Fairlight - Keyframing effect sliders

• Author

demaurice

Fairlight - Keyframing effect sliders

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 1:54 pm

Hi, there is this one thing that I would really like to see in Resolve. I use a lot of audio effects on my clips and in fairlight, but I always have difficulty trying automate changes for these plugins.

For example: Sometimes I want a song that I'm using to fade in using a lowpass filter and sweep up. Currently I have to either do this in another program and import the audio, hoping it's timed as I wanted it or make two audio clips, and use an audio cross fade to kinda get the result I want.

This is just a simple example but often I want to automate other things like distortions or even VST effect sliders in the timeline or fairlight. I have found somewhere that there is a way to record changes as the video is playing live. But after trying this it gives very poor control of timing and no visual way to see where you made automations.

The added attachment show one of the VST plugins I use which I would like to automate the sliders of. If there was just a simple diamond next to the slider just like video slider as 'zoom' 'position' etc it would really enhance my workflow and creativity using Resolve. If there was then a way to show the automation in the fairlight or edit timeline under the corresponding clip this would be perfect. I'd love it to be like automation clips in software like FL studio or Ableton.
Attachments
Resolve feature request slider keyframing.png
Resolve feature request slider keyframing.png (206.22 KiB) Viewed 553 times

Reynaud Venter

Re: Fairlight - Keyframing effect sliders

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 5:54 pm

Consider learning the Fairlight automation system. Resolve 18.1.1 has expanded the UI-based editing feature set.

Refer to:
Resolve 18.1 Manual | Page 3638 | Chapter 174 | Automation Recording
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Charles Bennett

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 10:33 am

If you use a plugin on a track you have access to all the controls that can be automated. The pic shows the Soundtoys SIE-Q and the selectable automation items. Automation can be done with either a controller or keyframing.
Plugin Automation on a Track.jpg
Plugin Automation on a Track.jpg (102.8 KiB) Viewed 533 times
You can also display the automation lanes. This is showing Fader Level.
Automation Lane Display.jpg
Automation Lane Display.jpg (189.06 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

demaurice

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 11:22 am

I see now how this would be done, thank you for the explanation.

Still I feel like this is not intuitive. Why do some sliders have the diamond next to them to insert and change keyframes and others don't? If there is space for this next to every slider then every slider should have them right? I see that I can keyframe effects that I've put on the fairlight bus, but I still can not keyframe audio effects from the edit page or audio effects that I've put on a single clip.

Maybe it would be great to be able to do this in the edit page by right clicking an audio clip and be able to change the automation clip type there as well. Would really enhance a fast workflow of projects where I don't touch the fairlight page much.

I'm glad that it is at least possible, and I can adjust my workflow to it. But after years of working in Resolve I've always worked around this because I just couldn't find the right way to do it.

Matt.perrott

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 11:58 pm

As suggested, reset your approach and look at the automation system. It is designed for this and is far more flexible and efficient for these tasks.
Matt Perrott - Mighty Sound

DR Studio 18.x
Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB Ram - Ultra Studio 4k Mini, MTRX Studio / Digiface DANTE
MBP 16 Inch M1 Max 32GB Ram

demaurice

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 9:27 am

Matt.perrott wrote:As suggested, reset your approach and look at the automation system. It is designed for this and is far more flexible and efficient for these tasks.

Yes you're right, and it's a good way to keyframe effects. But I can't help and think that it's weird how you can not keyframe them when you put the effect on the single clip instead of the whole audio track. Not that long ago I had never touched the Fairlight page and it would seem obvious to be able to do this from the edit page in the effects tab. It would also save me a lot of time for smaller projects that get edited in a few hours max, where I want to work a little messy and don't really bother putting every layer of audio on seperate tracks.
I'm just saying that this could be a small feature that improves a more flexible way of using resolve and gives a more new-user friendly experience.

Matt.perrott

PostFri Dec 16, 2022 2:32 am

It is certainly a viable suggestion and could be an interesting addition :)
Matt Perrott - Mighty Sound

DR Studio 18.x
Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB Ram - Ultra Studio 4k Mini, MTRX Studio / Digiface DANTE
MBP 16 Inch M1 Max 32GB Ram

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests