Jump backwards from cut to cut while playhead is running

• Author

Hardy-

Jump backwards from cut to cut while playhead is running

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 10:35 am

Hello, I don't know if this has been requested before (I couldn't find anything related).

On the Edit page (version 17), while the playhead is running forward on the timeline, we can hit the Arrow-Down key to jump to the next cut. We can nicely jump forward from cut to cut while the playhead is running.

Unfortunately, when the playhead is running forward, such multiple jumps don't work backwards with the Arrow-Up key which puts the playhead to the nearest cut to the left. Only a single jump is possible. This is technically plausible as the playhead is permantly running away from the nearest cut to the left.

But it would be nice if a double hit* on the Arrow-Up key would put the playhead to the left-ensuing cut to the left, so that we can jump backwards from cut to cut while the playhead is running forward. This is possible in FinalCut. In Resolve this is only possible when the playhead isn't running.

* E.g. two hits on the Arrow-Up key in less than half a second.

Thank you, BM people, for this great software!

Jim Simon

Re: Jump backwards from cut to cut while playhead is running

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 2:19 pm

I think the playhead should stop playing when you move it manually. I put it where I want it. It should stay there until I hit Play again.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hardy-

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 9:23 pm

When you are manually moving the playhead with the jogwheel or with the arrow-left/right keys, then yes, the playhead won't be running, and that's fine for edit actions.

However, for quick search actions, when you use the arrow-up/down keys to jump to the previous or next cut, Resolve won't stop the running playhead, and that's fine for search actions or repeat actions.

But I don't see any advantage of Resolve allowing multiple "running jumps" just forward but not backwards. For backward jumps it always requires an extra Stop command and an extra Restart command. Not ergonomic.

It works nicely in FinalCut: When an ArrowUp hit occurs within circa 300 ms after the last ArrowUp hit, FinalCut jumps further backwards, thus allowing me to jump from cut to cut while the playhead keeps running. No need to hit the spacebar before and after the jumps each time. It's so much easier.

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 2:10 pm

Well said. Thanks for explaining so well the reason for your request!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests