Feature Request: Custom Timeline and Export FPS

• Author

lizardpeter

Feature Request: Custom Timeline and Export FPS

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 12:40 am

As technology is improving and more and more devices are supporting higher refresh rates (see iPhone, iPad, MacBook, many PC monitors, LG OLED TVs, etc), higher frame rates are becoming much more common. I purchased the Studio version of Resolve for the 120 FPS timeline and export support. It has been amazing for editing and rendering 120 FPS footage and also making custom animations in Fusion that are silky smooth.

However, I think it's important not to stagnate and to stay ahead of the curve. Apple has filed patents for 240 Hz screens, and many people, such as myself, are already in possession of monitors with refresh rates as high as 390 Hz. There are also applications for rendering at high frame rates for use in other programs later on (data analysis, interpolation, etc).

Therefore, I was wondering if Blackmagic would be able to provide the Studio version with a custom input for timeline and export frame rate so that those of us who have a use for high frame rates can pick any setting we want.

lizardpeter

Re: Feature Request: Custom Timeline and Export FPS

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 10:39 pm

Since I have posted this suggestion multiple times in the past and have never received a response, does anyone here know of a way I can do this myself? Is there a way to modify the presets or create custom export presets with higher frame rates? I know you can already export in any FPS using Premiere Pro and Media Encoder, but I would rather stick with Resolve and Fusion.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 3:15 am

lizardpeter wrote:Since I have posted this suggestion multiple times in the past and have never received a response, does anyone here know of a way I can do this myself? Is there a way to modify the presets or create custom export presets with higher frame rates? I know you can already export in any FPS using Premiere Pro and Media Encoder, but I would rather stick with Resolve and Fusion.

I don't think resolve will allow for this: timecode representation is one of the problematic examples.

even 120fps is really exotic...... I dont see random FPS out of the blue....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

lizardpeter

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 8:05 am

waltervolpatto wrote:I don't think resolve will allow for this: timecode representation is one of the problematic examples.

even 120fps is really exotic...... I dont see random FPS out of the blue....

Thanks for your input. I too was thinking that it would have to be something implemented software-wide compared to simply hacking some new render preset. The timeline itself would have to be changed to be aware of this new FPS too.

So I guess my question gets more refined now. Do any developers at Blackmagic or any modders in the community know of any ways to get both the timeline and export frame rates to have custom inputs? I can't imagine it would be difficult to implement, right? Couldn't just any other integer value be plugged in in exactly the same spots in the code where other presets like 30 and 60 FPS are defined?

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests