Fusion/Color - encapsulate modules in nodes?

• Author

eikonoklastes

Fusion/Color - encapsulate modules in nodes?

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 12:15 pm

As far as feature requests go, this is admittedly a pretty extravagant one.

Right now, Fusion and Color are frustratingly disconnected from each other, allowing only superficial levels of communication between the two.

It's quite common for me to run into a scenario where I need to take the current state of my (incomplete) Fusion comp and leverage some of the excellent tools on the Color page. It can't be done, without exporting the entire comp at that state, importing into Color, doing the grade, exporting the result and the reimporting that grade back into Fusion to continue comping.

Would it be technically possible to wrap a Fusion comp into a node on the Color page, or vice-versa - a Color session into a Fusion node?

If, for example, on the Fusion page, there was a node called Color, then that would open a Color session of the current Fusion comp state being fed into it (as just 1 clip), and output the result of the Color grade, allowing the best of both worlds to seamlessly integrate.

Something like this perhaps

Sven H

Re: Fusion/Color - encapsulate modules in nodes?

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 12:36 pm

Yes that's possible already.

If you right click on a clip in the timeline (Edit Page) and choose Create Fusion Clip, it will compound the clip with grading applied into a fusion comp. Not that I would advise that tbh but it's possible.

Side note, tese clips are in the timeline resolution (as all compound clips) so there might be some loss of quality

Sander de Regt

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 12:44 pm

This would be a great addition for the color page as well, just add a 'black box' node where the switch needs to take place. It would simplify the concept of things like compound clips/fusion clips etc
That way you could disable/enable the color page changes at will as well.

Just have things happen at the moment the user needs it.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Andy Mees

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 2:27 pm

It feels like the UI (and functionality) is actually already halfway there... we can already pipe stuff out to the Color page at any point by adding new Media Out's in the Fusion flow...
Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 15.07.09.png
Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 15.07.09.png (155.34 KiB) Viewed 389 times

and then adding the corresponding additional Source's in the Color Flow...
Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 15.11.30.png
Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 15.11.30.png (220.43 KiB) Viewed 389 times

But currently there's no way to create corresponding additional Output's, in Color, to pipe interim corrections back in to Fusion.

Allowing that would be pretty cool, effectively utilising more than one active node tree per clip in Color.

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 4:29 pm

Maybe the addition of a new Fusion node - Output to Color?

Whatever you do in Color would be the output of that node back in Fusion.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sven H

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 5:11 pm

my hopes are that they eventually migrate both fusion and color to one thing, but I don't know if they will ever do that. there's several reasons why thats a good idea

Sander de Regt

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 7:22 pm

Unfortunately there are also several reasons why it's not.
Performance on the color page is much higher than it is on the Fusion page - as it should - because grading and vfx are two completely different things. Fusion can definitely become faster, but as real time as color isn't very likely to happen, so combining them into one will cripple them both.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests