DCTL UI element ordering; grouping; new control types

• Author

KaurHendrikson

DCTL UI element ordering; grouping; new control types

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 7:39 am

While DCTLs are very powerful in terms of what they can do, their UI often gets in the way and becomes the limiting factor. Here are some suggestions:

1. Keep the order of UI elements how they appear in code. Right now they are grouped by type (ex Float Slider, Combo Box).

2. Grouping of UI elements - similar to OFX, where each group has a title and can be collapsed.

3. Tooltips - similar to OFX, if you hover over a control, have a tooltip optionally displayed.

4. Allow to modify UI control values from code (ex dropdown of presets that sets other control's values)

According to the DCTL documentation, this seems to already be a supported feature, but does not seem to work:
Changes to custom UI parameters - via user controls, Undo actions or from DCTL logic - are reflected both in the Resolve UI and in the DCTL variable.

5. Ability to control DCTLs from color panels - I feel this would be a game changer for many colorists, I know it would be for me. Tho that'd be a bigger undertaking allowing remapping of color panel controls.

6. Bring over UI elements from Fusion, here are some that I miss most:
  • Label - custom tools can be confusing at first and adding a short description or tutorial inside the tool could help
  • Range Control
  • Color Picker w/ ability to detect when it's being used for example to visualize what's being selected
  • Float Slider w/ colored slider, which could be made to for example control a color picker channel and vice versa using my last suggestion
  • Multi-button
  • Levels Output Control (preferably with support for a custom gradient on the control to make hue, sat, lum selection easier for example)
  • Point w/ View Control for easy positioning
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Asus GeForce RTX 3090 24GB, DDR4 128GB, Windows 11 Pro

Gedaly Guberek

Re: DCTL UI element ordering; grouping; new control types

PostMon Dec 19, 2022 11:16 pm

+1

Would love to see some of these implemented!

As Resolve gets more popular, increased ability to extend it with more powerful DCTL's would be a big deal for allowing new or better workflows for a lot of people.

shmowells

Re: DCTL UI element ordering; grouping; new control types

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 3:36 pm

You can control DCTL parameters via the Mini Panel

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests