Want less intrusive Live Save

• Author

Joe Shapiro

Want less intrusive Live Save

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 5:51 am

It’s great that we now have the option of Live Save to guard against loss of work. Now that it’s there it would be nice to make it less intrusive so it doesn’t distract, causing people to lose their flow and perhaps turn the feature off.

I’m not sure what constraints the database library might impose, but conceptually the save could be staged in-memory which would be fast enough to not interrupt the UI while preserving atomicity, and then written to the database in the background.

Up to dev to see if they can manage this - but it would certainly make the feature more useful, make Resolve feel more responsive, and reduce the likelihood of people disabling Live Save.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

panos_mts

Re: Want less intrusive Live Save

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 6:23 am

I’m not sure I follow but live save is not interrupting the UI, unless you mean the automatic project backups.

Sven H

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 8:40 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:It’s great that we now have the option of Live Save to guard against loss of work. Now that it’s there it would be nice to make it less intrusive so it doesn’t distract, causing people to lose their flow and perhaps turn the feature off.

I’m not sure what constraints the database library might impose, but conceptually the save could be staged in-memory which would be fast enough to not interrupt the UI while preserving atomicity, and then written to the database in the background.

Up to dev to see if they can manage this - but it would certainly make the feature more useful, make Resolve feel more responsive, and reduce the likelihood of people disabling Live Save.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live save even on my private computer at home does not slow down the system anymore. It did in DR16 but from 17 onwards it became fast enough for uninterupted work.

Andy Mees

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 9:45 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:It’s great that we now have the option of Live Save
Meh. I've had the Live Save option turned on since it was introduced about 5 years ago, Joe... as far as anecdotal evidence goes, I can say it has never caused any issue for me, or at least none that I can recall. I have seen other users posting from time to time that they're experiencing some interruption 'every time I do something' ... and that generally points to 'Live Save' as the culprit, but not because of its design ... it suggests that there's something amiss in their setups, with their installation perhaps, a possible issue with a specific project or a potential database problem. Automatic backups, yes, I'd agree that those can be annoyingly interrupting - a way to handle those as a background process would certainly be appreciated.

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 3:24 pm

Normally, Live Save is entirely unobtrusive. There is never any interruption of work.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roger.magnusson

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 7:43 pm

On a slow network Live Save to a PostgreSQL server used to be pretty bad. In recent versions they have optimized it significantly. Allowing newer PostgreSQL versions that have much better default settings likely helps as well.

Haven't tested Live Save on a disk database but I assume it's basically seamless.

Devonavar

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 10:07 pm

I'm using livesave successfully on a PostGres installation hosted off-site. It works fine and invisibly over a normal internet connection.

There's definitely times when the database connection holds things up (mainly, loading large, complex smart bins), but even that has gotten markedly better since DR 18 / Postgres 13. But I don't notice lag due to livesave, so I would guess that whatever lag you are seeing is probably due to some other cause.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
www.thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Marc Wielage

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 12:46 am

Jim Simon wrote:Normally, Live Save is entirely unobtrusive. There is never any interruption of work.

That's generally my experience as well. Once in a blue moon -- and I mean, once every 3-4 days -- I might be doing something complex and Live Save kicks in, and there's a perceptible delay, like a couple of seconds. And then everything is fine and the system responds again. Happened today with a client, and I turned to him and said, "ah, I was trying to work a little too fast." I can't remember it happening for a week, so it's fine with me.

I think auto-backup (where it's doing an actual incremental backup) does take a little more time, but that's not a feature I use very often. I usually do manual backups at the end of the session, and that generally works for me.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests