Provide button to save "User Default" settings

• Author

rsf123

Provide button to save "User Default" settings

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 12:58 pm

Right now, when a Project settings have been set, the way to make those to be the User Default settings for all future Projects, is to right-click the Current Project, and select "Save As User Default Config".

As with other right-click features that are otherwide hidden, there is no visual indication that this is possible.

May I share my experience how I learned the above feature: For about 2 full years, I watched YouTube tutorials on how to adjust the Preferences and Settings, and not one of those Tutorials mentioned how to save these to be the Default setting for all future Projects. Then there happened to stumble across a Tutorial that did mentioned it (The YouTube channel: "The Modern Filmmaker"). If not for that one person mentioned this, I would still be in the dark - unless, of course, I read the Manual.

Ok, you can argue that I should have read the Manual - but for most software, such a basic task is something that can be figured out from the U.I. rather than having to read the Manual.

For such a basic task, it's odd that it is hidden away as a right-click in an area of the screen where one would never expect to right-click.

pref.png
pref.png (216.93 KiB) Viewed 276 times

I will describe how non-intuitive this is: The place to adjust Project settings is by clicking the settings-wheel at the bottom right corner of the screen. That brings up the Project Settings panel. Whereas, the place to set the Default, is over in the Preferences panel. What's more, the ability to set the Default is hidden by having to right-click on part of the screen where most users would never dream of right-clicking.

I imagine that the intuitive place to save the Default is at the Project Settings panel. When it gives the option to SAVE, there could be an option to SAVE AS DEFAULT.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests