Audio Sync Audio

• Author

Tomasz Czech

Audio Sync Audio

PostMon May 23, 2022 8:26 pm

Hi,
Please, add capable of synchronising multiple audio clips to the one video clip!

This is absolutely fundamental option for every one-camera and multiple microphones projects, such as series, documentary and feature films. I thought our mission was to bring DaVinci Resolve to the podium of the best editing softwares. In 2021, we had a "Move to Resolve" Tour, where we want to show how much Resolve has developed its editing tools! Unfortunately, I can't imagine anyone switching from Avid to Resolve without being able to synchronize the microphones with the video clips before starting editing. So, once again - add this capability as soon as possible, please please please :)

Joe Shapiro

Re: AUTO SYNC AUDIO

PostMon May 23, 2022 10:00 pm

+1 for this.

And on this topic, it's not unusual to have a continuous sound clip with several video clips syncing to it at different points throughout the clip. As far as I can tell Resolve can't autosync this. I will post a separate report to this effect and link it here as well.

Here's the related but separate report: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=161031
Last edited by Joe Shapiro on Tue May 24, 2022 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

bilalahmedec

PostMon May 23, 2022 11:50 pm

Tomasz Czech wrote:Hi,
Please, add capable of synchronising multiple audio clips to the one video clip!

This is absolutely fundamental option for every one-camera and multiple microphones projects, such as series, documentary and feature films. I thought our mission was to bring DaVinci Resolve to the podium of the best editing softwares. In 2021, we had a "Move to Resolve" Tour, where we want to show how much Resolve has developed its editing tools! Unfortunately, I can't imagine anyone switching from Avid to Resolve without being able to synchronize the microphones with the video clips before starting editing. So, once again - add this capability as soon as possible, please please please :)

+1

I hope you pay more attention to editing
And listening to a lot of suggestions is very useful for work
please

Constantin Gross

PostTue May 24, 2022 5:51 pm

you can do that with auto sync by timecode if all the clips have the same timecode...

Tomasz Czech

PostTue May 24, 2022 10:21 pm

Constantin Gross wrote:you can do that with auto sync by timecode if all the clips have the same timecode...

I know, but after using this option, the audio channels are completely messy and a lot of errors. This is the problem!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 25, 2022 2:53 am

Tomasz Czech wrote:
Constantin Gross wrote:you can do that with auto sync by timecode if all the clips have the same timecode...

I know, but after using this option, the audio channels are completely messy and a lot of errors. This is the problem!

We have a lot of users for years using the sync by waveform or by timecode.. so it would be helpful to describe specifics as what you report provides nothing to look at.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Tony Greenwood

Re: Audio Sync Audio

PostWed May 25, 2022 7:26 am

Hi all,

We have been looking at this problem for a while now, as we continue to try to move over to Resolve for all our Post work. The problem we have is that when the edit is locked, this will usually arrive as an AAF, as it's very likely that it was cut on a Media Composer, and the editor will probably have used the guide mix from the Production Sound Recordist to edit with.

We will have the wav files from the Recordist that will be multi channel, this will have the the iso feeds of all the Radios and various booms etc. We need to conform these files to match the edit and then have the ability to easily select or expand them to individual tracks to be used in the mix. From what we have seen so far Resolve struggles to sync audio to audio if there is no video involved and it can't do the whole timeline. To sync each clip individually would take forever.

I recently sent an AAF and files to your UK tech support so they could see the problem.

Tony

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 25, 2022 7:31 am

Hi Tony, please PM the details to me.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Tomasz Czech

PostThu May 26, 2022 6:19 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Tomasz Czech wrote:

We have a lot of users for years using the sync by waveform or by timecode.. so it would be helpful to describe specifics as what you report provides nothing to look at.

As I wrote in my first message - the problem is with synchronising multiple audio clips to the one video clip using Auto Sync Audio Based on Timecode or Auto Sync Audio Based on Timecode and Append Tracks options.

I've already written with Blackmagic Support detailing the problem and I've got a clear answer: "The auto sync tool is only capable of synchronising one video clip to one audio clip, not multiple audio clips to the same video clip."

This is a problem, a BIG problem!

So I created this post to leave an information here that there are users who editing more serious things than one-mic projects and would like to move from Avid to Resolve, but have no way to work, because Resolve cannot link multi-microphone material in the Media Pool properly.

Here is a simple example what I'm talking about: https://we.tl/t-x7S06E63mS

Jeremy

PostThu May 26, 2022 6:43 pm

I think there might be a communication breakdown occurring. If your manually sync audio by in point on the media page then you are correct you can only sync one video clip with one audio clip unless its a poly wav. which is multiple tracks in one audio file. I do see this as a limitation and wish was changed.
Now if your using the right click menu: right click > auto sync this method will sync multiple audio clips to one video.
There is also a setting that will limit auto sync to the first match. Preference>User>Editing: :"limit media pool audio sync to first timecode match".
Windows 10 Pro 21H1 | AMD 5950x, 64GB's Ram | 1080 Ti |Mini Monitor 4K | Avid Artist Color | Scarlet 18i20 | DR Studio 18.01

Tony Greenwood

PostThu May 26, 2022 7:05 pm

Jeremy you are correct but what happens when there is no video that matches the audio. It is unlikely that the prog will have been cut in Resolve and will have come in as an AAF, probably from MediaComposer. In most dramas the editor may pick parts of the performance from different takes and cover these with cutaways, reverse shots etc. You need to be able to sync multi channel files with guide audio and you can't do this. You then need to be able to split them out easily so that the Dialogue editor can pick what they need.

Tony Greenwood

PostThu May 26, 2022 7:06 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Hi Tony, please PM the details to me.
Peter, I will DM you on Monday when I am back in the office.

Jeremy

PostThu May 26, 2022 7:43 pm

Tony Greenwood wrote:Jeremy you are correct but what happens when there is no video that matches the audio. It is unlikely that the prog will have been cut in Resolve and will have come in as an AAF, probably from MediaComposer. In most dramas the editor may pick parts of the performance from different takes and cover these with cutaways, reverse shots etc. You need to be able to sync multi channel files with guide audio and you can't do this. You then need to be able to split them out easily so that the Dialogue editor can pick what they need.

Tony what you discussing is a completely different than the OP from Tomasz. Syncing audio to video before editing is entirely different than relinking to different audio from an aaf. You should really start your own post so your not hijacking the post.
Windows 10 Pro 21H1 | AMD 5950x, 64GB's Ram | 1080 Ti |Mini Monitor 4K | Avid Artist Color | Scarlet 18i20 | DR Studio 18.01

Tomasz Czech

PostThu May 26, 2022 8:50 pm

News from last second!!!

It works properly in Resolve 18, Beta 3!

BIG HUGE THANKS for Chris Roberts - The Best Blackmagic Master Trainer for testing and finding a solution and BIG HUGE HUG for Kathryn de Vries - our beloved Certified Training Program Manager for help, commitment to this topic and contact us together.

And of course I also thank the developers for the great support as always and continuous development of this thanks to you great software!!

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests