Smart Blur / Surface Blur Filter Option

• Author

creativespiral

Smart Blur / Surface Blur Filter Option

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 4:22 am

Would love to have access to a Smart Blur / Surface Blur filter... like in Photoshop, with controls for the edge/blending threshold and blur radius.

Blurs the surfaces / inner areas, reducing the blur in the proximity of edge threshold - keeps nice crisp edges with no bleed from other regions.

Marc Wielage

Re: Smart Blur / Surface Blur Filter Option

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 1:36 am

creativespiral wrote:Would love to have access to a Smart Blur / Surface Blur filter... like in Photoshop, with controls for the edge/blending threshold and blur radius. Blurs the surfaces / inner areas, reducing the blur in the proximity of edge threshold - keeps nice crisp edges with no bleed from other regions.

The workaround for me would be to use a mask (that is, a Power Window) or a key to constrain the blur or defocus effect. I use this quite a bit to surgically blur just the areas necessary in a shot.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Andy Mees

Re: Smart Blur / Surface Blur Filter Option

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 11:06 am

Hey Jason, I appreciate you're not asking how to create a Surface Blur like effect with existing tools, but if you do want to play around with it, a relatively straightforward Edge Detect --> Blur flow in Fusion might be a good starting point. A wealth of controls in each of the nodes would give you an endless variety of creative options. Feel free to substitute the Blur with other creative effects to see what else you can come up with. Save any or all of them as Template effects for use directly in the Edit Page etc.

ImageCheers
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests