"Ignore File name" toggle on relink media

• Author

cire30a

"Ignore File name" toggle on relink media

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 10:22 am

I would like to be able to batch rename File names at finder level and be able to relink them in resolve, but i cant get this to work. this is a feature premiere has to ignore the file name and it searches for clip duration and other things... it would be very useful when im given these projects with 10 reels of 00001

Tero Ahlfors

Re: "Ignore File name" toggle on relink media

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 11:02 am

cire30a wrote:this is a feature premiere has to ignore the file name and it searches for clip duration and other things...

This is also a feature in Resolve. Chapter 56, page 1019 in the latest manual.

cire30a

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 11:12 am

is this what your referring to? thats a big chapter.

Using the Import Additional Clips commands: The process of importing media just for missing clips in a timeline can be automated by right-clicking that timeline in the Media Pool and using
the Timelines > Import > Additional Clips With Loose (or Tight) Filename Match contextual menu commands, which automatically search the selected directory tree of your file system for media that matches all of the offline clips in that timeline. The “Loose Filename Match” command ignores file extensions (letting you conform to alternate media formats), while the “Tight Filename Match” command requires file extensions to match.

Andy Mees

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 5:01 pm

+1 for adding general relink matching options other than Filename eg Timecode, Duration etc. I've had cause to use that option in Premiere in the past, it would be no less useful in Resolve.

That said, I think Tero is maybe thinking of Resolve's timeline 'Reconform' functions (same chapter):
DaVinci Resolve has the ability to choose custom conform options to control what metadata is used to match timeline clips to source clips in the Media Pool. This means that you’re not restricted to only using Timecode, Reel Name, and File Name, you could also use any combination of Total Duration, Resolution, Bit Depth, Frame Rate, File Format, Codec, and/or Media UMID/UID to control how clips are conformed, depending on your needs and the problem you have to solve

As noted, this is for conforming timelines though, not generic Media Pool relinking operations. You can certainly point a timeline at a Media Storage location full of renamed files and the above method could be used to relink the targeted timeline clips based on your Conform Options choices, but those conformed instances would be linked to new Media Pool items that Resolve would automatically add. The original Media Pool items would remain unlinked/offline.

An alternative Resolve workflow option to consider, when discovering (after the fact) that you're working with multiple files that are not uniquely named, would be to use Resolve's metadata tag options to automatically assign unique clip names to those clips within Resolve... its not as robust as having genuinely unique media filenames tho.

cire30a

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 12:46 pm

another sruggle i have is when its says your missing three clips and they dont tell you what they are? no idea and then it stops relinking all of them if those three are missing.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests