renaming of a database

• Author

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

renaming of a database

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 5:06 pm

it happens (for reasons..) that a database is creaed with a silly/wrong/bogus name.
One real example is the "Untitled showtimes laker project", nicknamed "USLP", then renamed to "showtime" then in the final incarnation as "Winning_Times_s01" (s01 is for season 1).

unfortunately, you are stuck with the original database name you started the project with (for us was Showtimes) and there is no elegant way to rename it.

so.... what about either a "rename" tool OR the ability to call the database whatever and have an "alias" name in the machine?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Santiago

Re: renaming of a database

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 6:36 pm

+1
The workaround is to create a new database with a good and pretty name, then copy all your projects there. That's what I do, but I prefer to rename it.

Enviado desde mi CLT-L09 mediante Tapatalk

waltervolpatto

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 7:31 pm

Santiago wrote:+1
The workaround is to create a new database with a good and pretty name, then copy all your projects there. That's what I do, but I prefer to rename it.

Enviado desde mi CLT-L09 mediante Tapatalk

I know, but at work we have too many machines, it will be morre convenient to just have the name updated than anything else....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 6:32 am

waltervolpatto wrote:so.... what about either a "rename" tool OR the ability to call the database whatever and have an "alias" name in the machine?

Totally +1 on this. I'm not sure why it can't be done in the DaVinci Resolve Project Server app, which you think could have a RENAME DATABASE button. On occasions where we've had to rename databases, we create the new database name and then laboriously copy over chunks of it (as outlined above).

I bet it would be possible to do provided you're logged-out of the database and don't have any projects open. You'd think that could be done.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 5:03 pm

I like this idea.

Small addition - allow all keyboard characters in the name, including spaces. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 8:28 am

Jim Simon wrote:I like this idea. Small addition - allow all keyboard characters in the name, including spaces. ;)

No, that's a bad idea. We've standardized on lower-case, no High-ASCII characters, and an underscore instead of a space in all Project Database names. We did that because "It's a Linux Thing." I believe Baselight has the same situation. This makes Resolve compatible between Mac / Windows / Linux.

About the only thing we do allow is a dash (not a hyphen), so I can call a session "client_name_project_season_episode_11-28-2022," like so:

netflix_big_show_s01ep102_11-28-2022

The Project Database would be set up with the client & show name, so

netflix_big_show_s01_2022

would be a way to corral all the session files in one place. Every facility has their own internal standards for project naming, but it can get complicated when a) there's multiple versions of shows in progress, b) there's multiple people working on the same show at the same time, and c) there's multiple facilities in different cities doing the work.

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 6:01 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:We've standardized on...
Well, my work flow has a different standard that favors capitals and spaces.

So I want 'em. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Lucas87

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 12:19 pm

Yet again a basic function I support adding... +1

Marc Wielage

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 1:02 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:We've standardized on...
Well, my work flow has a different standard that favors capitals and spaces.

You could always change. I can point out 2 or 3 published workflow guides that say the same thing I'm saying. All professional camera files (at least from Alexa, Blackmagic, Red, Sony Venice, etc.) also use underscores in lieu of spaces, I think also because of the Linux thing. If you use shared storage in a medium-to-large facility, the drive may forbid you from using spaces from file names or project names.

Of course, users can choose any method they want. I'm going by the last few versions of Resolve (prior to 18), where I think it HAD to be in lower case. To me, as long as it's man-readable and everybody using the Project Database can understand what it is, it's fine. I've worked for facilities where the databases had bizarre naming conventions like "xyz_123_1126", and you had no idea what was actually in it until you actually opened it. In some cases, this was an internal security thing, so the database wasn't called "BIG_NEW_MARVEL_MOVIE," which is what it really was.

cayubal

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 5:47 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I like this idea.

Small addition - allow all keyboard characters in the name, including spaces. ;)

No database expert here but as far as I know the naming of PostgreSQL databases has to follow certain conventions ("names must only consist of the letters a to z (both lower and upper case allowed), the numbers 0 to 9, and the underscore ( _ ) or dash ( - ) symbols.").

Albert Hofmann

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 11:36 pm

Renaming a PostgreSQL database, like with most other database servers, can easily be done with the SQL command
Code: Select all
ALTER DATABASE your_old_db_name RENAME TO new_db_name;

And it can be done with any database management interface which supports PostgreSQL.

The basic install comes with "psql", the "PostgreSQL interactive terminal".

So if you don't already have a fancy GUI interface for PostgreSQL, you can use the Windows command-line or the MacOS (or Linux) Terminal, and enter:

psql -U postgres -c "ALTER database your_old_db_name RENAME TO new_db_name;"

waltervolpatto

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 3:39 am

Albert Hofmann wrote:Renaming a PostgreSQL database, like with most other database servers, can easily be done with the SQL command
ALTER DATABASE your_old_db_name RENAME TO new_db_name;

And it can be done with any database management interface which supports PostgreSQL.

The basic install comes with "psql", the "PostgreSQL interactive terminal".

So if you don't already have a fancy GUI interface for PostgreSQL, you can use the Windows command-line or the MacOS (or Linux) Terminal, and enter:

psql -U postgres -c "ALTER database your_old_db_name RENAME TO new_db_name;"

I am aware of that, but it is only half of the story and it is precisely why I would like to happen in resolve:
1) disconnect the database
2) rename the database at PostgreSQL level
3) reconnect the database with the new name
4) perhaps if another resolve was connected to the same database, alert for closure before do that (for safety)
5) if other have the same database with the old name, upon opening, a flag will put the choice to connect to the newly renamed one.

It is not “just changing the PostgreSQL” name, is a bit more more complex than that….

Tdiz123

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 8:33 pm

I just spent 30 minutes trying to get an answer on how to rename a database in DR. :shock:
This ought to be waaaaaay easier!

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests