Camera Shake Deblur Feature

• Author

XenonBL

Camera Shake Deblur Feature

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 11:19 pm

I do a lot of handheld doc work with my 4k and 6k Pro cameras, without a gimbal, and sometimes with lenses that don't have any built in stabilization. During the edit I use the stabilization tools in Resolve liberally and often. Sometimes they work flawlessly, saving shots that were otherwise unusable. Sometimes they can't save a shot because of the extra blur that occurs when using a slow shutter speed combined with a footstep or camera shake. Then there's a 1 or 2 frame long blurry mess wrecking an otherwise stabilized shot. Nothing that can be done about that, right?

Except, when I recently experimented with an FX feature in Adobe AE (shudder) called "Camera Shake Deblur" on those same, un-fixable shots, and low! Like magic, shaky footage with random blurry frames becomes stable footage with no blurry frames. But I have to use a combination of tools in Resolve and AE to get there.

But it's a pain to export problem shots from DaVinci, pump them through AE and that wonky interface, and import them back into my Resolve timeline. I'd like to get away from Adobe products completely. I'd prefer to stay within Resolve, for time and convenience.

I humbly request a similar FX tool within Resolve that specifically removes blurred frames from stabilized footage. I don't know what AE is doing, but I can't replicate it with any combination of tools already in Resolve. I suspect it's some A.I. voodoo that looks at surrounding, unblurry frames and reconstructs new, De-blurred frames. It's definitely not doing anything like contrast sharpening. It might be like temporal noise reduction in Resolve, except instead of removing noise it's removing blur. The Deblurred frames really look as good as the surrounding frames, recovering lost details.

With the new gyro stabilization feature in the BM cameras and Resolve I suspect this could be a valuable and, dare I say, necessary feature. The current requirement of using a fast shutter to avoid footstep blur isn't always practical and often doesn't look very good.

Thanks for listening, BM!
Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core, 128GB RAM, EVGA FTW Ultra RTX 3090 24 GB

Hardy-

Re: Camera Shake Deblur Feature

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 11:37 pm

Such an automatic, temporary deblur function would even be useful for stable footage whose only problem are unstable autofocus moments.

Andy Mees

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 10:54 am

Try Effects > OpenFX > Resolve FX Revival > Frame Replacer

Jim Simon

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 2:17 pm

XenonBL wrote:Nothing that can be done about that, right?
I would solve this in production, not in post.

1. OIS lenses.
2. Gimbal
3. 180° shutter.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 2:38 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I would solve this in production, not in post.
As editors, we don't necessarily have that choice tho Jim, hence the request is valid (even if the OP is holding his own camera! :))

XenonBL

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 8:01 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Try Effects > OpenFX > Resolve FX Revival > Frame Replacer

Oh, man, this looks like it might be the answer, I will try it today and update here if this solves my problem. So many hidden in plain sight features in DaVinci. Thanks for the pointer, Andy!
Jim Simon wrote:
XenonBL wrote:Nothing that can be done about that, right?
I would solve this in production, not in post.
1. OIS lenses.
2. Gimbal
3. 180° shutter.

True, best to solve it during production if possible. Unfortunately, due to my low-intrusive, intimate doc shooting style I don't/can't shoot with a gimbal. OIS lenses make my shooting style possible but don't always solve the problem depending on the level of camera shake. 180° shutter seems to make the problem worse as Resolve-stabilized shots get extra blurry frames when the camera bounces. I saw in another thread BM recommends using a smaller shutter angle to reduce this specific problem when shooting with the new gyro stabilized features. But then you get the stop-motion-like staccato motion effect, which is usually not a desired look. But point taken :)

XenonBL

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 1:07 am

I tried a couple tests using both DaVinci's Frame Replacer and AE's Camerashake Deblur on the same shot.

Results were inferior with Frame Replacer, unfortunately. It worked okay, sometimes, but results were still somewhat blurry. More troubling is that sometimes it didn't seem to do anything, and other times it would add really strange warpy artifacts on seemingly random parts of the frame or even across other frames. The controls are pretty minimal as you can only specify to target specific frames, and sometimes the actual blur runs for several frames. Targeting several blurry frames in a row usually resulted in reduced or no effect. Also feels a bit buggy, as occasionally it would apply a strange freeze-frame warp/smear across the entire shot.

The AE Camerashake Deblur can just be dragged onto an entire shot. You don't have to specify which frames are blurry. There are controls for how many frames blurs last as well as strength and shake sensitivity. And then it just works. Deblurred frames were sharp and looked just like adjacent, non-blurry frames. Since it can be applied and rendered over an entire shot it just takes out most of the blurry frames, and seemingly there's no trade-offs. No artifacts, no bugs.

Oh well. I hope BM can take a look at how to implement something similar in DaVinci as it is pretty useful and magical as a shot saver.

C.T. Bell

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 1:40 am

My solution is to shoot at 1/60th shutter for 24fps. It sharpens it up just enough for stablization and it's still enogh motion blur to look natural.

Learned that trick from a friend and now I can't go back.
Resolve 18.0.4
Ryzen 2700x - 8 core
GTX 1070ti 8gb
64 Gig ram @
1tb WD SN750 NVME SSD
Win 11

Čeněk Štrichel

PostFri Nov 04, 2022 11:56 am

+1 for Camera Shake Deblur. Gyro stabilization has great results. With some shake deblur in postproduction it would be fantastic.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 3:04 pm

I have a +1, even in big productions with the big pieces of iron, occasionally we have to stabilize a shot past the point where the motion blue become obvious.

Combined with that, the impossible plugin "re-focus" to bring shots back from the abiss of out of focus....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Benjamin Kratzin

PostTue May 09, 2023 2:51 pm

+1
Director / DP / VFX Supervisor | www.benjaminkratzin.com | vimeo.com/benjaminkratzin

carlomacchiavello

PostTue May 09, 2023 10:20 pm

Topaz video enhancer had from some beta a model to remove motion blur camera, may be we can ask them to build an ofx ;-)

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests