Support AAC de- and encoding on Linux

• Author

deezid

Support AAC de- and encoding on Linux

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Pretty much the only feature missing on the Studio version on Linux.
Right now have to treat AAC audio inside mov or mp4 files (convert to pcm wav) before I can open it inside Davinci Resolve which is a huge bummer.

Also MP4 support with Audio is basically impossible due to the missing AAC encoder.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

Jim Simon

Re: Support AAC de- and encoding on Linux

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 2:38 pm

It'd be nice if there were an additional "Codec Pack" available for the Studio version that would include ProRes (for Windows), x264 (commercial) and other such things. It would be a paid option to cover the licensing fees, and allow proper software codecs, rather than relying upon the often limited options provided by the OS and GPU.

Such a Codec Pack would level the playing field across all three platforms, as well as provide some much needed options not currently available.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Trensharo

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 4:22 am

Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide. Of course, ProRes isn't going to be one of them...

Things are different on Linux, though.

That being said, when I used to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux | Workstation, they would distribute all of these CODECs with the system out of the box. Everything just worked, the same way it does on Windows 10 or macOS. Maybe they should support only Enterprise Distros that ship with these CODECs out of the box (i.e. the cost of the CODEC license is in the cost of the OS purchase/subscription)?

Still wouldn't fix the "ProRes issue," though it would handle cases like H.264/HEVC and AAC.

deezid

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Trensharo wrote:Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide. Of course, ProRes isn't going to be one of them...

That being said, when I used to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux | Workstation, they would distribute all of these CODECs with the system out of the box. Everything just worked, the same way it does on Windows 10 or macOS. Maybe they should support only Enterprise Distros that ship with these CODECs out of the box (i.e. the cost of the CODEC license is in the cost of the OS purchase/subscription)?

Still wouldn't fix the "ProRes issue," though it would handle cases like H.264/HEVC and AAC.

I think most distributions are equipped with ffmpeg nowadays anyway. So AAC en- and decoding shouldn't be an issue?

Right now the MP4 export is pretty much useless without audio lol

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Trensharo wrote:Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide.

It's not good enough, though. That's why I think a paid option to add more/better codecs for Studio would be a good idea.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

VennStone

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 8:26 am

AAC encoding in the Studio version would be a welcome addition on Linux.

If I could get that, Ut Video support, and the ability to use my Xtouch control surface life would be good.
Debian 10 / 11
Magewell 11100 Pro
Intensity Pro
Intensity Pro 4K
DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K
DeckLink Quad

canezila

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 2:22 pm

deezid wrote:
Trensharo wrote:Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide. Of course, ProRes isn't going to be one of them...

I think most distributions are equipped with ffmpeg nowadays anyway. So AAC en- and decoding shouldn't be an issue?

This answers why I am having issues with all audio encoded MP4s on Studo via Linux. And I agree with deezid points.

deezid

PostSat Nov 30, 2019 2:24 pm

canezila wrote:
deezid wrote:

This answers why I am having issues with all audio encoded MP4s on Studo via Linux. And I agree with deezid points.

No audio, right?
Greyed out when exporting MP4 lol

deezid

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 10:42 pm

16.1.2 Studio still without AAC de-/encoding support.

markhimsley

PostSun Feb 09, 2020 3:30 pm

I asked Peter Chamberlain in an email chain "why AAC is not an acceptable CODEC on Linux" and he replied that "the simple answer is due to licensing".

It seems strange to me that AAC can't be licensed in DR Studio when h.264 and ProRes can.
--
Mark Himsley

ATEM Mini
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Intensity Pro 4K
UltraStudio 3D

theskipper

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 6:09 am

so there is no workaround for AAC on Linux even for Studio??

this is a huge bummer. shame on me for not checking before purchasing a Studio license, but also I mean come on... it's audio decoding, I would not have thought it would be an issue. my GoPro footage has AAC inside the MP4s :( at least the Sony camera works w/o intermediate re-encoding now, but this means my workflow is still annoying until i can rely on Studio to consistently read all footage

DavidS42

PostWed May 13, 2020 10:05 am

oof :-/ :cry: this is really disappointing after having spent a good chunk of money on the Studio Version.

If I'm lucky, I can still get a refund. If I need to re-encode anyways, I don't need the Studio license either.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 13, 2020 2:22 pm

markhimsley wrote:I asked Peter Chamberlain in an email chain "why AAC is not an acceptable CODEC on Linux" and he replied that "the simple answer is due to licensing".

It seems strange to me that AAC can't be licensed in DR Studio when h.264 and ProRes can.

Licensing ProRes costs nothing.
With AAC it's different:

"No licenses or payments are required for a user to stream or distribute content in AAC format.[48] This reason alone might have made AAC a more attractive format to distribute content than its predecessor MP3, particularly for streaming content (such as Internet radio) depending on the use case.

However, a patent license is required for all manufacturers or developers of AAC codecs.[49] For this reason, free and open source software implementations such as FFmpeg and FAAC may be distributed in source form only, in order to avoid patent infringement. (See below under Products that support AAC, Software.)"

DavidS42

PostWed May 13, 2020 5:30 pm

"No licenses or payments are required for a user to stream or distribute content in AAC format.[48] This reason alone might have made AAC a more attractive format to distribute content than its predecessor MP3, particularly for streaming content (such as Internet radio) depending on the use case.

However, a patent license is required for all manufacturers or developers of AAC codecs.[49] For this reason, free and open source software implementations such as FFmpeg and FAAC may be distributed in source form only, in order to avoid patent infringement. (See below under Products that support AAC, Software.)"

So? Then why can Resolve - even/especially in the paid version - not even READ AAC?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 13, 2020 7:26 pm

To create decoder you also need license most likely.

DavidS42

PostThu May 14, 2020 7:37 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:To create decoder you also need license most likely.

That why I paid for the Studio version - to get all the licenses. Turns out I paid for half a product.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu May 14, 2020 3:56 pm

If you take all licensing from 300$ then not that much is left. How are you going to pay for all the developers? You know how much they cost :D

DavidS42

PostFri May 15, 2020 8:36 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you take all licensing from 300$ then not that much is left. How are you going to pay for all the developers? You know how much they cost :D

Saying "the product is too cheap" in a weird way won't make it functional for me.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri May 15, 2020 9:08 am

Buying a product which has no needed functionality is also strange. It’s a fact that AAC is not supported on Linux. Why have you bought it then? I know why- because it’s cheap and offers tons of other functionality for its price. Sorry but you are victim of your own. You have been given reasons why it’s not there. There is not much more to it. Maybe it will change in the future maybe not.

Trensharo

PostSun May 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Trensharo wrote:Windows is actually pretty good about what Decoders and Encoders they provide.

It's not good enough, though. That's why I think a paid option to add more/better codecs for Studio would be a good idea.

It's good enough :-)

Windows is way better than macOS when it comes to CODEC support out of the box.

It just doesn't have support for Apple's proprietary CODECs like ProRes, the same way Apple doesn't ship WMV/WMA support out of the box. Economically it makes little sense to license those, because they are fairly industry specific and the license costs would have to be negligible for it to make sense. It's better off left to the individual solution/software developers.

Aside from that, Windows has native AAC CODECs, so I'm not even understanding this reply. You don't have this issue on Windows. The issue is on Linux.

Windows has pretty much ALWAYS had superior out of the box CODEC support to macOS, in recent history. Apple's "superiority" has always hinged on its CODECs being industry standard or ubiquitous in certain industries - not on breadth of support.

For Linux users, this issue is completely different. I still think supporting Enterprise Distros that ship the CODECs would be a great option, that way they don't have to worry about licensing it. They can just use the CODEC that ships with the system.

Trensharo

PostSun May 17, 2020 5:07 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Buying a product which has no needed functionality is also strange. It’s a fact that AAC is not supported on Linux. Why have you bought it then? I know why- because it’s cheap and offers tons of other functionality for its price. Sorry but you are victim of your own. You have been given reasons why it’s not there. There is not much more to it. Maybe it will change in the future maybe not.

Agree. Also don't see why using Windows is such a problem. Use it for work and then go back to whatever else you prefer when you aren't working. It's not going to kill anyone.

One could always just use a Mac, as well.

CODEC support document has always been pretty explicit about what is supported and what isn't.

kenjohanson

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 3:37 am

Does anyone know a way to get Resolve to use existing libs/APIs to auto connect (or preconfigure for) various audio codecs, at least for decode if not also encode?? Similar to how other Linux media players, and Windows and Mac (if I'm not mistaken)?..

For example /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfaad.so.2 for AAC? Or if that's also it's own license issue (compiling against those libs), doesn't Linux have an audio API that accessed the non-codec specific (decompressed) audio?

I just made the switch from w10 to Mint, and everything I've tried so far (save audio codecs) seems to work incredibly well. I'm SUPER impressed with the GPU accelerated neural performance on Studio! But, I have years worth of home movies which are both AAC (phone and cameras), and AC3 audio (m2ts/mts / AVCHD). It's a few terabytes in all (yes I've love taking video!) so I'd really like to avoid any intermediate transcoding..

This audio thing seems like it is the LAST barrier, and really Resolve is now the ONE app I have to resort to booting back into windows for.. I'm with others that if we can't get auto-graphing of the CODECs, then I'd pay a bit extra for .so files we have to drop into resolve... or one per needed codec I should say (in my case AAC and AC3).
Resolve Studio 18, Ryzen 7 5700, 32G DDR4, 1070ti 8GB, Mint/Ubuntu 21 + KDE-Plasma 5.24

atmosfar

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 1:36 pm

So ffmpeg can't be distributed with DR, I guess that's the licensing issue? But it doesn't seem that big a deal, like said earlier it's already included in most distros and it's fairly trivial to obtain it yourself. Lots of other software deals with this issue (ie Reaper) or similar when exporting MP3s with LAME.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 6:19 pm

ffmpeg is not a "single" thing.
It all depends on the build- some are rather free of any licensing issues, some are not at all.
AAC is not licensing free codec.

However, a patent license is[when?] required for all manufacturers or developers of AAC codecs.[49] For this reason, free and open source software implementations such as FFmpeg and FAAC may be distributed in source form only, in order to avoid patent infringement. (See below under Products that support AAC, Software.)

The AAC patent holders include Bell Labs, Dolby, Fraunhofer, LG Electronics, NEC, NTT Docomo, Panasonic, Sony Corporation,[1] ETRI, JVC Kenwood, Philips, Microsoft, and NTT.[12]"

BM would have to pay license to include it in Resolve and if you offer free software then you simply loose money on every copy of free Resolve. In case of Studio it's a different story, but what BM charges for it is not much, where those licensing fees can be really high. This is exactly he same reason why some other codecs are not there.

atmosfar

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 6:24 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:ffmpeg is not a "single" thing.
It all depends on the build- some are rather free of any licensing issues, some are not at all.

Yes, I'm aware of that. In the case of Reaper it ships with the basic codecs and you must supply your own "-nonfree" build to use H264 etc.

https://reaperblog.net/2020/11/ffmpeg-for-reaper-users/

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 6:25 pm

kenjohanson wrote:Does anyone know a way to get Resolve to use existing libs/APIs to auto connect (or preconfigure for) various audio codecs, at least for decode if not also encode?? Similar to how other Linux media players, and Windows and Mac (if I'm not mistaken)?..

For example /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfaad.so.2 for AAC? Or if that's also it's own license issue (compiling against those libs), doesn't Linux have an audio API that accessed the non-codec specific (decompressed) audio?

I just made the switch from w10 to Mint, and everything I've tried so far (save audio codecs) seems to work incredibly well. I'm SUPER impressed with the GPU accelerated neural performance on Studio! But, I have years worth of home movies which are both AAC (phone and cameras), and AC3 audio (m2ts/mts / AVCHD). It's a few terabytes in all (yes I've love taking video!) so I'd really like to avoid any intermediate transcoding..

This audio thing seems like it is the LAST barrier, and really Resolve is now the ONE app I have to resort to booting back into windows for.. I'm with others that if we can't get auto-graphing of the CODECs, then I'd pay a bit extra for .so files we have to drop into resolve... or one per needed codec I should say (in my case AAC and AC3).

There is no such a functionality in Resolve. There is one for export now, but not for import and this is unlikely to change.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 6:26 pm

atmosfar wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:ffmpeg is not a "single" thing.

Yes, I'm aware of that. In the case of Reaper it ships with the basic codecs and you must supply your own "-nonfree" build to use H264 etc.

https://reaperblog.net/2020/11/ffmpeg-for-reaper-users/

BM is unlikely to do such a thing- too big company to play such a games.
Other than this Resolve does already use portion of ffmpeg code/features.

atmosfar

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 6:49 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:BM is unlikely to do such a thing- too big company to play such a games.

Have you seen the state of Fusion's integration into DR? :lol:

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 7:23 pm

Different matter.

Kris Limbach

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 11:51 am

yeah this is really sad. just ran into the problem: recording live concerts with the atem mini pro iso, try to edit the material afterwards: sound is gone when trying to edit on a linux machine in davinci resolve 17 studio. sounds like a joke but it is not. for all the reasons named here and there, i think there is no real reason to get this just working right (or pay extra or whatever it needs to get it working...) so on linux i will import all videos to kdenlive or shotcut, export the audio to wav, then go to resolve? try some one liner ffmpeg command, stitch everything together afterwards? doesnt feel like 2021 lol...

BetaWar

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 3:57 am

Agreed. I purchased a Studio license to get access to the MP4 video encoding (since basically everything I have is in mp4 format), just to find out that it doesn't support, well basically any audio format that MP4 can readily be encoded with.

In this case, I tried the following (all of which work fine in VLC player, and Olive (an open-source, minimal video editor)):
  • AAC
  • A52 (also known as AC3)
  • MPEG 2 (mpga)

I eventually wound up exporting via Olive to a .mov with WAV audio (sowt codec) to be able to import properly into DR. Not exactly the best experience, especially if we have all of the audio codecs and libraries installed on our boxes to begin with. It would be really nice if DR could notice available libraries and act accordingly.

mattvenn

PostWed Jun 30, 2021 3:51 pm

Another Linux user here who would love AAC support.

ad.morris

PostSun Jul 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Is there seriously no workaround for this!? Resolve on Linux can't even import the audio portion of the most ubiquitous video file format in existence. WTF!

TheAnnihilator

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 3:28 am

Another vote here for AAC support on linux please!

I would even be happy to pay an additional $20-$30 to license it separately if I had to.

Had I known AAC was not supported via studio, I likely would not have purchased it as nice of a program as it is.

Ashark

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 10:43 pm

I wonder if that is theoretically possible to implement via some plugin?

I saw a NobeDisplay plugin for dr (unfortunately, commercial and only for winOS and macOS). It is a workaround solution for full screen preview in a separate window. The plugin is an external program. It worked via added node in the composition. Dr feeds the content to the node of a plugin, then to actual output. Then the program takes care of the rest.

Probably the similar technique could be used here. I think if the dr did not decode the audio stream, then it cannot be feed to plugin from inside dr. But what if the dr could send a clip's file name? Then the plugin could grab that from file system, then decode the sound from it and feed it back to dr.
So you just import all your mp4/mov with aac, then link to the plugin and that is handling the sound.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 7:38 pm

Encoding easily in latest Studio version.
Decoding impossible atm. as Resolve has no input integration ability at all.

ctdlg-clatique

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 3:32 pm

Just bought Davinci Studio, no AAC decoding for me under Linux.
I suppose I have to switch to Windows ( I prefer Linux)

Speed Editor works as expected after solving root only problem !
I9, 32gb ram, rtx 3080Ti 3x nvme disks, speed editor.
Davinci Studio 18

ctdlg-clatique

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 3:30 pm

Shotcut is free and allows mp4 files with aac sound. (input and output)

Before switching to Windows, I would like to know why Davinci STUDIO is not able to play and record AAC sound !
I9, 32gb ram, rtx 3080Ti 3x nvme disks, speed editor.
Davinci Studio 18

Csaba Kopias

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 9:24 am

Yes it's kinda disturbing, but I have a great workaround for it:

Put this into a shell script:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
for i   
do
    echo "Processing $i"
    filename=$(basename -- "$i")
    extension="${filename##*.}"
    filename="${filename%.*}"

if [ -f ${filename}_afx.mov ]; then
    echo "${filename}_afx.mov already exists."
    continue
    fi
    ffmpeg -y -i "$i"  -stats -hide_banner -loglevel panic -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec copy "${filename}_afx.mov"
done

Then run with "draudiofix.sh *.mp4" or something.

It is just a wrapper around ffmpeg as you can see.

The trick is, that this ffmpeg command will COPY the frames but TRANSCODE the audio, therefore it is fast and results in no video quality loss!

Have a nice day:)

tatrapikao

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 6:15 pm

But why? Just tell us!
Linux - Xubuntu 20.04.03 - liquorix Kernel - DRS 17.4.2 - Project Server
Ryzen 3700X - 32GB DDR4 - RTX3080 - RME HDSP
URSA Broadcast / Studio Camera 4K Pro / micro Studio Camera / Lumix G85

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 7:08 pm

ctdlg-clatique wrote:Shotcut is free and allows mp4 files with aac sound. (input and output)

Before switching to Windows, I would like to know why Davinci STUDIO is not able to play and record AAC sound !

No licenses or payments are required for a user to stream or distribute content in AAC format.[49] This reason alone might have made AAC a more attractive format to distribute content than its predecessor MP3, particularly for streaming content (such as Internet radio) depending on the use case.

However, a patent license is[when?] required for all manufacturers or developers of AAC codecs.[50] For this reason, free and open source software implementations such as FFmpeg and FAAC may be distributed in source form only, in order to avoid patent infringement. (See below under Products that support AAC, Software.)

The AAC patent holders include Bell Labs, Dolby, Fraunhofer, LG Electronics, NEC, NTT Docomo, Panasonic, Sony Corporation,[1] ETRI, JVC Kenwood, Philips, Microsoft, and NTT.[13]

This is why. Distribution/streaming is free, but codec itself is not.
Company like BM can't use ffmpeg code to decode/encode AAC as this is not a licensed solution.

DesertCookie

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 3:42 pm

I'd love to have AAC encoding on Windows too.

For when I just need scratch audio, I don't want to keep the camera's 24bit PCM and convert it to 16bit FLAC to at least save on some space.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 11:03 pm

You should keep original recordings as WAV.
AAC or MP3 is not the best choice. Just RAR wavs and job done.
Use AAC or MP3 as delivery format.

Devonavar

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 8:53 pm

AAC *encoding* can be had via MainConcepts plugin: https://www.mainconcept.com/blackmagic-plugins

I haven't tested it, and their marketing about being "faster than open source" offends me, but the functionality looks like it's there.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
www.thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Devonavar

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 8:55 pm

AAC *decoding* is a really important feature ... I don't always have control over my source footage. Among other things, GoPro footage is often AAC encoded. Even if it's just provided by a third-party plugin (the way MainConcept now provides AAC encoding), we need a way to deal with this that is more elegant than transcoding before ingesting.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 pm

Not going to happen atm. as there is no way to write import plugin for Resolve (only export).

Mainconpect SDKs are fine and used in probably 70%+ of post apps- from Adobe to Autodesk.

Devonavar

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 5:11 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Not going to happen atm. as there is no way to write import plugin for Resolve (only export).

Hence, my feature request: Since native AAC decoding does not seem to be in the cards, I would like to see import plugin support as a feature. Saying "its not going to happen" seems like a strange response on "feature request" forum...
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 11:04 am

Not going to happen for plugin as there is no such thing atm.
Not- not going to happen for import API.
As you said- those are separate things.

hutber

PostMon Mar 14, 2022 4:43 pm

Ah this is sad news indeed! I don't unfortunately have a single video that isn't AAC. I have around 800gb per football game that I would need to extract the audio from. With 2 games a week :D This isn't my job either sadly.

So I'll need to request a refund which is rather sad!

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Mar 14, 2022 4:57 pm

1 x 1TB drive + eg. 1 night and you have all masters re-wrapped as PCM and working in Resolve.
I don't see it as huge problem. When we need to transcode video then it's much bigger pain. Audio bit is easy and fast.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests