Color bug when applying grade from other clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MJorgenson

Color bug when applying grade from other clip

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 3:19 pm

There's a small bug that I noticed in the color page. I've got a bunch of ProRes clips that I was adjusting white balance on. So I would middle click on an adjusted clip to apply the grade. However, I noticed that sometimes the newly adjusted clip would be zoomed in slightly after applying. After a little playing around it seems that I was also applying any stabilization from that clip to the new clip.
Long story short: Applying a grade to a clip is also copying the stabilization from the source clip. Please fix?

Andy Mees

Re: Color bug when applying grade from other clip

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 4:00 pm

That's as designed. Not a bug. When copying grades, by default you're copying both Color and Sizing information. You can optionally choose to copy either Color only or Sizing only by selecting the appropriate option from the Color Page Keyframes panel or the Mark menu > Keyframe Timeline Mode submenu.

MJorgenson

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 6:13 pm

Sorry, I think I forgot to add that the stabilization was done on the Edit page, not the color page. So that's why I'm confused.

Andy Mees

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 7:29 pm

Yep, the Edit Page Stabilization function and Color Page Stabilizer share the same data... look at the Clips panel in the Color Page, you will see that the 'Stabilize' icon is present on any stabilized clips regardless of whether they were stabilised in the Color or Edit Pages; similarly, look in the Stabilizer window within the Color Page's Tracker tab, you will see that the Edit Page tracking data is displayed, just as if it had been processed in the Color Page.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Oct 09, 2022 3:39 am

Before applying color from a previous clip, choose Mark -> Keyframe Timeline Mode -> Color, and only color will copy over -- no position changes and no PTZR tracking.

All this is covered extensively in the manual, Chapter 138 "Grade Management," starting on p. 3008. This is a mission-critical chapter that anybody doing color has got to know before trying to color grade or copy color grades.

As a general rule of thumb, I never copy anything except the specific thing I need. And another tip: when doing dynamic changes, I only do it to the specific node involved, not all nodes. I think it's "neater" that way, and it also allows me to make sure nothing else is changing except the specific function I need.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve