Waveform Monitor Scales

• Author

tvBilly

Waveform Monitor Scales

PostSat Jun 18, 2022 4:45 am

Been meaning to ask this for years but I keep forgetting. The waveform monitor parade and waveform scales, when set to percent or mV use eight major divisions of 12.5%. Having each major step be 12.5% makes checking the video level a calculation instead of a glance. I've been using waveform monitors for 50 years (really) and not one of them has ever used eight 12.5% major divisions, they all use ten 10% major divisions.

So I'm asking PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider changing the major divisions from 8 major divisions to 10 major divisions. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Thanks

Billy

Jim Simon

Re: Waveform Monitor Scales

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 1:56 pm

I would LOVE this as well.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 2:25 am

I have to say, one of the things that leads us to use Nobe Omniscope is the flexibility in scope customization. I think the default waveform setup is for a display from 0 to 100:

On the other hand... Nobe Omniscope costs more than Resolve Studio itself, plus you have to invest in a separate computer, display, and capture card (assuming you use it in standalone mode).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

rNeil H

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 2:44 am

But oh my, is Omniscope awesome ...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

tvBilly

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 3:08 am

Marc Wielage wrote:On the other hand... Nobe Omniscope costs more than Resolve Studio itself, plus you have to invest in a separate computer, display, and capture card (assuming you use it in standalone mode).

I already have a nice Leader stand-alone WFM/Vect/etc, but I want this built into Resolve Studio (and I do have a hard time justifiying $400 and a yearly update for 10% scale divisions rather than 12.5% divisions). That said I just took a look at the Nobe OmniScope web site, and it does look nice.

Maybe this is also the place to ask for either fully variable gain in the Resolve Vectorscope, or at least what we all call "I/Q Gain" which is about 2.8x or 3.8x (I forget which). This puts the I & Q vectors in SMPTE color bars (if you have them turned on) at the edge of the Vectorscope scale, which puts the face vector in a nice place to match when you're matching a bunch of live cameras. Most stand alone scopes have this vectorscope gain setting, or something equivalent.

I'll settle for 10% major scale divisions in the Resolve WFM. 8-)

PauliJ

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 3:21 pm

...and the same time when you add the 10% scales it would be really helpful to have the waveforms scale to the correct nits value when you are mastering your HDR footage for PQ. In HLG waveforms top at 1000nits but in PQ it goes all the way to 10 000nits no matter if you choose to master for 1000nits and your footage clips at that point.
Now there is 25% empty space at the top of your scopes that could be utilised to spread the information for more accurate analysing.
This could be done automatically when selecting preferred mastering nits at color management settings or have it as option on scopes visual settings.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 4:11 pm

Yes, these sort of things are so "obvious", but somehow not for developers.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 3:20 am

tvBilly wrote:I already have a nice Leader stand-alone WFM/Vect/etc, but I want this built into Resolve Studio (and I do have a hard time justifiying $400 and a yearly update for 10% scale divisions rather than 12.5% divisions). That said I just took a look at the Nobe OmniScope web site, and it does look nice.

I agree. But (strictly my opinion): I think BMD only has so many resources, and they're tied up into doing other things. Going back and improving the scopes might be beyond what they can do at the moment.

Some years ago, I once had a conversation with the Blackmagic product manager in charge of UltraScopes. I told him, "hey, love the idea, but what we really need is a lower cost rasterizer similar to what Leader, Tektronix, and Videotek all offer as hardware." I explained that those were designed for pro broadcast applications and had the ability to zoom in, set different scales, move around the waveform panels and so on. He seemed indifferent to the suggestion, even when I suggested that they could double the retail price of UltraScope and still be far less than the $10,000-$15,000 cost of the Tektronix scopes. I think UltraScopes are barely in the Blackmagic product line today; they never changed, as far as I know.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 4:12 pm

We got it! :D

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

tvBilly

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 6:26 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I agree. But (strictly my opinion): I think BMD only has so many resources, and they're tied up into doing other things. Going back and improving the scopes might be beyond what they can do at the moment.

I understand. I would be happy if they added 10% divisions the next time they update the scopes section. (and 2.85x vectrorscope gain, aka IQ Gain).

Billy

Jim Simon

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 9:40 pm

They did, Billy. In 18.1. :)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

tvBilly

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 10:27 pm

OMG! :o

Downloading now. :) :D :mrgreen:

• Improved HDR, division and percentage labeling on video level scopes.

Thank You BMD, for also paying attention to the little stuff.

And my Speed Editor does more in the Edit page! 8-)

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests