editor
DR Studio Latest Version Fusion Studio Latest Version

visualfeast

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Matt— It would helpful to learn the ALT codes so you can type them in quickly (or put them into a StreamDeck or AHK hotkey).

You hold down the Alt key and type the number on the numpad. Don’t forget the 0.

The ones for true quotes are:
‘ Alt 0145
’ Alt 0146
“ Alt 0147
” Alt 0148

Other handy ones I learned and use all the time are:
• Alt 0149
© Alt 0169
® Alt 0174

also en and em dashes:
– Alt 0150
— Alt 0151

https://altcodeunicode.com/

edited to remove code because wasn't showing up correctly in tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
•Ryzen 5950x/64G/75TB RAID/3080ti/Intensity Pro 4K/2x ProArt PA278CGV/Dell U2415/Shogun 7/HPE LTO-6/Stream Deck XL
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Resolve Studio v18.1.2 (x2)/Windows 10 Pro 22H2

eager to learn

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Hi Visual,

I'm able to create a check-mark in Libre Writer (U+2713) in Open Symbol font and a bullet point (U+ 2022) and copy and paste both into the Title editing window in the Inspector and although they appear in black in the editing window once I change the Formatting + Drop Shadow + Background + Outline Color all to white they appear in white lettering with a black background once the play-head plays over the Title.

Have you had success with underlining text in that Text editing window in the Inspector? I created the word in Libre Writer with an underline but after I copy that into the DR editing window it doesn't display the underline nor does the underline appear when the play-head plays over the Title.

Thank you so much.

Matt White

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 11:54 am

I would prefer that Resolve use proper quotation marks, rather than requiring our editors to memorize more awkward workarounds.

Some may see quotation marks as an insignificant detail, but it is not to our clients.

Andy Mees

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 12:32 pm

I would prefer that Resolve offers a choice ... or this will turn into another 'all' users getting ****** over just because 'some' users prefer something different. A simple User (Editing) or Project (Subtitles & Text) preference would suffice. For reference, Adobe Premiere offers a simple 'Smart Quotes' menu option in it's 'Essential Graphics' panel).
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests