Curves granular point control

• Author

capthook

Curves granular point control

PostThu May 19, 2022 6:21 am

Darktable has the best interface for adjusting points on curves I've seen.
Easy to make precise adjustments.
Left click to place, scroll wheel for up/down medium adjustments, cntrl+scroll for fine adjustments.
It also shows the grid location as well as the value of the adjust from the point +/-

curves.jpg
curves.jpg (108.35 KiB) Viewed 352 times

Editing/placing/adjusting points in DR is somewhat imprecise and could be improved with this type of interface IMO.

Thanks!
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Nvidia Studio 537.42 | Mavic 2P | GH6 | Ronin SC
i9 13900K | 64GB 5600MHz DDR5 RAM | RTX4080 16GB | (4) 990Pro 2tb m.2 | Windows 11

Sven H

Re: Curves granular point control

PostSun May 22, 2022 5:20 am

capthook wrote:Darktable has the best interface for adjusting points on curves I've seen.
Easy to make precise adjustments.
Left click to place, scroll wheel for up/down medium adjustments, cntrl+scroll for fine adjustments.
It also shows the grid location as well as the value of the adjust from the point +/-

curves.jpg

Editing/placing/adjusting points in DR is somewhat imprecise and could be improved with this type of interface IMO.

Thanks!

One way to get more fine control over the curves is by expanding the window to a floating resizable window. But you can easily tell the curves are designed to work with the panel. But they need an entire overhaul in my oppinion. Most people I know rarely use them, since they are just way to unintuitive and buggy to work with.

For the hue vs curves you can at least set a point and move it around with the x and y numbers on the bottom. while holding [ALT] you have finer control. But this does not exist for custom YRGB curves.

capthook

Re: Curves granular point control

PostSun May 22, 2022 7:45 pm

Excellent points/tips.
The enlarged floating panel is much easier to use.
The Curves - Custom panel is especially difficult, especially for small corrections.
I find I often additionally reach for the Key Output to adjust.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Nvidia Studio 537.42 | Mavic 2P | GH6 | Ronin SC
i9 13900K | 64GB 5600MHz DDR5 RAM | RTX4080 16GB | (4) 990Pro 2tb m.2 | Windows 11

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests