Edit Page Overhaul

• Author

gabe67

Edit Page Overhaul

PostFri May 13, 2022 1:08 pm

Hi guys,

first of all - thank you so much for this wonderful tool. Davinci Resolve is the most versatile post production tool out there and it's getting better with every version.

In my 20 years of experience, I've been working on Avid, FCP, Premiere, Edius and Vegas. I am mentioning this to make it clear that I can adapt to many different ways of getting the job done. So please spare me with comments like "Oh, with Davinci you just going to have to rethink editing" or "Oh, just avoid doing that" or "Davinci is just different, get used to it". I really have no problem whatsoever to adapt, trust me. And there's many wonderful and more efficient ways to do things in Davinci. However, there are a few things missing in the edit page that need to get done in order to attract professional full time editors that handle big projects with big timelines and many sequences. I know that I am not alone with this. Many of my colleagues feel the same way and would like to switch to Davinci but don't, mainly because of the things mentioned below.

So let's get started.

1 - track patching
The way Davinci handles track patching is not good. We need to be able to patch every audio and video track of the source to any audio and video track of the sequence. Premiere and Avid handle this very well.

Example: You have a source with 6 audio tracks but you only need v1 and the lav mic on a6. In my sequence I need the lav mic on a1 and v2 on v3.

The functionality has been discussed already in this thread (and even a few more): viewtopic.php?f=21&t=87084

2 - timeline view of the source monitor
This is a very powerful thing that Avid does. Let's say I've made a sequence with my selects. Could be anything from a multicam clip to a regular sequence. I need to be able to switch the timeline view from the record to the source clip to set ins and outs more precisely by zooming in and viewing the waveform of the source clip. I know that Davinci gives me the option to swap timeline and source viewer but it's very confusing. Avid indicates the switch by changing the color of the playhead. Combined with real track patching that I've mentioned above, this is a very effective and fast way of editing.

This functionality has also been discussed in the above mentioned thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=87084

3 - alignment of track properties/selectors
There's a few buttons in the track panel like the "lock", "track selectors", "enable/disable", "mute" and "solo". The problem is that once you resize one track, these buttons are not aligned anymore. The way Davinci handles this does save some space and it certainly looks nice but it's not practical. It's very hard to read in one gaze and certainly makes it impossible to select/deselect a few buttons in one swipe (pressing shift). And yes, I could just make all tracks the same size but most of the time that's not what you would want or need.

4 - auto track selectors vs. magnets and track targeting
Okay, I think that Davinci was looking to simplify things by combining track selecting and sync locks into one "auto track selector" button. A lot of times this would work nicely but there's also a lot of times where you need them separately. Sometimes it's important to keep a few tracks in sync and have functions like for example "move to next edit" react to one specific track. Currently, this is not possible. It's also not possible to deselect one track in order to detach it from the synced tracks. Even with the "auto track selector" deselected, the other tracks would react to changes in this specific track. The only way is to deactivate the sync of all tracks to prevent Davinci from doing this. While there's a few ways of optimizing this, I like how Avid calls the sync locks "magnets". If one track is not magnetized, the others won't react to it.

5 - snapping
Two things about snapping. First: It would be great to have a function that would snap to the last frame before the edit. Many times that's what you need to set an OUT in the timeline because you don't want to include the first frame after the cut.

Second: Please let us use the modifier keys for snapping. It's easier because you don't have to look down at your keyboard to find these buttons. Obviously, this is just possible if you change the behavior where snapping would only happen while the key is pressed. That's the way it works in Avid and how it worked in FCP7 (not sure about FCPX). Premiere let's you choose between the two and you can snap to last and first frame by pressing shift:

This issue has already been discussed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=139326

6 - cut/copy into source
This would only work in combination with the real track patching mentioned in point 1 above. Avid gives me the option to select something in the timeline and cut/copy it to the source monitor. This is very cool because once it's in the source I can decide via track patching where I would want to put it in my record timeline. I can somehow influence this via the auto track selectors in Davinci but it's very limited.

7 - set time for play around edit in trim mode and show frame changes in active trim

In Avid you can adjust the length of pre- and postroll in trim mode right underneath the monitors. Since this is something you might want to change swiftly - depending on the cut that you are working on - I think it's better to have it there instead of the preference pane. Avid also shows you how many frames you've moved the cut from its original timing. What's also nice is that most NLEs go straight into "play around edit mode" once you are in trim mode and selected a cut.

It's well explained in this video:

Nice to have: Sometimes you need to do very complex bidirectional trims where you select the trim point for each track manually. This happens a lot when doing small changes in very complex sequences. So option-click trim mode would allow you to put the editor back in trim mode and into the selection that was last used. Big time saver!

--

This is it for now. I hope you will be able to review this list thoroughly and think about if or how you want to implement this into Davinci. Maybe there are also different ways of implementing these things than the way I suggested but surely, the edit page needs an overhaul. The cut page is interesting and very handy for a handful of scenarios but also very limited in its own way.

If there's already a way of doing the things I've mentioned, please let me know! Always keen to learn new stuff :)
Last edited by gabe67 on Tue May 17, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5, MacOS Ventura, Macbook Pro M1 Max

Jim Simon

Re: Edit Page Overhaul

PostSat May 14, 2022 3:20 pm

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

gabe67

PostSat May 14, 2022 6:58 pm

Thanks for the advice. But these ideas are all connected in a way. Also - yes people have posted this before. Not sure if you saw the links I included. However, nothing has happened and all these threads are pretty old. So - very sorry for my repost, but it feels like we are getting ignored with our requests.

eikonoklastes

PostSun May 15, 2022 10:05 am

gabe67 wrote:6 - cut/copy into source
This would only work in combination with the real track patching mentioned in point 1 above. Avid gives me the option to select something in the timeline and cut/copy it to the source monitor. This is very cool because once it's in the source I can decide via track patching where I would want to put it in my record timeline. I can somehow influence this via the auto track selectors in Davinci but it's very limited.

Can you elaborate on this? How does it differ from double-clicking on a clip to open it in the Source Viewer?

John Paines

PostSun May 15, 2022 2:24 pm

eikonoklastes wrote:

Can you elaborate on this? How does it differ from double-clicking on a clip to open it in the Source Viewer?

It differs a whole lot:

As OP indicated, this feature works best with Avid-style track patching, a long-standing feature request. 'Edit' is frustrating for a full time editor, because none of this stuff is a secret. No need to reinvent it.

cmactavish

PostMon May 16, 2022 5:03 am

+1 for point 1. Proper track patching would be a life saver.

+1 for point 2 also. In the mean time, I've found the 'Swap Timeline and Source Viewer' shortcut (I assigned it to Tab) gets me part of the way there. It swaps the sequence in the timeline with the sequences you have loaded into the viewer (rather than just showing you the timeline for the viewer) but at this stage, better than nothing. It's not as useful as a could be, again going back to limited track patching.

gabe67

PostMon May 16, 2022 9:10 am

eikonoklastes wrote:

Another difference is that double clicking a clip would only allow you to open this specific clip in the source, not the whole selection.

gabe67

PostMon May 16, 2022 9:16 am

cmactavish wrote:+1 for point 2 also. In the mean time, I've found the 'Swap Timeline and Source Viewer' shortcut (I assigned it to Tab) gets me part of the way there. It swaps the sequence in the timeline with the sequences you have loaded into the viewer (rather than just showing you the timeline for the viewer) but at this stage, better than nothing. It's not as useful as a could be, again going back to limited track patching.

Exactly! It's better than nothing but not very powerful and a bit confusing to swap sides all of the time. Editing this way actually takes no advantage of the source viewer and you are not able to patch tracks from one to another.

John Paines

PostMon May 16, 2022 1:42 pm

gabe67 wrote:There's actually no way to loop-play around the edit in trim mode in Davinci. Even better is being able to adjust the time that loop play would start before the edit and continue after as it differs a lot on the pace of the edit how much pre- and postroll you would want.

Loop play around *does* work in Trim mode. What exactly is failing to happen or under what conditions does it fail to do so?

Pre and post roll times for play around are configurable in the Edit tab of user preferences.

gabe67

PostTue May 17, 2022 7:10 am

John Paines wrote:
gabe67 wrote:There's actually no way to loop-play around the edit in trim mode in Davinci. Even better is being able to adjust the time that loop play would start before the edit and continue after as it differs a lot on the pace of the edit how much pre- and postroll you would want.

Loop play around *does* work in Trim mode. What exactly is failing to happen or under what conditions does it fail to do so?

Pre and post roll times for play around are configurable in the Edit tab of user preferences.

Good to know that you can set that in the preferences! Would be better to have it in the monitors for faster access though. And looping is possible via the button underneath the monitor. So partly resloved. I will change this request in the original posting above!

Tom Early

PostTue May 17, 2022 5:28 pm

gabe67 wrote:
cmactavish wrote:+1 for point 2 also. In the mean time, I've found the 'Swap Timeline and Source Viewer' shortcut (I assigned it to Tab) gets me part of the way there. It swaps the sequence in the timeline with the sequences you have loaded into the viewer (rather than just showing you the timeline for the viewer) but at this stage, better than nothing. It's not as useful as a could be, again going back to limited track patching.

Exactly! It's better than nothing but not very powerful and a bit confusing to swap sides all of the time. Editing this way actually takes no advantage of the source viewer and you are not able to patch tracks from one to another.

While I support the addition of a 'Toggle Source/Record in Timeline' feature, I consider the current behaviour essential for Resolve when it comes to finishing, so I'd certainly hope they wouldn't have it supersede the current behaviour, but like Avid have it as an addition.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

gabe67

PostWed May 18, 2022 8:48 am

Tom Early wrote:While I support the addition of a 'Toggle Source/Record in Timeline' feature, I consider the current behaviour essential for Resolve when it comes to finishing, so I'd certainly hope they wouldn't have it supersede the current behaviour, but like Avid have it as an addition.

Hi Tom, thank you for your support :) I think it's easy to have both as a keyboard shortcut. But I am curious - in what kind of situations do you actually use swap record and source?

Tom Early

PostWed May 18, 2022 11:49 am

gabe67 wrote:in what kind of situations do you actually use swap record and source?

when comparing a final source to a temp reference, so I can find a matching frame for pasting. You can either use an external monitor/clean feed, or thanks to Resolve's single monitor view feature, you can just use that.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

gabe67

PostThu May 19, 2022 7:26 am

Tom Early wrote:when comparing a final source to a temp reference, so I can find a matching frame for pasting. You can either use an external monitor/clean feed, or thanks to Resolve's single monitor view feature, you can just use that.

If I get you right, swap makes sense if you are working in single monitor mode. So less for editing purposes, more for finishing/mastering.

dereklieu

PostMon Jul 11, 2022 4:20 pm

Just adding a +1 to Sync locks, because as someone who's considering using a mix of Premiere and Resolve, this is a huge fundamental difference that is really tripping me up on Resolve.

dedpnda

PostTue Jul 12, 2022 8:02 pm

eikonoklastes wrote:

What is the point of bringing it to the source monitor to just to bring it back to the timeline?
wouldent you just trim in timeline then if need move to another track with {option up or down arrow}?

The only time i send something from the timeline to source monitor is if I am looking at what else is avaialable in that clip but i want to quickly skim a long clip.
Morgan Mendieta

gabe67

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 4:40 pm

dedpnda wrote:
eikonoklastes wrote:What is the point of bringing it to the source monitor to just to bring it back to the timeline?
wouldent you just trim in timeline then if need move to another track with {option up or down arrow}?

The only time i send something from the timeline to source monitor is if I am looking at what else is avaialable in that clip but i want to quickly skim a long clip.

Did you watch the video on how this feature works? True, the way this guy uses the feature does not make sense in Davinci because of the DR feature you mentioned. However, the feature also lets you select multiple clips and audio at once and combined with track patching let’s you decide where to put it. In that regard it’s much more powerful than copy/paste.

Option up/down will always delete stuff on its way up and down the tracks. Pretty destructive, don’t you think? And maybe you are looking to paste that stuff somewhere else, anyway. Maybe even in another sequence. Or maybe it’s a lower third or graphic overlay consisting of a few clips on multiple tracks. It‘s very versatile and like I said, you have full control over what to put where. Sure, you have the track selectors with copy/paste but it‘s not the same. Especially when it‘s more than one track you are copying. Also, the arrangement of tracks might be different in the sequence you are splicing into, so maybe you want to swap two tracks before making the edit.
Last edited by gabe67 on Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Matt White

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 2:14 pm

We spend most of our time in the Edit page and are eager for any improvements.

Rick van den Berg

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 11:54 am

yeah +1 for more in depth editing tools in general.

gabe67

PostSun Dec 11, 2022 10:02 am

dereklieu wrote:Just adding a +1 to Sync locks, because as someone who's considering using a mix of Premiere and Resolve, this is a huge fundamental difference that is really tripping me up on Resolve.

Not only Premiere. Everyone else seems to do it the other way.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests