Windows HDR support

• Author

bitluni

Windows HDR support

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 5:20 pm

Hello,
it would be nice if you could make at least the preview an HDR container.

I'm currently using an HDR display as my main timeline screen. The only way to see the actual result of my color grading is to export and review on the same screen while resolve sits pale in the background.
I'm not a cinematographer nor a professional editor. yet I'd like to use a higher dynamic range for youtube.
I couldn't justify to purchase an extra card for 800 just to be able to do what my main screen does anyways.
I'm aware of all the arguments having calibrated hdr screens etc. but trying to grade for hdr mapped to sdr is even worse.
Windows 10 supports it so why not using it? Please make it a check box deep down the settings if you like. it might even improve the playback performance since you could disable the mapping to sdr.

Thanks

Jim Simon

Re: Windows HDR support

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 6:26 pm

The proper way to monitor color work is via a dedicated I/O feeding a calibrated monitor.

I'm not sure I agree that BMD should dumb down the software for non-professionals. Adobe did that, and it was a problem.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 7:44 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'm not sure I agree that BMD should dumb down the software for non-professionals. Adobe did that, and it was a problem.

If it's "dumbing it down" then they have already done so. It's a bit strange that it works on macOS only (Project Settings > Color Management > Display HDR on viewers if available).

Anyway, the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K is $195 and gives peace of mind that the OS or GPU drivers won't do anything unexpected to the image.

Mark Grgurev

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 11:14 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'm not sure I agree that BMD should dumb down the software for non-professionals. Adobe did that, and it was a problem.

This doesn't dumb down the software in any way.

insanerob

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 3:53 pm

[quote="Jim Simon"]The proper way to monitor color work is via a dedicated I/O feeding a calibrated monitor. ... I'm not sure I agree that BMD should dumb down the software for non-professionals.

Yet still, in Resolve, many users use calibrated monitors instead of reference monitors and dedicated I/O, in fact Resolve even supports using displayCal to calibrate your monitor within Resolve. Sometimes it seems that the 'Pros' forget that a lot of amateurs and content creators use Resolve too and that their content is not destined for an ACES environment but instead for the devices they already own like 4K TVs and iphones etc. and mastering directly on those devices is actually preferred.

I can't see how adding capabilities to the Windows version that are already there in the Mac version is dumbing anything down.

I really think this is a feature that needs to be added. More and more consumers have HDR capable workflows, 4K HDR cameras and HDR screens on their computers .... the one thing letting them down is Resolve at the moment. The dedicated I/O is an unnecessary piece of hardware on a system that can already display calibrated HDR images (even if they can't hit 1000nits and rec.2020) and watch Netflix movies in HDR. Even worse, for laptop users the extra hardware is not an option unless you have thunderbolt ports and are willing to sacrifice portability and buy and additional thunderbolt 3 external enclosure to put the unnecessary card in.

Please don't take this as a dig at your response, rather just a gentle reminder to people that may read this thread, that many users' setups are HDR capable and cost less than the price of a reference HDR monitor :)

My workflow at the moment is :
Start the project on my Windows PC, import and edit the video (cut move etc.)
Transfer project to Macbook pro (connected to the same HDR monitor as my PC) so I can do the the HDR color grade, pull hair out as it's 20x slower than my pc.
Transfer back to the PC to do all the other stuff including noise reduction transitions, transitions, sound, Fusion.

rOb
Windows 10 - i7 - 16GB- RTX2080 - Wacom Cintiq 27QHD - LG27UK600 4k UHD HDR
MacBookPro 15 - eGPU Razer CoreX: AMD RX 580

Boris Dessimond

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 6:32 pm

+1, I'm waiting for this since ages and I'm disappointed to see it's still not there with Resolve 17.

Eagleshadow

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 3:38 pm

I'm shocked to find out that Resolve doesn't support HDR in Windows, as I just took it for granted that the best color grading and HDR software will be able to show me the HDR preview of the HDR video I'm working on, since I'm using an HDR monitor with an HDR OS. Unreal Engine does this, Affinity Photo does this, web browsers and video player do this, HDR games do this, they all simply show HDR content.

I bought the full version of Resolve mainly so I can make HDR videos for my youtube channel, which is a non-profit channel just as a hobby. I've got one HDR screen that I'm working on and no space for secondary monitors.

I don't care if the image isn't 100% perfectly accurate, I just want to be able to see what I'm working on. Actually working in HDR Windows with correct project settings makes the video look so dark and washed out that it's impossible to work.

Currently the only possible workflow for me is to render out a few second clip and open it with my video player of choice to see how it actually looks like. I found that if I set "Output color space" to Linear, the image in timeline looks somewhat viewable, and I can make some corrections like that, but as soon as I want to render out a clip to see how it actually looks like I need to go back to project settings and return my color space to Rec.2100 ST2084 before rendering the video to a file, which is time consuming.

Please add support for windows HDR, I don't even care how bad the implementation is, let some intern do it if you must, anything would be infinitely better than the current situation.

Benjamin de Menil

PostMon Dec 27, 2021 11:22 am

Has this feature been added? Or still no HDR?

morphinapg

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 11:09 pm

I agree this should be added. This is basically the one thing from my Adobe workflow that is preventing me from trying out Resolve. I have an LG C2 42" OLED screen as my PC monitor, and so I would prefer it to be able to see the image correctly while editing, as I can in Premiere. I don't think this is dumbing down anything, just making use of the display capabilities to their full potential. While obviously for color grading, it would be ideal to have something like a decklink mini monitor 4K output to a calibrated display, but that doesn't mean the editing window needs to look completely wrong for no reason. If the display supports displaying the correct colors, then make use of that!

It doesn't have to be 100% perfect during editing, but even so, from what I can tell, every Windows app that supports HDR is sending the colors accurately. How accurate that appears on the display would simply depend on the capabilities of the display and how well calibrated it is. I use an OLED that has been properly calibrated, so I personally think my display would be good enough to color grade in from within the editor window (although for grading SDR you'd need to manually switch HDR off in Windows for accuracy). I do also have a decklink to output to a nearby 55" screen if I need further confirmation of any grade I work on through my C2, but on my desk is only this one 42" OLED. So if I'm not able to display an HDR image natively while editing, I'm not going to use Resolve. As many issues as Premiere has been having lately, this part it does right.

Add this feature and I will switch to Resolve, because it does everything else I need, and does those things better than Premiere does from what I can tell.

arconz

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 12:29 am

Just found this thread as I'm planning to output some HDR content in the coming months. Its a sick joke if Resolve can't view Windows-based HDR content in-app & BM is not going to comment on its development. Definitely back to Premiere :/

Even with a second calibrated monitor being able to see what you're editing in-app is common sense... this kind of highlights why Adobe can charge Subscription while BM could never get away with it.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 Build 7, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64bit
Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB DDR4-3600, 2x2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD, RTX 3060 12GB

morphinapg

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 2:54 am

arconz wrote:Just found this thread as I'm planning to output some HDR content in the coming months. Its a sick joke if Resolve can't view Windows-based HDR content in-app & BM is not going to comment on its development. Definitely back to Premiere :/

Even with a second calibrated monitor being able to see what you're editing in-app is common sense... this kind of highlights why Adobe can charge Subscription while BM could never get away with it.

With it being available in the Mac version, I think they'll probably add it to windows eventually, but yeah it's unfortunate they haven't done it yet. As soon as they do, I'm ready to switch.

Bruggelink

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 3:58 pm

Disappointed to see it's still not there with Resolve 18. I bought a HDR monitor together with Resolve, and now unable to use it for preview or 'video clean feed', the video clean feed IS HDR, and has to be downconverted to rec709 to be able to see something, but that 'something' is not sufficient to work properly.

Even in Vegas pro (which I just abandoned) there was a HDR preview.

Urgent request. Windows users want the same thing as Apple users.
Windows 11 pro - 64 GB Ram - all storage on SSD - NVidia Geforce RTX 2700 super - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor

nateforlaw

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 4:29 am

It's been over 2 years and still nothing...

This feels hopeless but I need closure. Please Blackmagic Design, please tell us why you will not implement this? Bought a license recently along with an HDR monitor for Youtube content, and I'm beyond disappointed. When Resolve is advertised as, is and I spend $300 plus much more for an HDR monitor; to learn that I simply cannot view my footage, whatsoever, is leaving me with a pretty awful taste in my mouth. And the worst part of it to me is the deafening silence from BMD on this thread, even years after their customers have started begging.

Not only that but I could have bought Vegas Pro, that has this feature, for 50$ less.
I'm speechless.

Alexrocks1253

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 9:17 pm

3 years and counting now…
What will you create today?

Cadfael

PostWed Nov 08, 2023 7:48 am

I'm glad I found this thread before buying the full version, but disappointed I can't keep using Resolve now that I want to work with HDR footage.

Blackmagic, is this feature planned soon? In a day when more and more people have phones that can record in HDR it's not just a niche feature, and it doesn't make sense to expect amateur hobbyists to buy a bunch of extra professional equipment to edit their vacation videos.

Andrew Revvo

PostMon Nov 13, 2023 3:06 pm

Currently Resolve renders image to the screen over OpenGL surface.
Because OpenGL can output 30-bit images, we can also get automatically 10-bit on Windows.

But HDR on Windows cannot get output via OpenGL.
DirectX code and conversion to Rec2020 curve is required.

This feature requires a lot of Resolve code changes with many potential bugs and workarounds.
So, I think the developers will not create HDR in a near future, before Windows HDR OpenGL output in GPU drivers.

:(

Alexrocks1253

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 1:50 am

Andrew Revvo wrote:Currently Resolve renders image to the screen over OpenGL surface.
Because OpenGL can output 30-bit images, we can also get automatically 10-bit on Windows.

But HDR on Windows cannot get output via OpenGL.
DirectX code and conversion to Rec2020 curve is required.

This feature requires a lot of Resolve code changes with many potential bugs and workarounds.
So, I think the developers will not create HDR in a near future, before Windows HDR OpenGL output in GPU drivers.

:(

That's unfortunate. Why not use Vulkan instead? It still has HDR support and seems a lot more similar to OpenGL while not being locked to Windows, allowing the Linux version to get better support at the same time.
What will you create today?

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests