Audio Sidechain for VST Plugins

• Author

Tekkerue

Audio Sidechain for VST Plugins

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 3:26 am

Provide the capability to sidechain with VST effects, currently sidechaining is only possible using Resolve's Dynamics effect.

Suggestion:
1) Provide sidechain inputs for each track that any other track in the project can send to.
2) Route the track's sidechain signal to the sidechain inputs for all VSTs (with sidechain capabilities) inserted on the track.
3) Setting a VST to "external sidechain" will use the track's sidechain signal.

Example:
Track 1: Create a send to Track 2 Sidechain
Track 2: Add a VST compressor and set it to "external sidechain". The VST will compress Track 2 using Track 1 as the sidechain.

Thank you!
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

robertshami

Re: Audio Sidechain for VST Plugins

PostSat Apr 02, 2022 12:46 am

+1 this, it's so frustrating not having it
roarstudio.it

Alex=Alex

PostSat Apr 02, 2022 7:09 pm

Mixer overhaul in general would be very nice.
Inside the box? I didn't know about any box...

Tekkerue

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 3:57 am

Alex=Alex wrote:Mixer overhaul in general would be very nice.

Agreed! VST sidechaining is my top audio priority, but the mixer really does need an overhaul too.

GrizzlyAK

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 10:00 pm

+1

I guess I don't use Fairlight enough because I just (sillily) assumed that side-chaning capability was a given (in pretty much ANY multitrack capable DAW). :?
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface

Tekkerue

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 10:34 pm

Technically there IS sidechaining but only using Resolve's dynamics effect and not for VST plugins. And from what I can tell (I'm relatively new to Resolve myself) you only get one track to use for sidechaining.

I came from Vegas Pro which didn't have sidechaining and that was a major annoyance. When I was looking at other video editors and found Resolve, I got excited when I saw that it had sidechaining....then I became less excited when I tried to use it. It's there just barely enough to put it in their feature list, but it's extremely limited and clunky.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's like Resolve learned to run before it learned to crawl. They can implement all of these incredible mind-blowing features like AI tracking and masking that seems like magic, brilliant color effects, and yet it doesn't do simple tasks correctly that practically every other editor has been able to do for years. Resolve has so much to offer, but simple things like this really hold it back IMO.

GrizzlyAK

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 10:46 pm

Agree 100%. Technology can only overshadow usability issues for so long. Lots of people stay with their trusted DAWs for years living without the latest and greatest features due to familiarity, which is sometimes equated to usability. But missing (basic) functionality is another issue altogether. I do believe BMD is beginning to pay more attention to these types of issues though.
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface

Tekkerue

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 11:05 pm

GrizzlyAK wrote:I do believe BMD is beginning to pay more attention to these types of issues though.

I hope so. I was really looking forward to v18 to see what updates would be done in the Edit page (where my major complaints are) but it was neglected entirely in the v18 beta. These basic tasks need to be rock solid, not tacked on as an afterthought.

Alex=Alex

PostSun Apr 24, 2022 2:52 pm

Coming as a 6 year power user of FL Studio, i wish they had a mixer similar to theirs.

But i also still need to get used to the different workflows of resolve.

Alex=Alex

PostSun Apr 24, 2022 2:52 pm

Coming as a 6 year power user of FL Studio, i wish they had a mixer similar to theirs.

But i also still need to get used to the different workflows of resolve.

okiewardoyo

PostSat May 28, 2022 5:46 pm

+1
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Joe Shapiro

PostSat May 28, 2022 9:58 pm

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Jim Simon

PostMon May 30, 2022 6:25 pm

This would be good.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

stathis

PostThu Jun 09, 2022 6:29 am

Sidechain for VST's. Yes. Please.

decayedxistence

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 5:41 pm

+1 VST sidechain would be HUGE.

Heard a few other audio post people recently who just realized this option are were completely bummed out.

Jason Tackaberry

PostFri Sep 09, 2022 11:57 pm

Unhappy with how Fairlight's built-in compressor was performing, I pulled in my trusty Pro-C2 (because I wanted lookahead) and fumbled around trying to figure out how to sidechain it. I thought for sure sidechaining with VSTs was possible by now -- I'd have lost that bet!
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

hockinsk

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 1:33 pm

It's a shame not all the Fabfilters have the ability to sidechain to each other without need to use the DAWs sidechain. Pro Q3 allows audio from one instance to send to another for sidechain use for example.

DDMF Metaplugin VST has a feature called 'SendIt' and that allows audio from one metaplugin to send to another metaplugin instance on another track/bus. I use that a bit. I'm sure there's other VST sidechain solutions out there too for hosts that don't natively have sidechaining ability.
Intel i7, 32GB LPDDR4, NVIDIA GTX 1650 6GB, Windows 10, Davinci Resolve Studio 18.0.4

hockinsk

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 4:51 pm

Just in case anyone stumbles on this in a search looking for VST side-chaining. This is a way to do it with Metaplugin. Luckily DDMF still include their old Sendit plugin from years ago when it was more common problem to be working in VST hosts without sidechain functionality. You just set one to sidechain track fx (passthrough if you are including the sidechain audio in the output mix too obviously). Then host your VST that needs a sidechain in Metaplugin with a Sidechain loaded to receive the sidechain on that channel.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (759.78 KiB) Viewed 7653 times
Intel i7, 32GB LPDDR4, NVIDIA GTX 1650 6GB, Windows 10, Davinci Resolve Studio 18.0.4

Vit Reiter

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 12:06 pm

hockinsk wrote:Just in case anyone stumbles on this in a search looking for VST side-chaining. This is a way to do it with Metaplugin. Luckily DDMF still include their old Sendit plugin from years ago when it was more common problem to be working in VST hosts without sidechain functionality. You just set one to sidechain track fx (passthrough if you are including the sidechain audio in the output mix too obviously). Then host your VST that needs a sidechain in Metaplugin with a Sidechain loaded to receive the sidechain on that channel.
The free StudioRack from Waves can do the same:
https://www.waves.com/plugins/studiorack#image
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Octavian Mot

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 12:23 pm

hockinsk wrote:Just in case anyone stumbles on this in a search looking for VST side-chaining. This is a way to do it with Metaplugin. Luckily DDMF still include their old Sendit plugin from years ago when it was more common problem to be working in VST hosts without sidechain functionality. You just set one to sidechain track fx (passthrough if you are including the sidechain audio in the output mix too obviously). Then host your VST that needs a sidechain in Metaplugin with a Sidechain loaded to receive the sidechain on that channel.

This Metaplugin thing is cool since it practically makes Fairlight a sort of node based routing system where your plugins and channels are the nodes and you can connect them however you want.

I wish Resolve had at least built-in plugin-level patching available, instead of only allowing you to patch tracks. But until then (if ever), this looks like a great tool if you want to avoid round-trips between Resolve and another DAW.

Thanks for the tip!
Trying to keep it together at mots.us
Taming AI for filmmaking at StoryToolkit.ai

hockinsk

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 10:35 am

There's several out there in the vst hosting vsts. Plogue Bidule probably the most powerful, I personally prefer Krushview Element. There's Bluecat Patchwork. If you're wanting to use a second computer to do the VST processing then Audiogridder is very good. I've used that for live work where I don't want to bounce the VSTs to audio, that way you can have a second computer just do some heavy VST lifting, but view the plugin from the DAW.
https://audiogridder.com/

hockinsk

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 10:41 am

Vit Reiter wrote:The free StudioRack from Waves can do the same:

Cool, didn't know that could do sidechaining between tracks. I generally steer clear from Waves as always heavy on GUI imo.

Octavian Mot

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 6:57 am

hockinsk wrote:There's several out there in the vst hosting vsts. Plogue Bidule probably the most powerful, I personally prefer Krushview Element. There's Bluecat Patchwork. If you're wanting to use a second computer to do the VST processing then Audiogridder is very good. I've used that for live work where I don't want to bounce the VSTs to audio, that way you can have a second computer just do some heavy VST lifting, but view the plugin from the DAW.
https://audiogridder.com/

That's a good list to know!

I already bought Metaplugin and it works well in Resolve 18 on my Macbook M1. Although, if you load the plugins via Metaplugin, their UIs are a bit slow when playing back, but I think the routing and all other advantages you have with this system are worth it.

hockinsk wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:The free StudioRack from Waves can do the same:

Cool, didn't know that could do sidechaining between tracks. I generally steer clear from Waves as always heavy on GUI imo.

I tried StudioRack and I couldn't find a way to route audio between sidechained plugins from other tracks.
Trying to keep it together at mots.us
Taming AI for filmmaking at StoryToolkit.ai

Vit Reiter

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:07 am

Octavian Mot wrote:I tried StudioRack and I couldn't find a way to route audio between sidechained plugins from other tracks.
You're right. Sorry for the bad tip.

I thought StudioRack could do that. I recently installed it for exactly that reason.
I hope Blackmagic adds Sidechaning natively.

Tekkerue

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 5:03 am

DDMF is on Black Friday sale right now for $35.40 instead of $60. I was considering getting this before when I was using Vegas (which also doesn't have sidechaining), but ultimately decided against it at $60.

If BMD isn't planning on adding VST sidechaning anytime soon, then this might be the best option. Plus DDMF also provides oversampling for plugins that don't provide internal oversampling.

hockinsk

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 12:27 pm

Be aware, I'm not sure if the SendIt plugin is still included in Metaplugin V4. It certainly isn't in the version I've downloaded to update, but haven't explored if DDMF are doing it directly from the MetaPlugin instead now.

Tekkerue

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 1:48 am

hockinsk wrote:Be aware, I'm not sure if the SendIt plugin is still included in Metaplugin V4. It certainly isn't in the version I've downloaded to update, but haven't explored if DDMF are doing it directly from the MetaPlugin instead now.

Oh wow, you are correct. I just downloaded the latest demo and it does not include SendIt. I can't find anything on their website about this and the pdf file included with the demo mentions SendIt as though it should be included. I just sent them an email asking about this. Glad I hadn't purchased it yet in case this is no longer working because sidechaining is the only reason I'd need Metaplugin.

wsimpson

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 7:21 pm

+1000 on vst side chaining. Would like to use FabFilter ProC2 and all its features inside DaVinci Resolve.
Wallace Simpson

Tekkerue

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 9:08 pm

Tekkerue wrote:
hockinsk wrote:Be aware, I'm not sure if the SendIt plugin is still included in Metaplugin V4. It certainly isn't in the version I've downloaded to update, but haven't explored if DDMF are doing it directly from the MetaPlugin instead now.

Oh wow, you are correct. I just downloaded the latest demo and it does not include SendIt. I can't find anything on their website about this and the pdf file included with the demo mentions SendIt as though it should be included. I just sent them an email asking about this. Glad I hadn't purchased it yet in case this is no longer working because sidechaining is the only reason I'd need Metaplugin.

I just heard back from them and SendIt is now built into Metaplugin as an internal module and it is no longer a separate plugin. There is slightly more setup now as you have to route the inputs to the SendIt module inside of Metaplugin instead of just adding SendIt as its own plugin, but it's not too bad.

Unfortunately, I'm getting pops and clicks in Resolve (both the new internal SendIt module and the old SendIt plugin) when trying to use SendIt and increasing the buffer of my audio interface (Audient iD14) doesn't help. It works fine in my old editor Vegas Pro still, so this is something specific to Resolve. I am still on the 18 Beta and haven't updated yet, I'll back everything up and update to the latest version before I start a separate post asking about this problem. I want to make sure everything works before purchasing it, only a few days left on the Black Friday sale (ends on the 5th).

Tekkerue

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 9:23 pm

wsimpson wrote:+1000 on vst side chaining. Would like to use FabFilter ProC2 and all its features inside DaVinci Resolve.

Yes, exactly! And FabFilter ProMB and FabFilter Pro-Q3 too for multiband dynamics, which isn't possible at all in Resolve.

DDMF Metaplugin is kind of a workaround, although certainly not ideal. There is a noticeable delay when using SendIt, which limits how fast the sidechained compressor can react. When ducking background music or sounds, I want a fast attack to get the background sounds ducked out of the way immediately. Hopefully BMD will implement proper VST sidechaining soon.

JohnCiber

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 3:58 am

bumping this!
We really need thsi feature please Backmagic!

THanks!

Maheel R Perera

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 3:33 am

Bump

Please add Side Chaining for external plugIns.

mikerapadas

PostSat Jan 14, 2023 4:14 pm

+1 to adding sidechaining for VST plugins!

cottontail

PostSat Jan 21, 2023 9:41 pm

Didn't Blackmagic suggest side-chaining was around the corner 6 years ago? lol

hoping they implement this sooner rather than later.

bump

Tekkerue

PostSat Jan 21, 2023 11:06 pm

cottontail wrote:Didn't Blackmagic suggest side-chaining was around the corner 6 years ago? lol

Resolve does technically have sidechaining... but only for its dynamics processor and only one track can be used for the sidechain signal. It's extremely limited. Resolve lacking this one feature makes rendering all the audio out and round-tripping to another DAW a better option for me instead of staying completely inside Resolve.

elijahcroyle

PostMon Feb 27, 2023 5:59 pm

Yes! We need this! The ability to sidechain a third party plugin such as Waves F6 to have greater control over the mix between music and dialogue would be a huge win.

Vess Stoytchev

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 11:59 am

Tekkerue wrote:
cottontail wrote:Didn't Blackmagic suggest side-chaining was around the corner 6 years ago? lol

Resolve does technically have sidechaining... but only for its dynamics processor and only one track can be used for the sidechain signal. It's extremely limited. Resolve lacking this one feature makes rendering all the audio out and round-tripping to another DAW a better option for me instead of staying completely inside Resolve.

How do you roundtrip effectively to an other DAW? I always tend to export an xml, open in Premier and from there aaf or omf...
+1 for sidchaining vsts. I was currently trying do sidechain the low frequencies of the music track when vocals are active.

Vit Reiter

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 12:13 pm

Vess Stoytchev wrote:How do you roundtrip effectively to an other DAW? I always tend to export an xml, open in Premier and from there aaf or omf...
AAF straight from DaVinci.
OMF is an old protocol that you no longer need.

Using Premiere is not a good idea.

Tekkerue

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 11:18 pm

Vess Stoytchev wrote:How do you roundtrip effectively to an other DAW? I always tend to export an xml, open in Premier and from there aaf or omf...
Effectively?... I don't. :( My DAW Reaper doesn't support AAF or OMF natively (users have written scripts for this, but I haven't tried them yet), so basically just export individual audio tracks out from Resolve and load them into Reaper, then export the final mix and load it back into Resolve. I used to have to do this kind of stuff with Melodyne before ARA and it would be nice if I didn't have to do it again with Resolve.

+1 for sidchaining vsts. I was currently trying do sidechain the low frequencies of the music track when vocals are active.
Yes, there is no way to do multiband sidechaining in Resolve. I've got a lot of VSTs which I'd love to be able to use for this purpose, but cannot.

tsocrea

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 3:32 pm

+1 from me also

I consider this as critical lacking feature in Fairlight.

Also s.c. "Listen" channel shoud be avalable to all VST3 plugins, not exclusively for dyn section inside fairlight. So complete routability for both primary and sidechain audio AND complete routability to all channels and buses please!

-tso

Musicout

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 3:03 am

Yes please impliment this - It's a fundimental need and is why though I really like Fairlight's approach and would use it, I'm still doing post sound in Pro Tools.

whitea32

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 4:00 am

Please, Blackmagic, add this sidechain feature for VST plugins. Thank you.

xdbotx

PostWed Apr 26, 2023 1:07 am

PLEASE, Blackmagic, add this sidechain feature for VST plugins. Thank you.

Steve Alexander

PostSun May 07, 2023 1:30 pm

I was hoping for this in 18.5 (fingers crossed we get it in 19). Please :-)
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Michel Rabe

PostSun May 07, 2023 1:36 pm

+1

Tekkerue

PostSun May 07, 2023 3:17 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:I was hoping for this in 18.5
Same. :(

And maybe I'm asking too much... but Reaper allows for multiple sidechain channels on a single track and each plugin has a routing matrix where you can select which channel to use as its sidechain input. I just put this to use in a project where I rendered audio out of Resolve to edit/mix in Reaper.

In Reaper I was able to use two compressors on the background music track to duck the music in a different way based on whether there was spoken dialog or a sound effect. The sound effect only ducked the mid channel leaving the side information of the music intact while the dialog ducked everything to make the dialog sit completely on top of the music so it was clearly audible.

If Resolve had sidechaining like this, that would be incredible!

Andrew Abfal

PostSun May 07, 2023 5:11 pm

+1
Audio Post

Windows 10
Ryzen 5950x
RTX 4090
128GB DDR4

Jump&Jive

PostTue May 16, 2023 6:10 pm

I desperately want to use Izotope Neutron 4's clever and incredibly effective Unmasking Module in Fairlight but it requires sidechaining for this VST plug-in to work. Accordingly, I add my request and hope that BMD will see fit to make VST sidechaing work in Fairlight, like it does in virtually every other serious DAW. Thank you!

Jump&Jive

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 7:23 am

Has anyone noted whether latest Resolve/Fairlight updates (18.6) have now made it possible to create sidechains for and with VST plugins?

Have been continuing to use an older 18.4 version of Studio, hesitating to update to latest 18.6 in middle of a large job, but am wondering if anyone has been able to test 18.6 for this functionality - my curiosit piqued by this in the release notes:

"Support for parallel bus sends and outputs with up to three per bus tile."

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer. Best, Tom

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 7:40 am

The "Support for parallel bus sends and outputs with up to three per bus tile" item in the release notes refers to the ability to feed multiple destination Busses from a single Send tile in the Fairlight Mixer - with a maximum of three destinations per tile.

Command click the Bus Send or Bus Output tile to select multiple Destination Busses in the drop-down menu.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests