Davinci Resolve on Linux Mint (Ubunto / Debian)

• Author

stefan-franz

Davinci Resolve on Linux Mint (Ubunto / Debian)

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 8:17 am

Hello, i like Davinci Resolve under Windows. Because of security issues i work under Linux and more and more are switching to Linux worldwide.

I would be happy if there would be in the future a installation file (.deb) and if Davinci can import:
- mp3 Files (at the moment only Wav under Linux)
- mp4 Files (at the moment only .mov)

and can export mp4 files (at the moment only .mov)
Greetings, Stefan
Davinci Studio 18 with Speed Controller

Devonavar

Re: Davinci Resolve on Linux Mint (Ubunto / Debian)

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 1:38 am

+1

I'm pretty sure their whole Linux userbase would like this. I sure would.

However, it's unlikely to happen for patent reasons.

Not to say we can't hope.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
www.thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Devonavar

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 1:39 am

Also, I believe Linux resolve does currently import (but not export) mp3 files, as the mp3 codec is now out of patent protection.

But there's plenty of other codec headaches. I would love to see AAC decoding.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

khx964

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 9:43 pm

What exactly is the issue with licensing/patent in Linux?

This whole thing (mp4, mp3, etc) in Davinci linux sounds strange given the exact opposite nature of open source software. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there might be good reasons for this, but having a free version of the software on Windows with all the codecs, and then have the same software under Linux not running all codecs because of licensing/patenting issues just sounds upside down world to me.

Someone care to enlighten me please?

Devonavar

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 11:28 pm

It's a complex issue, and I'm not sure I have all the nuances, but here's what I got. Most patent-protected, proprietary codecs charge for licenses that become cost-prohibitive for software like Resolve which is widely distributed free (but DaVinci would have to pay a per-user royalty), or to a relatively small paid userbase, which forces DaVinci to pick and choose which codecs are most important to license, rather than just licensing them all.

On Windows / Mac, I believe they are able to supplement their codec list with functionality that is provided by the OS (i.e. Microsoft / Apple pay the royalties on behalf of their users). On Linux, this functionality is commonly provided by ffmpeg / libavcodec, which are free/libre software, and are not license-compatible with proprietary software like Resolve, so resolve cannot ship with it, and for some reason, DaVinci (or their lawyers) have judged that they can't use the OS codecs in Linux.

Long story short, ideals nonwithstanding, free/libre software doesn't always play nicely with proprietary software like Resolve.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

jamedia

PostSun Feb 13, 2022 8:10 pm

stefan-franz wrote:Hello, i like Davinci Resolve under Windows. Because of security issues i work under Linux and more and more are switching to Linux worldwide.

That's strange because for reasons of security we won't use Linux... in any case there are many 100's of Linux distributions to choose from any one of which could disappear tomorrow.

The problem of building software for Linux comes down to Licensing. GPL3 has moved a long way to alleviating this but a lot of Sw and libraries needed for a Linux build are still GPL2 and won't be GPL3 anytime soon. The other problem is not that Resolve has licensed the drivers but that MS and Apple have. Drivers are usually part of the OS.

As there is no Linux Inc to license anything you won't get the drivers on Linux.

There is no such thing as utopia and nothing in this life is free... someone somewhere has to pay, one way or the other.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

stefan-franz

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 12:09 pm

It's your decisson.....i can say, that i work since 1 year with Linux Mint 21 and all is working fine.
If you ever switch to Linux, you won't come back.

Because of security issues: No one nows what windows is all sending "at thome".....

And my machines are running 30-50% faster with Linux Mint as with Windows 10.
Greetings, Stefan
Davinci Studio 18 with Speed Controller

jamedia

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 2:20 pm

stefan-franz wrote:It's your decisson.....i can say, that i work since 1 year with Linux Mint 21 and all is working fine.
If you ever switch to Linux, you won't come back.

I have used several Linux, several UNIX, other POSIX RTOS, OSX, IoS Windows, DR GEM, Multiple DOS and other RTOS. (My degree is Computer Systems ;Operating Systems)

stefan-franz wrote:I Because of security issues: No one nows what windows is all sending "at thome".....

Likewise with Linux. (the kernel has been got at more than once with malware updates)

stefan-franz wrote:And my machines are running 30-50% faster with Linux Mint as with Windows 10.

Good for you, you are comparing apple and pears. And the 30-50% faster is BS
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests