UI: Silky Smooth Fusion Connections and Node Designs

• Author

geeteshsaini

UI: Silky Smooth Fusion Connections and Node Designs

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 12:53 pm

Fusion will be much eye-pleasing, smooth, easy to use, improved.
If fusion applies design concept of Houdini's Node Graph to itself.
Overview is shown here comparing some features...
image-explaining-a-better-design-comp.jpg
This is how it can be Improved
image-explaining-a-better-design-comp.jpg (987.02 KiB) Viewed 2046 times

A Better Close-Up View of Houdini Nodes:
To show how you can give any node a color, name & shape.
nodegraphbasics.jpg
You can add comments in a node too
nodegraphbasics.jpg (219.66 KiB) Viewed 1695 times

You can observe how nodes have elegant look, connections and multiple functionalities
with four buttons (bypass,lock,template,display) yet they look simple.
Furthermore, the reason there is only an icon in the middle is that there are 4 buttons, 2 on either side, to help you quickly control common node functions, like bypass or display, without needing a shortcut key or menu to do it (even though both those things also exist).

Thanks to Avinash Lobo for more clarification on the basics of this topic.
For more elaborated info, read Avinash's reply below starting with this image...
Last edited by geeteshsaini on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Hendrik Proosa

Re: UI: Silky Smooth Fusion Compositor

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 4:04 pm

Houdini nodegraph is even harder to read than new Fusion one, all nodes are same color and that icon is so faint it is useless. Horizontal occupation is bigger for a lot of nodes in that Houdini example because node label is also taking space. Smooth lines and corners are kind of tasty, but what is the most obvious ugly aspect in Fu is the misalignment of lines when node has two top inputs. For example stacked merge nodes form a pattern of Z-s which is imho yucky.

First thing I would change in Fu nodegraph is the node coloring. Replace that stupid thin line with full colored bg.
I do stuff

Alex Silva

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 4:59 pm

I don't like the Houdini node graph icons.
It is dead now but i prefer much more the Softimage XSI ICE node graph , color coded and with easy to do compounds.

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 8:34 pm

I prefer the bottom image (Fusion).
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

geeteshsaini

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 9:25 pm

Alex Silva wrote:I don't like the Houdini node graph icons.
It is dead now

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Houdini nodegraph is even harder to read than new Fusion one, all nodes are same color and that icon is so faint it is useless.

Do you guys know this about Houdini? #VideoBelow
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/videos/stitch_tool.mp4

Alex Silva

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 9:57 pm

It is a one good idea Geetesh.

Here is an example of ICE nodes and how to work with them. Notice how the node can be opened, how it is descriptive inputs and color coded.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 12:54 am

I like the idea of merge nodes with multiple inputs.... that I like...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Dermot Shane

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 2:54 am

+1 to Softimage style node tree's

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 7:36 am

That ICE graph is what Blender also does. It has its benefits for flows where a lot of different data types are moved around, like 3D. Not sure it is so useful in comp, where most of data is image data in single stream, but why not.
I do stuff

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 7:38 am

o my god i really love houdini's node graph, and houdini in general. Houdini is really a great example in how workflows are carefully fine tuned. There are so many options, shortcuts, workflow enhancements which you in advance never expected you wouldn't want to miss. I'd love to see a little more of that in fusion's node graph, or in resolve in general.

Alex Silva

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 12:11 pm

Note that in Softimage ICE a node can be saved to your computer as file, it does not only exist in node graph, you can share it, send it to anyone and even password protect it and make a "plugin" .

eikonoklastes

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 12:53 pm

I have used several node-based applications over many, many years, and Houdini's Network Editor is hands-down the finest node experience out there, by a long shot. I'm not talking about how visually pleasing they are, but how many usability features they offer that can make dealing with complex networks a lot easier.

Cinema 4D's XPresso is the worst, with Resolve's Color Page a close second-worst. They're both arguably more visually pleasing to look at than Houdini, but holy hell, do they both suck hard at their job.

Fusion is not bad, but doesn't hold a candle to Houdini. It would do well to ape several quality of life features that Houdini offers.

Houdini has two node flow paradigms - one that flows vertically downward, and one that flows horizontally across (pretty much exactly the same as XSI's or Blender's Geometry nodes), and they're both first-class node experiences.

The sheer number of useful features that Houdini's node editor has, that Fusion does not, would not make this a practically-sized post for me to list here. Any feature that you have used in another node-based app, and any feature that you wished existed in the node-based app you use, pretty much certainly already exists in Houdini.

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 1:15 pm

by the way, OP's houdini image is stitched together it seems, so i can imagine it could look a bit cluttered and unclear. But man, what a difference houdini makes. It's like having superpowers. Also searching for nodes/effects feels like it could beat googles search function.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 1:38 pm

Alex Silva wrote:Note that in Softimage ICE a node can be saved to your computer as file, it does not only exist in node graph, you can share it, send it to anyone and even password protect it and make a "plugin" .

If you copy a node in Fu it exists in copy buffer as a piece of text with same properties except encryption possibility.
I do stuff

Alex Silva

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 3:33 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:
Alex Silva wrote:Note that in Softimage ICE a node can be saved to your computer as file, it does not only exist in node graph, you can share it, send it to anyone and even password protect it and make a "plugin" .

If you copy a node in Fu it exists in copy buffer as a piece of text with same properties except encryption possibility.

Thanks. Did not know that, i am not as advanced in Fusion.

eikonoklastes

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 4:41 am

The OP's Houdini screenshot really does not do it any justice, the way he has crammed multiple, complex networks into one composite, overlapping image!

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Houdini nodegraph is even harder to read than new Fusion one, all nodes are same color
In Houdini, any node can be given a colour, and certain node types already ship with certain colour defaults to help differentiate them by function. You can change these defaults to whatever you want.

Hendrik Proosa wrote:and that icon is so faint it is useless.
The icon is not important, except to very loosely identify the type of node. Two of the same node types can be doing very different things, so far more important differentiators are the node name, colour, shape or comment. All these concepts are demonstrated here:

Furthermore, the reason there is only an icon in the middle is that there are 4 buttons, 2 on either side, to help you quickly control common node functions, like bypass or display, without needing a shortcut key or menu to do it (even though both those things also exist).

This is further augmented by a Node Ring that can optionally appear when you're zoomed out a lot. When you zoom out, the nodes get smaller, so those buttons also get smaller. The Node Ring makes it easy to activate those buttons in that state.

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Horizontal occupation is bigger for a lot of nodes in that Houdini example because node label is also taking space.

Yes, and this is functionally superior to Fusion's node label where you are restricted to the width of the node. In Houdini, you can go nuts with the node name, making it as descriptive as you could possibly want. Of course, you don't have to use a long name, and can also keep the names extremely short if you choose. Houdini also retains the label of the node type (in the faded text above the name), so you can identify what the node's function is, even if the icon is unrecognisable.

Furthermore, node name width limit is not affected by zoom level, so similarly named nodes are identifiable even from a distance.

Contrast to Fusion, and you very quickly hit a width limit.

Hendrik Proosa wrote:First thing I would change in Fu nodegraph is the node coloring. Replace that stupid thin line with full colored bg.

Fully agree with this. This was actually how it was before, and Blackmagic changed it to the current state, a significant step backwards in usability.

geeteshsaini

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 am

eikonoklastes wrote:The OP's Houdini screenshot really does not do it any justice, the way he has crammed multiple, complex networks into one composite, overlapping image!

Avinash, I've mentioned your explanation above in my post.
Thanks for clearing basics for people new to Houdini.
This needed to be put there in order to first give a full idea
to newcomers about Functionality of Houdini Nodes

Alex Silva

Re: UI: Silky Smooth Fusion Connections and Node Designs

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 pm

In Softimage ICE you could add a comment node.

geeteshsaini

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 4:38 pm

Alex Silva wrote:In Softimage ICE you could add a comment node.

Alex, There's a message for you in a node named (polyextrude_i_m_simple)
addcomment2.jpg
shape and comment
addcomment2.jpg (211.45 KiB) Viewed 1709 times

Alex Silva

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 6:03 pm

:D Yeah we had that in XSI and you could put them in node of nodes and node of nodes of nodes...

Dermot Shane

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 3:50 am

and XSI nodes / trees can be opened in DS, they are the same, with the exception that DS has alot more operators, those won't show up in in XSI

i think of XSI's comp as DS lite...

Alex Silva

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 12:42 pm

I think so, but those were the Softimage compositor nodes.
In this case i only have shown Softimage ICE nodes.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 2:17 pm

for a while i was playing with Nuke and I like their workflow/flowchart/node structure/notes/grouping/names of nodes/color .... and son on.....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Abdurahman Tumgaev

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 8:15 am

I generally agree with everything, except that in the image OP posted, there's not enough color coding for the individual nodes, also lines that connect the nodes are a bit too thin for my liking, but generally, usability would improve a lot!
I especially love the feature with which you can draw over many nodes and connect them that way, that's totally awesome (https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/vid ... h_tool.mp4)

David Chabashvili

PostFri Jul 14, 2023 6:08 am

Please, please get rid of those lines and bring back solid color for nodes. Please !

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Houdini nodegraph is even harder to read than new Fusion one, all nodes are same color and that icon is so faint it is useless. Horizontal occupation is bigger for a lot of nodes in that Houdini example because node label is also taking space. Smooth lines and corners are kind of tasty, but what is the most obvious ugly aspect in Fu is the misalignment of lines when node has two top inputs. For example stacked merge nodes form a pattern of Z-s which is imho yucky.

First thing I would change in Fu nodegraph is the node coloring. Replace that stupid thin line with full colored bg.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests