DaVinci Resolve for iPadOS

• Author

Bengat7

DaVinci Resolve for iPadOS

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 1:21 am

Could you please make DaVinci Resolve available on iPadOS? It would be really useful to have Resolve on a device as portable as the iPad, and I think a lot of other people would enjoy having that option as well.

Marc Wielage

Re: DaVinci Resolve for iPadOS

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 3:23 am

Bengat7 wrote:Could you please make DaVinci Resolve available on iPadOS? It would be really useful to have Resolve on a device as portable as the iPad, and I think a lot of other people would enjoy having that option as well.

Note that there's also no Premiere for iPad, no After Effects for iPad, and even no Final Cut Pro X for iPad. There's a lot of reasons why it would be difficult to put a program like Resolve on a tablet, and even more reasons why it's a bad idea. There are some basic editing programs out there that will work on iPad: Lumafusion and Rush are two I can think of. But they're very, very, very limited.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

AndrewKeil

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 10:46 am

This has been discussed before in the link below, still not sure what the big deal is.

Yes the full Resolve interface wouldn't work on an iPad screen, but a stripped down, cut page only version? Don't see why not.

I can see the use cases for a "Resolve lite" on iPadOS if it was used in conjunction with Blackmagic Cloud and could export a Resolve project file.

Probably iPad Pro only and sure it wouldn't be able to handle more than proxies, but then it wouldn't have to. Keyboard and mouse support is there, as is dual display and external storage and they run on the same Apple Silicon as the macOS line.

There are a lot of content creators out there that have no use for the more advanced features and plenty more who don't need them all the time. Had we always taken this attitude we'd still be cutting tape to tape.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=160277

jallen0

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:10 am

Because it's on the iPad there would have to be revenue sharing with Apple. Resolve is already a low price, the iPad version would have to be much cheaper. And part of that would have to go to Apple.

Are you willing to pay $100.00 or more for a cut page only stripped down editing tool with no other modules on the iPad? Especially when there are other options out there like Marc listed above? Yeah, I am not either.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

AndrewKeil

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 pm

First off, settle down.

Secondly, the free and paid versions of Resolve have been on the Mac App Store for years, why would an iPadOS version be any different?

Mark Foster

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 5:31 pm

AndrewKeil wrote:First off, settle down.

Secondly, the free and paid versions of Resolve have been on the Mac App Store for years, why would an iPadOS version be any different?

especially since the apple store versions also differ significantly from the ones downloadable here.
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

AndrewKeil

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 8:32 pm

That's not the point I was making, I don't use the App Store version either.

Merely pointing out that BM have been using the App Store for distribution for years. So the same revenue split on any hypothetical Resolve for iPad wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

roger.magnusson

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 8:51 pm

What would be the gain over using it on a laptop? An iPad Pro has the same footprint as a laptop.

jallen0

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:12 pm

AndrewKeil wrote: Merely pointing out that BM have been using the App Store for distribution for years. So the same revenue split on any hypothetical Resolve for iPad wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

That's not true. You are asking BM to fully fund Resolve on a brand new operating system and programming language. That cost money. Then you add in the return on that investment is low because a) iPad apps usually command a lower price, and b) Apple tales a portion of that and c) there are no other options...you cannot sell an iPad app on your own webpage.

Honestly I don't see the ROI on them creating an iPad app because of the above reasons.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

AndrewKeil

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:56 pm

I'm not asking BM to fully fund Resolve on a new OS, I'm saying that a stripped down version could work on iPadOS. Whatever price that is worth to them is another matter. Considering what BM gives away for free with DVR they clearly view their software as a loss leader to help sell their hardware.

Lumafusion and Premiere Rush exist so it can be done. Cloud based workflows are here to stay so there's no reason why an iPad DVR couldn't be a part of that. iPadOS 16 will introduce reference modes for the iPad Pro display, so clearly they want to improve it as a tool for video.

If someone could plug their iPad into a 5k display and use a mouse and keyboard with it, wouldn't that be more than enough for basic editing?

Also, think 2-3 years ahead when Blackmagic Cloud is out of beta and iPad specs continue to improve. A few years ago people would've scoffed at cutting 5k RED on a laptop, but my MacBook now allows me to work with it without dropping a single frame and the fans don't even spin up. It's using the same chip architecture as an iPad so what's the problem?

AndrewKeil

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 10:07 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:What would be the gain over using it on a laptop? An iPad Pro has the same footprint as a laptop.

Power windows, curves or colour wheels could work well with touch/pencil controls, and yes while an iPad Pro is small laptop sized, they're still smaller than what most people would use Resolve on.

It's another platform and with that comes more possibilities to innovate and more people being introduced to the BM ecosystem.

Thinking especially of students and smaller scale content creators, Lumafusion gets great reviews and while I doubt I would use an iPadOS version of DVR that much, I can see why it could be useful for others.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 1:12 am

roger.magnusson wrote:What would be the gain over using it on a laptop? An iPad Pro has the same footprint as a laptop.

I agree completely. As it is, Resolve requires a really beefy, powerful laptop to work well. The limited resources of an iPad are not going to be enough.

Again, if there's no version of Adobe Premiere, and no version of Apple FCPX for iPad, I think you can pretty much conclude it either can't be done or can't be done easily. There could be a really stripped-down version of Resolve just for cutting together pieces of material, but if you're going to do that, you may as well just use Rush or Lumafusion, which already exist. Doing color and audio and editing and Fusion FX... that would be a nightmare on a tablet. As it is, it's a challenge on a laptop (though it can be done to a point).

AndrewKeil

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 2:42 pm

As it is, Resolve requires a really beefy, powerful laptop to work well. The limited resources of an iPad are not going to be enough.

You're arguing against a point I'm not making. I said that there's no way it would work well with anything other than proxies and that it would have to be a very, very lite version.

you may as well just use Rush or Lumafusion, which already exist.

Sure you can export an XML from Lumafusion, but is that really as streamlined and as user friendly as collaborating over an out of beta Blackmagic Cloud with Resolve project files could be?

Say an assistant logs cloud stored footage and creates a rough assembly on their iPad before sending on to an editor or colourist, would that work now? No. Will it work in 2 years? I think it's more than technically possible.

In time workflows being offered via Dropbox in collaboration with BM and similar from Frame.io could mean there'd be no need for drives and local footage for basic offline editing. Will that fly for every production? Absolutely not, but it will for some and I don't see any reason why BM shouldn't innovate in that space especially given their cloud ambitions.

There's a common thread on this board where members, with the best of intentions, tend to dismiss use cases or workflows outside of their own. You need panels, you need a desktop etc. Of course there are proven practices that must be respected but I don't know, all seems conservative and limiting to me.

Still, right now the iPad Pro is a nice screen to put your scopes on or to use for a clean feed, so it's useful already :)

Andy Mees

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 4:21 pm

As far as the OP's apparent request for a fully functional "Resolve" app for iPadOS then I'm 100% with Marc... but if I'm reading it right, the conversation appears to have pivoted to an arguably completely different request for a tablet friendly "Resolve Assistant" companion app, that could work with Blackmagic Cloud for logging proxies, basic editing etc ... which seems like it could be completely doable, and provide BMD an added revenue stream (as I assume they'd sell it). Its not the worst idea. ;)

AndrewKeil

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 7:42 pm

The OP was a little vague on just how fully featured they wanted it, I doubt they would expect all features as that really is beyond iPadOS for a long time to come.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:11 pm

Andy Mees wrote:As far as the OP's apparent request for a fully functional "Resolve" app for iPadOS then I'm 100% with Marc... but if I'm reading it right, the conversation appears to have pivoted to an arguably completely different request for a tablet friendly "Resolve Assistant" companion app, that could work with Blackmagic Cloud for logging proxies, basic editing etc ... which seems like it could be completely doable, and provide BMD an added revenue stream (as I assume they'd sell it). Its not the worst idea. ;)

That would be fine. A very small "assistant" version of Resolve would be fine, like for logging or conforming. You see what I mean that a full version of Resolve is impossible... and I think a full version of Premiere or FCPX or Avid would also be extremely difficult to engineer. The small 12" screen would be a huge problem to overcome (just to name one issue).

matttt.p

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 8:08 am

A simple "cut" page could be useful to derush and make a fist rough cut on location. There is Premiere Rush so why not Davinci Cut ? ;)

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 3:00 am

matttt.p wrote:A simple "cut" page could be useful to derush and make a fist rough cut on location. There is Premiere Rush so why not Davinci Cut ? ;)

I just found out that Apple offers iMovie (but not Final Cut Pro X) for the iPad and iPhone:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/imovie/id377298193

The trick is trying to get an edit list out of iMovie and into another application, like Resolve or Premiere. You're on your own there.

AndrewKeil

ricardo marty

PostWed Oct 19, 2022 9:47 pm

Take a look resolve on the iPad. just the cut [age and color page

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Marc Wielage

PostThu Oct 20, 2022 1:30 am

ricardo marty wrote:Take a look resolve on the iPad. just the cut [age and color page...

The announcer mentions "visual effects" as well, so one can assume that Fusion is part of this.

My observation is the iPad running Resolve in the Apple demo is probably the iPad Pro with 2TB of RAM plus the keyboard... which is about $3000. Somebody explain to me how this is different than running Resolve on a $3000 MacBook laptop.

I think people are getting excited about the announcement just because of the outrageousness of it all. As I said elsewhere: you could probably drive a car with an iPad, too, using software designed to emulate a steering wheel, changing gears, accelerating and stopping... but would you want to? Is it practical in the real world?

I have no problem with somebody who wants to build a select reel or review dailies on an iPad. I just get very sad when I think about deluded high school and college kids thinking they can buy a stock iPad and start color-correcting and finishing their YouTube videos and shorts.

Tero Ahlfors

PostThu Oct 20, 2022 5:38 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Somebody explain to me how this is different than running Resolve on a $3000 MacBook laptop.

Well, you could run the full featured version on an M2 Macbook.

AndrewKeil

PostThu Oct 20, 2022 11:01 am

I have no problem with somebody who wants to build a select reel or review dailies on an iPad. I just get very sad when I think about deluded high school and college kids thinking they can buy a stock iPad and start color-correcting and finishing their YouTube videos and shorts.

You're doing it again, you're taking your own very high standards and applying them to literally every other video production use case, including school and college kids.

Resolve for iPad at first glance looks like the cut and color pages, with the color page probably being stripped down to basics, would certainly make sense for version 1.0.

I've discussed this exact possibility right down to what pages would be included a few times on this board, and every time have been met with a wave of disapproval by traditionalists who insist you wouldn't be able to do "real" work on it.

iPad Pro's have the same chip architecture as Mac's, they have great displays, the battery life is excellent, this was always going to happen, I'm glad there's another option.

An iPad has a different use case to a MacBook, what with it being a touch screen with a stylus for one. Implemented properly touch controls for Resolve could work very well, as could the use of the pencil.

High school and college kids are going to make YouTube videos and shorts with it, and if they're good they're good, that's all that matters.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Oct 20, 2022 11:36 am

In the social media announcement they worded it this way: "the full color and cut pages are provided". Things are obviously shuffled around a bit, but a lot of the feature set seems to be there.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests